Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 10:26 PM

83 posts, read 248,636 times

Advertisements

Boylocke - Good luck in Seattle! Watching the sea planes land is really cool. Vancouver, etc.. I highly recommend committing yourself to drive down Western coast. Ya! Do it now while you're young and traveling is easy. I been gone from Pittsburgh since 1984. It will still be there for you if/when you're ready to return. Gaining some life experience outside The Burgh is essential IMHO. Plus visiting is always a gas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 10:53 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,070,295 times
Quote:
Boylocke - Good luck in Seattle! Watching the sea planes land is really cool. Vancouver, etc.. I highly recommend committing yourself to drive down Western coast. Ya! Do it now while you're young and traveling is easy. I been gone from Pittsburgh since 1984. It will still be there for you if/when you're ready to return. Gaining some life experience outside The Burgh is essential IMHO. Plus visiting is always a gas!
Thank you!! I am not leaving until next year at this time, but I do have a job waiting for me, and so does my partner. We are very excited. My mum is utterly crushed at the idea but my dad thinks of it as a great adventure and can't wait to travel to see new things (that I will have the pleasure of showing him for once)

I still believe that Pittsburgh is heading in a VERY positive direction and will be a great city of the future. I would LOVE to put money down on one of those RiverParc homes, how fun would that be??? I'm sure I'll be back and will always be an active contributor (nuisance) to this forum. :P

Old 08-01-2007, 10:59 PM

I think what drew me so much to the pacific northwest is the unusual and lush climate. There are only 3 large cities in all of North America that have an oceanic climate (or marine west climate) and those are Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver, CA. I realize they get a lot of rain, but I think the climate makes the surrounding the most beautiful and clean possible. They have nice cool summers and relatively warm winters. I really just love the freshness of the air and cleansing drizzles. Is that stupid? lol.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:19 AM

77 posts, read 286,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
I think what drew me so much to the pacific northwest is the unusual and lush climate. There are only 3 large cities in all of North America that have an oceanic climate (or marine west climate) and those are Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver, CA. I realize they get a lot of rain, but I think the climate makes the surrounding the most beautiful and clean possible. They have nice cool summers and relatively warm winters. I really just love the freshness of the air and cleansing drizzles. Is that stupid? lol.
Seattle, eh? Another great city! You will like the West Coast. I lived in Northern California for 6 years and liked it quite a bit. I've never been to Seattle, but my partner has, and he had nothing but glowing reviews about the place.

The climate on the West Coast is really different than here in Pittsburgh -- I know you will enjoy it. We looked at Seattle when my partner was looking for grad schools, but unfortunately the market for librarians in Seattle was not that good at the time. So we ended up in DC. It's fun to think how our lives would have been different if we did move to Seattle.

We're due out there for a library conference in 2009. Maybe we'll see you there!

Old 08-02-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
We're due out there for a library conference in 2009. Maybe we'll see you there!
Please look me up! I will be out there and settled by then! And I also had nothing but great things to say about Seattle. And yet, go to the Seattle forum, and like here, there are tons of haters. LOL.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:25 AM

267 posts, read 815,152 times
We're leaving PGH too, but because of a lack of teacher jobs. IMHO, the friendliest people in the world live here in Pittsburgh. I'm sure I'll find friendly people in SC too, but it seems like you got to give to get.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:17 AM

31 posts, read 139,154 times
I would be interested in your opinion, you being the Pittsburg forum, regarding comparing Philly and Pittsburg. I have lived in the Philly area all my life and worked in downtown Philly for 14 years. I have heard Pittsburg is far more friendly but only was there once visiting a friend in the 60s and found it friendly. I consider Philly the worse big city, and I recently visited Chicago and NYC and loved both, including liking the people far more than Phillly. What do you think about Philly in general and in comparing it to Pittsburg?

Old 08-03-2007, 06:45 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,604 times
Default Another SW PA & Pittsburgh Cheerleader

Same here with my hubby and myself. We're looking into moving to Tennessee, primarily because my dh works in construction, and he'll have a longer working season there with the milder winters. We're going down in November to check out the job situation before making the plunge.

One primary consideration with Tennessee is that flights out of Nashville are cheap to Pittsburgh, and it's only a 9 1/2 hour drive to get back home to family and friends in Pittsburgh - and for them to visit us in Tennessee.
Also, another perk with TN is the general down-home friendliness of the people there - just like here in SW PA.

No matter where we end up, or if we decide to stay here - our hearts and home will always be SW PA.

blessings, Shen

Old 08-03-2007, 07:45 AM

29 posts, read 78,834 times
I wouldnt recommend Coldwell Banker. I see alot of their properties are not in the best of shape. I understand it isn't their responsibility to do any more than get them rented but how can you attract people to poorly maintained properties?

Old 08-03-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
What do you think about Philly in general and in comparing it to Pittsburg?
Philly has a really terrible rep in many parts of the country. I believe you are correct when you say Philly is the worst big city. Or at least, people do view it that way. It should be in the same category as Chicago or Boston but it isn't. I've enjoyed myself there but have kind of felt it was a bit dirty with too many trashy and disrespectful people. However, I was only a teen when making those opinions. I have also heard the city has made somewhat of a large turn around in recent times and when I see recent pictures I do find Philly to be quite beautiful.

It would be hard to compare Pittsburgh to Philadelphia as they are in different city tiers, but I do know I'd much rather live in Western PA than Eastern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh