Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 06:48 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I can only go by the numbers that are given me. They are called statistics. If you disagree with hard numbers, what am I going to gain by continuing. I guess you feel all police are corrupt and all want black people to go to jail at all costs? I have no idea what to think when you feel the numbers mean nothing because the man is out to get black people. What am I going to say to all that? Are we going to find common ground? I see no point.
I don't think we can find common ground because you are making all of these suppositions, particularly about me. I have no idea where you are getting the "hate whitey" and "the man out to get all black people". There is a very functional discussion about all of this. Before there were even a lot of black people in Pittsburgh, the Irish were discriminating against Italians. The Irish lived in Garfield, Italians in Bloomfield and Larimer. Germans lived in these neighborhoods prior to both and felt "forced" out by these later arriving immigrants. However, by the time blacks "took over" the Hill District and urban renewal projects (notably highways, housing projects, and the Civic Center construction) began to displace blacks, the Irish, Italians, and Germans had all adopted a "white" identity. So when whites left, the blacks that moved in were "invading" some pretty dilapidated neighborhoods. Keep in mind, there hasn't been much new residential construction in 50 years and what has been left behind is much older. Is there a good neighborhood left that has experienced the type of "urban renewal" the North Side has? Can these neighborhoods become Shadyside with housing projects in the middle of them?

So "whites" were able to gentrify Shadyside, a quality neighborhood to begin with. You don't think their was any sort of tension between the "Yinzers" and the yuppies, hipsters, and gays that moved into Shadyside? You don't seem particularly naive, but you doubt upscale retailers on Walnut don't want community policing to keep out poor populations? But how do you identify who is poor? Overalls and dirt smudges on cheeks?

I think this discussion got away from the original analysis. There are many white poor people in Western Pennsylvania and throughout Appalachia who committ crimes and are addicted to drugs. Having lived all up and down the I-81 corridor from Central New York to Central Virginia, almost no metropolitan area in Appalachia has a black population proportion of over 10%, including Pittsburgh which is the largest city in Appalachia. This is why I continue to be flabbergasted at this undue tension. I'm just agreeing that a lot of attention gets paid to just African American crime, just like too much attention was paid to "Italian" crime 100 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 11:45 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Not really. It is all about statistics. Just look at the inmate population in the Allegheny County Jail's percentage of black people and look at the percentage of black people in Allegheny County. It isn't at all about perspective, it is about real numbers. No one can do anything about statistics. They are what they are. The prisons over overrun with black people and the tax payers are of course paying the bills to keep them there. Wish they would at least make them clean up the litter in East Liberty, Homewood and the Hill, but whatever.
I personally can't do anything about the statistics. Those specific individuals made bad choices. People shouldn't commit crimes period, no matter what race he or she is.

That said, you also have to look behind the numbers. In fact, one of the posters just listed some of the bad things that often happen in the justice system. What I got out of it: The justice system isn't as fair as many would like to believe.

I can't much about a person if said person has already committed a crime. However, I can do something about what I do. That's why I'm in college, and that's why I'm getting closer to finishing and getting my degree. I am also holding a job. My father decided to heed his parents advice and get a good education. They were on him about stuff. He went to college, not only got a bachelor's degree, but later a masters degree. There are many African-Americans such as myself, and my father who are making the choice do NOT end up in prison, to strive for something better. Unfortunately, there hasn't been that much focus on the individual, but rather, the whole.

My point is that people who see these stats will look at them, then sometimes use it as a "justification" for treating me different. When I mean different, I mean not that nice.

This is why I am asking for more balance. For all of the African-Americans who are committing crimes, who are living up to those ugly stereotypes, there are also people like me and my father, and other African-Americans that I know who are doing good things with their lives. With that said, this is also true. For all of the African-Americans who get alot of attention for being crooks and criminals, guess who is being ignored? People like my father. People like some of my friends. This is why I get so angry. I am upset about this because all of these images of African-Americans committing crimes distorts the whole view. Because such images get so much attention, it takes away from the rest of the African-American population. It can take away from me. In fact, it has. There were times when all I had to do was look like I was upset and someone called the police. No yelling, no threatening, just me being assertive or looking like I was upset. I think race may have had something to do with it.

And you say this costs the tax payer. Well, what about the Black tax payers. Aren't their tax dollars just as good as the taxes Whites pay?

Old 06-09-2011, 11:50 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

And you say this costs the tax payer. Well, what about the Black tax payers. Aren't their tax dollars just as good as the taxes Whites pay?
Firstly, it is great you are doing great. The opportunities are there for all if they put in the effort.

Secondly, about the sentence above. When did I ever talk about tax payers being white? This is what makes discussing things difficult between races sometimes. As you can see, you assume I was talking about white tax payers. That never entered my head, because I was talking about law abiding citizens that have a job. Do you think people are dumb enough to feel only whites work? I guess there may be a few out there that live that sheltered, but I am not one of them. It is interesting that you feel I was talking about white tax payers though. Kind of odd when I read it, but I guess somethings really run deep when it comes to racial views.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Firstly, it is great you are doing great. The opportunities are there for all if they put in the effort.

Secondly, about the sentence above. When did I ever talk about tax payers being white? This is what makes discussing things difficult between races sometimes. As you can see, you assume I was talking about white tax payers. That never entered my head, because I was talking about law abiding citizens that have a job. Do you think people are dumb enough to feel only whites work? I guess there may be a few out there that live that sheltered, but I am not one of them. It is interesting that you feel I was talking about white tax payers though. Kind of odd when I read it, but I guess somethings really run deep when it comes to racial views.
Maybe I'm just angry. When I get angry, I sometimes don't think about what I write. Thing is, the older I get, the more cynical and thinking that maybe things really aren't that great anymore.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:09 PM
gg

Quote:
Maybe I'm just angry. When I get angry, I sometimes don't think about what I write. Thing is, the older I get, the more cynical and thinking that maybe things really aren't that great anymore.
NO, not yet. I do know what you mean. I don't blame you for what you wrote to be quite honest. I feel the media as a whole is terrible. It is so sensationalized and all negative all the time. I don't watch local news much at all. I read it on line, so I can filter some of the crap the dumb media throws at us everyday. There are plenty of people that get tired of it, but some people love to watch other's misery and I think that is why they hype up the crime and show it over and over again to make it seems like it happens every 10 minutes.

I don't blame you for being angry. I am angry at the media. Last chance I had to talk to a media person, I told them I thought what they do is a joke and very bad for people to watch. I told them, they are changing the world for the worse showing all the negative stories. Soon people will be afraid to leave their homes the way the present things.... Oh don't get me started.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
NO, not yet. I do know what you mean. I don't blame you for what you wrote to be quite honest. I feel the media as a whole is terrible. It is so sensationalized and all negative all the time. I don't watch local news much at all. I read it on line, so I can filter some of the crap the dumb media throws at us everyday. There are plenty of people that get tired of it, but some people love to watch other's misery and I think that is why they hype up the crime and show it over and over again to make it seems like it happens every 10 minutes.

I don't blame you for being angry. I am angry at the media. Last chance I had to talk to a media person, I told them I thought what they do is a joke and very bad for people to watch. I told them, they are changing the world for the worse showing all the negative stories. Soon people will be afraid to leave their homes the way the present things.... Oh don't get me started.
I don't watch the news for the most part anymore. It gets very depressing after a while.

I see the stuff on the news, but after a while I don't pay much attention to it anymore. For one reason, it doesn't give me a full view of everything. Most of the media has been negative. The idea is to get ratings.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:24 PM
gg

Quote:
I don't watch the news for the most part anymore. It gets very depressing after a while.

I see the stuff on the news, but after a while I don't pay much attention to it anymore. For one reason, it doesn't give me a full view of everything. Most of the media has been negative. The idea is to get ratings.
Yep, most all the media is negative. It is so rare to find any positive media. I do watch that Sunday Morning Show on CBS though. That is nice for a change.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:23 PM

110 posts, read 193,694 times
Well what about Hines Ward recently, and he even said that was like the first time for him experiencing racism and it wasn't, it was the black community flying off the handle, the incident happened because of a legitimate misunderstanding over his friends car and Hines Ward even took pictures with the officers what I understand and he is laughing about it, is that not positive or the fact Jerome Bettis who is from Michigan, stayed in Pittsburgh and opened up his own restaurant by PNC and Heinz Field, is that not positive, or how about all the (Black, African American, Black American, etc,,) business people, tv reporters, newspaper reporters, scientists, doctors, iron workers, nurses, engineers that is all in and around the Pittsburgh area how about the Black lawyers and Civic leaders are they not good enough to be inspired, or the black police officers are they not good news and inspirations for the black community, or how bout the interracial couples you see in Pittsburgh, hell Pittsburgh is one of the least racist cities you can ever find.
Your life is what you want to make of it, if you think you can just sit around and do nothing and think you will get successful, guess what, it won't happen, even rappers and pro sports players have to give up 90% of their life for years to dedicate it to becoming a success, even movie stars had to give up a lot of personal time and money and time with friends and family to get to where they are at and you have to put the work in to reap the rewards, all rock bands worked in some low to no pay to get where they are, it is not like most of these professional, successful people woke up one day and go well I am a successful record producer today, they had to work hard at low paying jobs, at school, at college and there is a reason why Ramen noodles, Spam, and Macaroni and cheese and bottled water is the main diet of college students, they put in the time, work hard, get the grades and respect and recommendations of supervisors and co-workers, get an internship where they are literally the chopped liver for taking all the abuse at the different companies and firms and overworked and may not even get paid because the "pay off" is worth it, there is a good saying and it is such a golden rule "you only get out of life what you put in" and if you go around making a choice to commit a crime, than deal with the consequences, do not take care of yourself and do drugs you really think you will get far, just look at the people who is most famous for doing drugs and being alcoholics, the majority of them are dead or they lost everything or their personal lives is in constant turmoil, never happy or satisfied.
If the African/black community wants a better public image on the news than be a better person, only the individual can change the individual, if they can not see that and not willing to do it than they deserve no pity from me or compassion from the news media.
If you want to be better, you have to want to be better and work hard at being better. "Respect is not given, it is earned by your actions and the way you treat your your neighbor and your community"

Last edited by PA_Native71; 06-09-2011 at 01:35 PM..

Old 06-09-2011, 01:39 PM

110 posts, read 193,694 times
Quote:
Yep, most all the media is negative. It is so rare to find any positive media. I do watch that Sunday Morning Show on CBS though. That is nice for a change.
watch the 700 Club they show good news and some of the individuals are not even church goers at times but they are good decent people who are just trying to do good in the world.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:53 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Native71 View Post
...or the black police officers are they not good news and inspirations for the black community...
Chief of Police Nathan Harper is African American. Man he has a look on him that just says, don't break the law. Seems like a nice guy though. I remember him in Zone 5 for a few years a while back. Glad he made Chief and indeed he is a very positive force for all really. Not just AA's.

Last edited by gg; 06-09-2011 at 02:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh