Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 09:20 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Nobody is saying they have to include fluff for all populations segments PER broadcast.

We're not saying add more fluff. We're just saying to spread the existing amount of fluff around.

Over an extended period of time, everyone should be represented fluff-wise.
I....can deal with that. I have no problem with that. Sure it's politically correct crap but whatever. Give the black community some props during the news' fluff pieces isn't a both for me personally.

But do you honestly think a group called Black Political Empowerment Project doesn't have an agenda to make all news completely slanted? We're going to eventually reach the point where reporting and pointing out black crime will be considered hate speech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 09:50 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
But do you honestly think a group called Black Political Empowerment Project doesn't have an agenda to make all news completely slanted? We're going to eventually reach the point where reporting and pointing out black crime will be considered hate speech.
Be careful you don't break your leg while sliding down that slippery slope.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:06 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,432 times
Lightbulb Not Necessarily The News

Quote:
I....can deal with that. I have no problem with that. Sure it's politically correct crap but whatever. Give the black community some props during the news' fluff pieces isn't a both for me personally.

And it's politically correct crap, why?

Further, I don't think the aim of those gentlemen is to slant the news...just to present a counterpoint to all the overwhelmingly negative stuff, that leads to stereotypes and over heated discussions like these...

Point of fact...if I'm living in Pittsburgh, and I'm black (which I am LOL), do I always need a steady diet of what Ray-Ray Pookie and them are up to? I understand that the media are going to report that stuff, and in a way I'd like to know, so I can continue living an upstanding crime-free life...

But there are SCADS of black folk in Pittsburgh, and other places, who actually are trying to address the 'problems in the black community', and they do it on a daily-weekly-monthly basis, and they need to be recognized, because they are making a difference...those gentlemen who are curently talking to the media about this aren't trying to slant the news one way---they're simply trying to bring to light that there's positive stuff going on in their community, and EVERYONE ain't trying to get measured for a jail cell or a coffin like (wait for it) Ray-Ray Pookie and them...

And by the way, I'm sorry, but reporting black crime being held in the same vein as hate speech? Nuh-uh...if someone black does something stupid like that, then put it on blast, by all means, so maybe someone who's teetering on the brink of 'going stupid' might have second thoughts...but then counter-balance that with news on those who are there to make a difference, and to KEEP them from the brink...at the end of the day, I think that's all those gentlemen, and a lot of others, are asking

Old 04-27-2011, 10:21 AM

I don't know what "Ray-Ray Pookie and them" means.

Obviously, I grasp what it's intended to mean.

But I have no idea where the phrase originates.

I've never heard it until this thread.

Clearly, I'm out of the loop. Maybe it's a good sign. Maybe not. Don't know.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:01 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,432 times
Lightbulb LOL...Sorry About That Hopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't know what "Ray-Ray Pookie and them" means.

Obviously, I grasp what it's intended to mean.

But I have no idea where the phrase originates.

I've never heard it until this thread.

Clearly, I'm out of the loop. Maybe it's a good sign. Maybe not. Don't know.
LOL...that's just a term I chose to use instead of continuously having to type 'thugs, knuckleheads, and criminals in the black community'...it's a term I believe some black comedians have used in the past to describe some of their 'shady' friends and relatives

Old 04-27-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
LOL...that's just a term I chose to use instead of continuously having to type 'thugs, knuckleheads, and criminals in the black community'...it's a term I believe some black comedians have used in the past to describe some of their 'shady' friends and relatives
Thanks for clarifying!

For a moment there, I felt like I had been living under a rock!

Then I thought, maybe it's a good thing if I'm living under this rock!

Old 04-27-2011, 12:02 PM

747 posts, read 1,231,915 times
Quote:
Putting in fluff pieces to uplift one part of the population while ignoring all others is the opposite of balance.

Pittsburgh is for the most part a black and white city. We see white fluff all to often. We also see who's cat, dog or donkey got shot. Is this considered news? " A cat was found shot" seriously! I have two young black children that sometimes watch the news. In order to combat the negative images in the media, I have to ensure that I shop at a black owned and run Giant Eagle. My dentist, pediatrician, and eye doctor are black as well. I come from a middle to upper middle class educated black family. I should see images of myself in the media. For the past 4 years I volunteered at the annual Dr. Charles Drew Science Fair held on the CMU campus. The science fair is open to all races and all races participate. The majority of the students are black inner city kids doing amazing things. Is this not news worthy? Do we really want to hear about a dog being shot or abused in some suburb? The white population of pittsburgh has never been ignored. It is the middle and upper middle class black population of SW PA that is.

Quote:
Come on, lets be honest, do you really think the news is going to be able to include fluff pieces on all portions of the population in an hour long broadcast? All this boils down to is, "hey, lets put some blinders on major problems in the black community instead of addressing the real issues at hand". It's part politically correct horseshit, part one sided journalism, and part propaganda.

It's like all common sense is lost when people start talking about race.
There are lots of Black people in this city addressing the issues at hand. I volunteer for the Pittsburgh Promise at Schenley High School. Through our efforts, 40 of 50 at risks young black men are on college campuses with $25,000-$40,000 in scholarships. I also teach childrens church and particpate in our marriage mentoring commitee. I along with many of our neighbors have a neighborhood cleanup and community garden group. I am also an assistant coach with the Lincoln Lemmington City league football team. The city footbal league keeps at risk youth off of the city streets from 5-8 M-F from July-November. In addition to all of this, I am a married young black professional raising two children.

The above stories and images should be apart of the local news stories period.

Quote:

I will pray for your bitterness.

Last edited by Yac; 04-28-2011 at 01:59 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged

Old 04-27-2011, 12:24 PM

Jesus, does everything need to have race attached to it in some way, shape, or form? A dog getting shot has nothing to do with race of any kind. Yet somehow this news is related to white people. I don't get it. Everything doesn't have to be a race issue.

I'm multi racial myself, yet I don't get upset when Puerto Ricans don't get any positive attention in any form of media. Everyone needs to get over themselves with this "white this, black that" separation.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:49 PM

747 posts, read 1,231,915 times
Quote:
Jesus, does everything need to have race attached to it in some way, shape, or form? A dog getting shot has nothing to do with race of any kind. Yet somehow this news is related to white people. I don't get it. Everything doesn't have to be a race issue.

I'm multi racial myself, yet I don't get upset when Puerto Ricans don't get any positive attention in any form of media. Everyone needs to get over themselves with this "white this, black that" separation.
Welcome to United States of America. This entire discussion is about black and white. The problem in that the "white this" is more positive than the "black that".

Old 04-27-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
Welcome to United States of America. This entire discussion is about black and white. The problem in that the "white this" is more positive than the "black that".
[citation needed]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh