Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 07:56 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times

Advertisements

I love The Waterfront and SSW, but those aren't malls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 08:06 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,574,076 times
I don't think there is any debate that Ross Park Mall is the nicest, that has been true for a long time but it added some upscale stores in the past 3 years which really put it in a class of its own for the region.

Southside Works and The Waterfront are "lifestyle centers" which could probably be simplified as a small outside mall with nearby (relatively upscale) apartments.

Robinson is okay, as is South Hills Village. Some have described Monroeville as "ghetto," its seen better days for sure but isn't that bad.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:21 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
I liked the Southside one, but I haven't been to too many of the others.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:29 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,803 times
Is there an echo in here? Ross Park is my favorite, hands down. I would love to see Ross Park expand further to accommodate even more high-end retailers.

It's also refreshing to go to Ross Park and not be overwhelmed by people who have never worn anything but sweatpants and a hoodie. The quality of people that frequent Ross Park is even better to look at!

Old 04-27-2011, 08:37 AM

My vote goes to South Hills Village

Old 04-27-2011, 08:39 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,225 times
Robinson is nice. While not as nice as Ross Park, I like the fact that its usually easier to find parking where you don't have to walk a half mile to the mall.

I think the "malls are dead" theme we've been hearing is untrue. Malls that can adapt or serve a higher end clientele seem to be doing well. Malls that are stuck in the past (Century III) or just generally ill-conceived (The Mills) tend to fail. I'm more concerned about some of the "lifestyle" centers in the area, namely The Waterfront. It was the "it" destination for shopping/hanging out 5-10 years ago but has clearly gone downhill since then. It seems as if new "lifestyle" shopping areas pop up and take some of the luster off the old ones. The Waterfront gave way to SSW which seems to have lost some steam as well (given empty storefronts). Settlers Ridge is the new hot location and we will see how long that lasts.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:23 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,712,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
My vote goes to South Hills Village
I can't comprehend how you could rate SHV over Ross Park Mall. I live 3 miles from SHV, and, trust me, it has seen better days. One anchor store is missing since Boscov's closed 3-4 years ago. It is supposed to be replaced by Target and Dick's Sporting Goods, but no work on that as of yet. Even if it happens, to me, it's nothing to get too excited about.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
I can't comprehend how you could rate SHV over Ross Park Mall. I live 3 miles from SHV, and, trust me, it has seen better days. One anchor store is missing since Boscov's closed 3-4 years ago. It is supposed to be replaced by Target and Dick's Sporting Goods, but no work on that as of yet. Even if it happens, to me, it's nothing to get too excited about.
I haven't been to Ross Park since they remodeled. I am basing my decision onn what I remember that mall was and to me was nothing to brag about. I can't get to excited about overpriced stores that the average Joe can't shop in either (namely Tiffany's and Nordstroms.) Honestly I have no real desire to go up there if I can't afford it.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:56 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,712,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I haven't been to Ross Park since they remodeled. I am basing my decision onn what I remember that mall was and to me was nothing to brag about. I can't get to excited about overpriced stores that the average Joe can't shop in either (namely Tiffany's and Nordstroms.) Honestly I have no real desire to go up there if I can't afford it.
I understand what you are saying, but even the " average Joe" has better options at Ross Park Mall, with a large Penny's , Sears, and Macy's.
Better restaurant options as well.
Hey, I wish SHV was better; I can drive there in about 7 min., but the half hour drive to Ross Park Mall is a much better choice.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:20 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,065 times
Ross Park mall isn't totally all high-end. They still have mainstream department and specialty stores. Average Joes can still shop at H&M, Old Navy, Spencer's, and many other stores. The high-end stores are near the Nordstrom wing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh