Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 11:11 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newpgher View Post
Based on what I've read elsewhere and on Landorslum.com: The landlord rating website , not many of the landlords in the city come well recommended.
Trust me, there are good landlords out there, I'm one of them. So many that rent expect 5 Star treatment and still trash the place. If each side treats each other fairly, there is no problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 12:38 PM

53 posts, read 82,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Trust me, there are good landlords out there, I'm one of them. So many that rent expect 5 Star treatment and still trash the place. If each side treats each other fairly, there is no problem.
*Fingers crossed* I find a good one. Read more than one review where a 100y/o+ building had repairs that landlords never got to...

Old 04-30-2011, 01:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
You won't likely see reviews of good landlords. People are more likely to share bad news.

If you're going to rent, you're sort of over thinking this.

During my renting years, I probably had 10+ different landlords throughout the metro area and none of them were bad.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:19 PM

Another question: are the 'different' parts of Lawrenceville treated the same? Are Upper/Central/Lower considered equally safe?

Old 04-30-2011, 02:23 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Ok, well I've been looking at rentals for over a month, and Shadyside and Squirrel Hill seem like more than I'd like to pay. I had been focusing my looking there because those neighborhoods were recommended to me. Sounds like I should venture out. Bloomfield/Lawrenceville/Greenfield? Any other recommendations? I do have a car, but I'd like to have to drive as little as possible.

Based on what I've read elsewhere and on Landorslum.com: The landlord rating website , not many of the landlords in the city come well recommended.
Take the landorslum.com reviews with a grain of salt, most people that are happy with their landlords don't go out of their way to put a review online.

Bloomfield, Lawrenceville, and Greenfield are all good options. I would also suggest East Allegheny (Deutschtown) and the Central Northside (Mexican War Streets). Both of those neighborhoods can reach Oakland on the 54 bus route, which is the same bus route you'd probably be using in Bloomfield. You should also look in Friendship, between East Liberty and Bloomfield.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:39 PM

I heard the Mexican War area was more 'dangerous.' Not true?

Old 04-30-2011, 03:53 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,755 times
Quote:
I heard the Mexican War area was more 'dangerous.' Not true?
Depends on the street. South of Sampsonia should be fine.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:46 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Seemingly every rental review site is stacked with pissed-off people with gripes. They're the ones most likely to run to a keyboard and sound off. It's routine and mundane when renting an apartment goes as normal. People are more apt to relate atypical experiences than routine experiences. Kind of like you'll never hear a news cast filled with stuff like "millions of people went about their business without getting shot or stabbed today, and 99.999% of the area's buildings did not catch on fire." Instead you'll hear about the one or two people who got stabbed or shot and the one or two buildings that caught on fire.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:52 PM

I intend to use that list more as a "who NOT to rent from" if I end up renting. Especially the ones with the crying emoticon and dozens of bad reviews.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:54 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Look, the East End is a de facto college town. There's going to be some crappy housing out there, geared mostly toward students who just want a roof over their head. You should be able to tell the second you walk in whether that's the type of housing you're looking at or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh