Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2011, 10:15 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Now the genesis of this thread has become obvious. She shouldn't have moved that chair...

Yes. The penalty for chair-moving is death by a hail of Primanti Brothers sandwiches being lobbed at your head!

Old 05-03-2011, 10:17 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,036,282 times
Quote:

YA SHOULDA PUT OUT A CHAIR! You had to shovel five extra spots because you were too hoity-toidy to conform to the local convention. I hope your feeling of superiority compensated for your aching back.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:19 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,036,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

If someone comes along and parks in the space I shoveled out for my landlady will I call them a jagoff? Nope. I'll just shovel another space. Problem solved. It isn't THAT hard to shovel out a parking space. Sheesh!
Next time we get hit with 12 or more inches of heavy snow (not the light fluffy stuff), I'mma be sure to give you a call.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:35 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,840,863 times
If a chair is left out on the street it is abandoned property and up for grabs. I've tossed many a chair to park. You don't have any ownership rights on a public street other than first come first serve parking rights.

Though I will find exception to this general rule on days where heavy snow has occurred as common decency, much as on other days it is common decency not to save a spot you have no rights to.

Last edited by UKyank; 05-03-2011 at 11:25 AM..

Old 05-03-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
Next time we get hit with 12 or more inches of heavy snow (not the light fluffy stuff), I'mma be sure to give you a call.
Do it! I ♥ shoveling! I shovel people out for free all the time, but come to think of it if I'm simultaneously saving for my first home it might be a good idea---$10 a pop for a cleared parking spot!

Old 05-03-2011, 11:02 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,661,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Aching back? Heart attacks? Perhaps if you're out of shape, take too much weight on each pass of the shovel, and don't bend at the knees as you're supposed to. I find snow shoveling to be FUN, and it gives me such a rush afterwards to be soaked in sweat in the dead of winter AND to know I did the "right" thing by helping others in my neighborhood.

If someone comes along and parks in the space I shoveled out for my landlady will I call them a jagoff? Nope. I'll just shovel another space. Problem solved. It isn't THAT hard to shovel out a parking space. Sheesh!
I know that when you are twenty-something and in good health, it is hard to understand that maybe someone has health problems through no fault of their own. Heart defects occur in seemingly otherwise healthy individuals. I spend a lot of time caring for my elderly, wheelchair bound mother. My father, before he passed away in 2003, had to use a walker to get around. My aunt before she died in 2006 was on oxygen. (She never smoked a day in her life. She was born with a heart defect and had pulmonary issues her entire life.) This has made me accutely aware of how difficult the most simple tasks can be for some people. Also while helping them out on a regular basis, I met a lot of other people who had health issues that you would not be aware of just looking at them. A lot would not rise to the level of requiring a handicapped designation. My father had three heart attacks before he was 55. If you had met him at that age, you would not have been able to tell. He wasn't overweight. Excess shoveling was not something he could do or should have done. Doesn't mean he needed a handicapped parking space.

I cannot assume that everyone who puts out a chair is just lazy. I know that probably a lot of people are. But, people break bones on occasion. Tear ligaments. One winter I had tedonitis from shoveling so much and just could do no more. I know that I cannot know, when I drive into a neighborhood where I do not live, why someone put out a chair. Especially in a city with a such a large elderly population. I guess I just don't assume. Maybe they really need to. I know that I can walk an extra block.

The lack of empathy in our society makes me very sad. I find those who are arguing that chair putter-outters (for want of a better term) are rude just as rude in their insistance that there is no reason that anyone should ever put one out. You can't really know in all cases. I prefer to err on the side of respecting the chair.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
I know that when you are twenty-something and in good health, it is hard to understand that maybe someone has health problems through no fault of their own. Heart defects occur in seemingly otherwise healthy individuals. I spend a lot of time caring for my elderly, wheelchair bound mother. My father, before he passed away in 2003, had to use a walker to get around. My aunt before she died in 2006 was on oxygen. (She never smoked a day in her life. She was born with a heart defect and had pulmonary issues her entire life.) This has made me accutely aware of how difficult the most simple tasks can be for some people. Also while helping them out on a regular basis, I met a lot of other people who had health issues that you would not be aware of just looking at them. A lot would not rise to the level of requiring a handicapped designation. My father had three heart attacks before he was 55. If you had met him at that age, you would not have been able to tell. He wasn't overweight. Excess shoveling was not something he could do or should have done. Doesn't mean he needed a handicapped parking space.

I cannot assume that everyone who puts out a chair is just lazy. I know that probably a lot of people are. But, people break bones on occasion. Tear ligaments. One winter I had tedonitis from shoveling so much and just could do no more. I know that I cannot know, when I drive into a neighborhood where I do not live, why someone put out a chair. Especially in a city with a such a large elderly population. I guess I just don't assume. Maybe they really need to. I know that I can walk an extra block.

The lack of empathy in our society makes me very sad. I find those who are arguing that chair putter-outters (for want of a better term) are rude just as rude in their insistance that there is no reason that anyone should ever put one out. You can't really know in all cases. I prefer to err on the side of respecting the chair.
In my case I just always presumed Pittsburgh was still the type of old-fashioned city (one of the few left in America, for that matter) where Mrs. Smith would tell her two little boys to march two doors down to old Ms. Clarendon's house and shovel out her sidewalks and her Buick for $10 because she wouldn't be able to do it herself now that her husband had passed. During my deliveries I notice that people tend to be somewhat "nebby", and some have (thankfully) come over to me to offer to take and refrigerate gifts for their neighbors until they arrive home.

Yesterday I made a residential delivery to Morningside. The front door was slightly ajar, and the television was visibly on in the next room, which would imply someone was home. I rang the doorbell and knocked numerous times to no avail when the next-door neighbor came out and took me to their backyard, where they were doing some landscaping. Pittsburgh is the rare breed of metropolis where neighbors DO tend to know and care about one another. Its suburbs, on the other hand, are apparently a different (and much sadder) story, as I've made several deliveries to Penn Hills, for example, where I've knocked on the doors of next-door neighbors who say they've never met one another.

I know I live in a neighborhood with a dearth of younger people and a plethora of elderly people, so I do my part on my own to shovel out other vehicles and parking spaces because I'm physically able to do so. Perhaps if younger people in other areas weren't so lazy then we wouldn't be having this conversation in the first place about transplants like me being irked by people who illegally use chairs to block public access to a public right-of-way?

Old 05-03-2011, 11:14 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,540,264 times
So I guess the answer to the original question is: no, except when it comes to street parking in front of their houses.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:29 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,158,116 times
Quote:
None of those address the crux of the issue, which is that, in a situation where every parking space must be cleared of snow, what makes it ok for me to clear a space, and then not have it available to me, while you, who have not cleared a space, do have one available to you? That's really the moral basis for the whole question.

YA SHOULDA PUT OUT A CHAIR! You had to shovel five extra spots because you were too hoity-toidy to conform to the local convention. I hope your feeling of superiority compensated for your aching back.
This is what you don't get. It isn't because of a 'feeling of superiority' that I don't put out a chair. It is because I actually respect my neighbors, their visitors and anyone else who might have to park when I am gone. Putting a chair out is pure selfishness and shows a complete and utter lack of respect for anyone but yourself.

Quote:
If I find you in a spot I shovelled out, and reserved with a chair, I'll shovel you back in. (With a clear conscience, nay, a smug feeling of justice served that'll compensate for my aching back. Sorry, I can't agree with LMP on the egg thing. The punishment should fit the crime.)

You said it.
I have had someone do that to me. I shoveled my car out and then completely filled the space in again.

Again - don't punish other people because you choose to have on-street parking and are too lazy to live with it.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:31 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,636,560 times
Quote:
(Understanding that I no longer have a dog in this fight, because I've long since moved to the land of personally owned off-street parking, which of course would see me vilified for other things (but I digress). Just as a matter of principle, leftover from my years in the land of the parking chair, and because arguing this topic is fun...)
It is fun, isn't it? I live in the land of personally owned off-street parking too! And the parking chair is still hillarious!

Quote:
Now the genesis of this thread has become obvious. She shouldn't have moved that chair...
LMAO! Exactly! She's lucky to be alive to complain about Pittsburghers to her Seattle friends!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh