Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2011, 08:25 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
When a minority of the population is committing the majority of the crime, the media is going to report it, end of story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
Exactly exactly exactly... that proves the entire point. Your statement is not even remotely close to accurate. The fact that you believe it to be true proves the point everyone is making.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
The media loves reporting violent crime, and guess what:

Bureau of Justice Statistics Homicide trends in the U.S.: Trends by race

Bureau of Justice Statistics Homicide Trends in the United States: Trends in offending by race table

Pennsylvania tops Black homicide list

They have plenty of material to cover. So much for my statement not even being remotely close to true.
From your first link:

All homicides: White 45.8% Black 52.5%

How can you believe 45.8% of murders by whites shouldn't be reported simply because there are 6.7% more murders by blacks?

If you look at the murder rates for victim/intimate relationships, whites are far ahead in the killing of loved ones!

Intimate: White 54.4% Black 43.4%
Family: White 59.2% Black 38.5%
Infanticide White 55.4% Black 42.1%
Eldercide White 54.5% Black 43.8%

White people are even more dangerous in the workplace committing 70.5% of workplace murders.

Whites even commit a higher percentage of rape and gang related murders!

Let me repeat that: whites are committing more gang related murders!

And while Black are 14.5% more likely to kill with a weapon, whites are 61.4% more likely to kill with poison!

YEAH! Look at the statistics! Whites look extremely disturbed statistically!

As a matter of fact, the only category where black are significantly higher is drug related murders.

Whites are safer walking through the ghetto than they are living with their own families and going to their jobs!

You don't hear this stuff in the news. Thanks for sharing these links! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 08:42 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times
I'm sorry but Fayette County is crazy... Allegheny County Being Black is far more dangerous... There were 11 homicides in Homewood last year only one was white!!! Let me show you that whites don't have to worry about being shot point blank if there not bikers/white supremistis.
Watch this Video: Tour Inside Gang Neighborhoods Of Pittsburgh, PA (Including East Hill Bloods, Hilltop 581 Crips & Dallas Ave Crips With Even 11-Year-Olds Joining In) [31 Min Documentary]

YouTube - R.I.P Fallen Soldiers on Bloccs Projects & Ent DVD

YouTube - Bloccs Projects & Ent Vol.3 Trailer

YouTube - Bloccs Projects & Entertainment DVD Documentary Vol.1 Trailer

Old 04-23-2011, 09:17 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
From your first link:

All homicides: White 45.8% Black 52.5%

How can you believe 45.8% of murders by whites shouldn't be reported simply because there are 6.7% more murders by blacks?

If you look at the murder rates for victim/intimate relationships, whites are far ahead in the killing of loved ones!

Intimate: White 54.4% Black 43.4%
Family: White 59.2% Black 38.5%
Infanticide White 55.4% Black 42.1%
Eldercide White 54.5% Black 43.8%

White people are even more dangerous in the workplace committing 70.5% of workplace murders.

Whites even commit a higher percentage of rape and gang related murders!

Let me repeat that: whites are committing more gang related murders!

And while Black are 14.5% more likely to kill with a weapon, whites are 61.4% more likely to kill with poison!

YEAH! Look at the statistics! Whites look extremely disturbed statistically!

As a matter of fact, the only category where black are significantly higher is drug related murders.

Whites are safer walking through the ghetto than they are living with their own families and going to their jobs!

You don't hear this stuff in the news. Thanks for sharing these links! LOL
Knew this response was coming, completely typical. Completely ignore the fact that these violent crime rates are coming from 12.4% of the population (while ignoring the fact that whites make up 66%):

Race and ethnicity in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good job in ignoring this as well:

Also good job in ignoring that 3rd link too. I've seen this a hundred times when people point out stats: "LOL WHITE PEOPLE HAVE HIGHER CRIME STATS BECAUSE THEY MAKE UP THE MAJORITY OF POPULATION OF THE COUNTRY BUT I WON'T POINT THAT OUT LOL". So, going back to my original point: the small minority of the population is committing the most violent crimes and thus will be covered by the media more. Deal with it.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:35 AM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,112 times
All that I know is that if there is a series of break ins in my neighborhood, and the description of the suspect(s) is withheld by the media because the description in the police report is of a "black male," for example, would be a deterent to finding the proper suspect. The media would be doing an injustice to members of said communities by not reporting the description of suspects, be they white, black, tall, skinny, short, fat, yellow, or chartreuse. Let's use some common sense here.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:51 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
All that I know is that if there is a series of break ins in my neighborhood, and the description of the suspect(s) is withheld by the media because the description in the police report is of a "black male," for example, would be a deterent to finding the proper suspect. The media would be doing an injustice to members of said communities by not reporting the description of suspects, be they white, black, tall, skinny, short, fat, yellow, or chartreuse. Let's use some common sense here.
I don't think anyone is trying to prevent the media from providing accurate information about crimes.

It's my understanding that they want a better representation of the good done by minority groups as balance.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:11 AM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't think anyone is trying to prevent the media from providing accurate information about crimes.

they want a better representation of the good done by minority groups as balance.
Well, isn't Rashard Mendenhall scoring a touchdown or Andrew McCutcheon hitting a home run or Dwight Howard making a spectacular dunk good enough balance? Just kidding. I was playing on the stereotype that athletics are the only outlet for many blacks youths. This is obviously not the case and black athletes need not be the only role models for black children. Of course, if it athletics keep kids out of trouble, it is good. Books, computers, teachers, and parents are the real keys.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:32 PM

132 posts, read 249,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
I think the above highlighted point hasn't been mentioned enough in this thread and could possibly lead to some common ground between people with varying viewpoints. Perhaps if the African-American community sees a more balanced representation of itself in the media it could generate more positive momentum to address the issues that exist within the community.
More balanced representation?? Are you kidding? Watch Law & Order, Miami CSI, Harry's Law, and who are the bad guys? The white guys. Who are all the positive images represented by? The black folks. White boys are the bad guys, preferably blonde, in almost all the crime drama, and all the best cops and lawyers are women and minorities. Skeet Ulrich was fired from Law & Order because too many white guys; replaced by Al Molina espousing Mexican heritage.

Remember, the good ole days? Kojak, Beretta, Starsky & Hutch, Banachek, Police Woman, the Rookies etc. The shows displayed real crime drama as it happens in real life. Now, we have PC crime drama, unrealistic, but more acceptable to certain members of society.

There is something called "Guilty by Association", and that's what some blacks suffer from. They don't care about the victims, unless the victim is black, and the perpetrator is white.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:02 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro-Dialin View Post
More balanced representation?? Are you kidding? Watch Law & Order, Miami CSI, Harry's Law, and who are the bad guys? The white guys. Who are all the positive images represented by? The black folks. White boys are the bad guys, preferably blonde, in almost all the crime drama, and all the best cops and lawyers are women and minorities. Skeet Ulrich was fired from Law & Order because too many white guys; replaced by Al Molina espousing Mexican heritage. .
Don't forget all the Broadview Security commercials where the home invader is always a white male. Or how every video game villain is either German or Russian. Resident Evil 5 had to be changed because the villains were black due to the fact that the game took place in Africa. How about all the "smart black dumb white" commercials?

This overly PC stuff is only separating the gap between races/cultures/ethnicity. The fact that seemingly intelligent people want to voluntarily head in that direction is even more is baffling to me, especially on a local level. It's time for people to stop burying their head in the sand.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:36 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
This thread is a good example of how once you introduce a false meme (in this case the OP's misstatement of the contents of the article) that speaks to some people's preconceived narratives, it is virtually impossible to stamp it out.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:47 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
A terms of service reminder: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Quote:
Hate speech, racism or bashing of ANY sort will NOT be tolerated. Rude posts will be removed and infractions issued.Do not quote or talk to trolls or your posts will also be deleted. Use the report feature instead.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh