Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 05:38 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,417,563 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,
I've noticed something a little weird since I moved to my new place in Cecil Township. I live just south of the Allegheny County Line off of Washington Rd. If i head south on Washington, the road name changes to Morganza. On Morganza, just south of Baker Rd., there are boarded up homes on either side of the road. Probably 5-6 of them within a quarter mile strip. Also, along Baker Rd., west of Morganza just before you cross I-79 there are more boarded up homes.

When I say boarded, I'm meaning all the windows are covered with plywood. I've been wondering about these homes for a few months, and last night i decided to take a closer look. On each home there's a "No Trespassing" Sticker that mentions the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission, which doesn't really tell me anything.

Can anyone explain what's going on around there? I at first thought foreclosures, but there's just too many in a concentrated area. I can't figure it out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 05:45 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,497,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
Hey guys,
I've noticed something a little weird since I moved to my new place in Cecil Township. I live just south of the Allegheny County Line off of Washington Rd. If i head south on Washington, the road name changes to Morganza. On Morganza, just south of Baker Rd., there are boarded up homes on either side of the road. Probably 5-6 of them within a quarter mile strip. Also, along Baker Rd., west of Morganza just before you cross I-79 there are more boarded up homes.

When I say boarded, I'm meaning all the windows are covered with plywood. I've been wondering about these homes for a few months, and last night i decided to take a closer look. On each home there's a "No Trespassing" Sticker that mentions the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission, which doesn't really tell me anything.

Can anyone explain what's going on around there? I at first thought foreclosures, but there's just too many in a concentrated area. I can't figure it out...
I have no idea. Just a guess -- if it says PA Turnpike Commission, they're probably planning on demolishing the homes for a road. You said Cecil, right? I know they were planning on connecting the Airport Toll Road 576 to I-79 in Cecil so that would be my guess. Maybe check the Turnpike Commission's website.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:52 AM

674 posts, read 1,413,408 times
They bought those homes awhile ago because eventually they'll be part of the connector between I-79 and the Mon Fayette Expressway

PA Turnpike Construction - Mon/Fayette & Southern Beltway Projects

Whenever I first drove by and noticed the boards, I thought there was a fire or something but the houses are too far apart for a fire to have spread. Then I heard about this.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:52 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,759,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
Hey guys,

If they're properties near the Allegheny/Washington County line and I-79, then they've been acquired to be demolished to make way for the South Beltway (PA 576) between Pittsburgh International Airport and the Mon-Fayette Expressway.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:19 AM

thanks, i've looked for a good mapping of what the plans are, but i'm not having any luck. from what it sounds like this plan has been working for over 10-15 years, i'm wondering if there's any updates recently...

Old 10-15-2010, 11:16 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,188,061 times
At last check I thought there were serious doubts as to whether any further progress would be made in the near future due to funding shortfalls. This may, however, only apply to the connector from Jefferson Hills to Oakland and not the rest of the southern beltway.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:33 PM

just thought i'de update this thread...since October 2010, I've noticed at least 4 homes, that were previously boarded up, now demolished to the ground.

It also looks like there are a few more homes boarded up as well...

Old 05-06-2011, 07:02 AM

354 posts, read 475,909 times
I really wish they'd give up on the "elbow" part of the MFX plan that is supposed to be a Squirrel Hill bypass and just connect the road up 885 into Oakland. It would be a lot cheaper, probably less destructive and give Pgh a "Parkway South".

Old 05-06-2011, 07:50 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,555,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
I really wish they'd give up on the "elbow" part of the MFX plan that is supposed to be a Squirrel Hill bypass and just connect the road up 885 into Oakland. It would be a lot cheaper, probably less destructive and give Pgh a "Parkway South".
I just wonder what year any of this will be any where near completed...or just plain abandoned for that matter. The amount of cancelled expressways over the years is unreal! We would have had quite the highway infrastructure provided even half of these were completed.

Pittsburgh Highways:* Pittsburgh's Cancelled Expressways

Old 05-06-2011, 08:57 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,188,061 times
Reading the list of canceled highways really makes me scratch my head as to why they decided to start on the Mon-Fayette so early. Why not build the Squirrel Hill Tunnel bypass first, the Southern Beltway second, and then the MFE? By the time the other two pieces get built (if ever), the MFE will probably be in need of a total overhaul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh