Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 02:49 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times

Advertisements

AWD definitely is not a necessity, particularly if you are not personally living on a steep grade and will mostly just be driving around the well-traveled parts of the core area. Again, I've always driven normal FWD economy cars in Pittsburgh, and it has worked out fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 01:19 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I drove a Mazda3 this past winter and had no issues whatsoever. It's ultimately your call, of course, if you'd personally feel more comfortable with a small SUV, though.

As far as the Heinz Lofts are concerned in terms of isolation don't forget you are also along the river trail, which will lead you to the North Side/Downtown in about 20 minutes on foot (less than half that on a bike). You can also walk/bike across the 16th Street Bridge into the Strip District.

I'd recommend the Strip District to you personally. Yes, it may have a "gritty" feel to it, but you'd be walking/biking distance to work and Downtown along with being a quick bus ride or drive to Shadyside or Squirrel Hill (Point Breeze also has a tiny Downtown area that is starting to pick up steam with a few great places like Pino's and Point Brugge). The Strip is perfectly safe. I've walked through here frequently at night, as I live in adjacent Polish Hill, and I've never had any concerns.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:30 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
I've never been in the building, but have you looked into the School House. It's practically on top of AGH, and you could easily walk to the Federal Street and E. Ohio street Business districts, in the Mexican War Streets and Deutschtown, respectively.
This is exactly what I was going to recommend. That would be so convenient for you. Easy parking, business district and your job within a few blocks, also a couple beautiful parks nearby..

Old 05-03-2011, 10:53 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,572,287 times
Id live in shadyside and drive to work myself.

4wd isn't absolutely neccessary but the days you need it, you will be really glad to have it. Granted you can count those days on one hand most winters, but they are there. When you work in healthcare (depending on the job) there are days you have to be there regardless of the weather. I've done pittsburgh with and without 4wd, I will tell you I will always own at least one 4wd vehicle.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:16 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,033 times
Aside from owning a Jeep for hauling purposes, I've never had nor needed anything bigger than a Honda Civic (Well, my Saab is a touch longer, I guess...) for getting around the city even in the worst of times.

Also I would recommend a Honda Civic if you're looking for a fuel efficient and economic new vehicle. If mine hadn't been totaled thanks to a guy not paying attention and his big-ass SUV rear-ending me full speed (After it already having had similar happen to it a few years ago and sub-par, by my standards, repairs) I'd still be driving mine.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:09 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
You can walk to AGH or any downtown gym from the Strip District too.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:28 AM

781 posts, read 1,618,733 times
4WD can be handy in Pittsburgh if you are required to drive a lot for your job or depending on your neighborhood. After a few years we sold our 4 wheel drive SUV and bought a normal car. We don't live in a super steep area for driving.

We looked at a lot of places that looked like they required a mountain goat.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,101 times
I have some good friends who live in the Schoolhouse, mentioned above, and they have an incredible apartment, 2 bedrooms with one lofted, and full-length of the walls windows with a view of downtown... and it was pretty affordable, AND you could not hear the neighbors through the walls.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:10 AM

42 posts, read 80,848 times
I have a Hyundai Elantra and LOVE it. It's great on gas and good in the winter. I live in Wilkes-Barre and drive to Scranton for work. One of the ways I take is hilly and remote. I've never had a problem with my car. One thing I did notice is that it's lighter than my last car (Galant) so I put 2 50lb sand bags in my trunk and that has helped the back end not to fishtail. I believe Pittsburgh's weather is similar to ours. I would highly suggest an Elantra or a Hyundai Sonata, they are gorgeous. As long as you're smart driving in the snow you won't have a problem. Good luck!!!!

Old 05-04-2011, 08:53 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,033 times
Ugh, skip the Hyundai, go for Honda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh