Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 11:11 PM

57 posts, read 110,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy205 View Post
I too am a civil engineer. A few years back PennDOT tried to go to the metric system but contractors had to convert everything back to English (US customary units) to buy materials and determine unit prices and it became too cumbersome so we switched back to US customary. The professional licensure exam for engineers uses both systems and I learned both in HS, college and grad school.
I second that. I just took the FE (Fundamentals of Engineering) exam a few weeks ago and it has both. At this point, just know both and how to convert and you'll be fine for whatever your need is.

Never knew about the PennDOT thing though, neat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 04:34 AM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,157 times
Computer Science seems to be all metric - kilobytes, megabytes, gigabytes. If kids can convert from KB to MB to GB they've learned the metric system.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:25 AM

296 posts, read 560,870 times
Teaching Celsius is a waste of time. It sounds much better on a hot day to see the thermometer say 101 than 38.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:45 AM

875 posts, read 1,489,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimacista View Post
Teaching Celsius is a waste of time. It sounds much better on a hot day to see the thermometer say 101 than 38.
I actually agree with this when one is talking about the weather. The Farenheit scale has more precise units of measure. Specifically, 1 degree Celsius is 1.8 degrees Farenheit, so almost two Farenheit degrees for each Celsius. Most temperate climates have a temperature variance of about 30-40 degrees Celsius, so why not use Farenheit to be more precise?

However, when we are talking about thermodynamics and such, Celsius is MUCH more important and useful.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:54 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,786,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy205 View Post
I too am a civil engineer. A few years back PennDOT tried to go to the metric system but contractors had to convert everything back to English (US customary units) to buy materials and determine unit prices and it became too cumbersome so we switched back to US customary. The professional licensure exam for engineers uses both systems and I learned both in HS, college and grad school.
I believe that was a Clinton era initiative from FHWA that disappeared quickly also in NY state.

Working as an inspector back then I was used to a certain superintendent referring to an even station (i.e. 38+00, for those who don't know this notation, it reflects 3,800' from a starting point) as "38 balls". Then when metric stationing came out, it was, say, 10+000. He said "What do I call that?"

Old 04-28-2011, 12:43 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Computer Science seems to be all metric - kilobytes, megabytes, gigabytes. If kids can convert from KB to MB to GB they've learned the metric system.
my hard drive can hold a bushel of bytes and my laptop has a cord of memory.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:50 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Technically no. The metric system is base 10 while computer science is base 2. For instance, a kilobyte is 1024 bytes not 1000.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:12 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
It is so sad that we all didn't just go metric. Working around cars as a hobby, it would be great if everything was in metric. I knew we would never make the switch to a system that is based on 10's, because people can't change habits. Look at fuel prices and the writing is on the wall clearly showing everyone that fuel is going to get more and more expensive and if anything happens in Saudi, we will have fuel prices over $6 overnight, but everyone is still driving empty pickups as a status symbol and huge SUV's because women want to feel powerful. People won't change unless it is forced in someway. It would have to be one heck of a force.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:26 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
It is so sad that we all didn't just go metric. Working around cars as a hobby, it would be great if everything was in metric. I knew we would never make the switch to a system that is based on 10's, because people can't change habits. Look at fuel prices and the writing is on the wall clearly showing everyone that fuel is going to get more and more expensive and if anything happens in Saudi, we will have fuel prices over $6 overnight, but everyone is still driving empty pickups as a status symbol and huge SUV's because women want to feel powerful. People won't change unless it is forced in someway. It would have to be one heck of a force.
Um....so....changing to the metric system will lower gas prices? Buying by the liter might look cheaper but it's not.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:05 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Um....so....changing to the metric system will lower gas prices? Buying by the liter might look cheaper but it's not.
ha ha. No just a parallel showing that most people are very reluctant to change and most are rut seekers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh