Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 05:30 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Your bricks look very nice. Good job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 05:34 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
I strongly support a mix of challenges, ones which involve both positive and negative aspects of Pittsburgh's history. Because that is true of Pittsburgh history (it is a mix of positive and negative).

Old 05-07-2011, 05:54 AM

76 posts, read 157,167 times
Puzzle #3
Good morning. This puzzle is a return to the simple, "find this street" challenge that started this whole thing.

Clue #1. The camera is facing east.
Clue #2. The house with the Second Empire roof and a Queen Anne style porch is currently for sale. The images at Howard Hanna show pretty interesting woodwork inside.
Clue #3. I have another shot of this street facing the other direction. There is a recognizable building in that one so I'm waiting to see how hard this is before posting it.

OK. In order to win this challenge you have to be the first person to post a Google streetview of this street as it looks today. Once you ID the street, go to streetview and use the Windows 7 snipping tool to cut out and save the image. Upload it to the image hosting site of your choice, I use Flickr, and then post your answer with the image linked. Puzzle #4 is ready to go immediately after this one is solved and you'll need to do the same thing, so if you don't have an image site account, you might as well set one up...

Oh, and puzzle #4 is about a thousand times harder, but way more interesting....

Old 05-07-2011, 06:52 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Looks like Jane St. on the Southside to me, maybe from S. 21st st?

The street is straight but it bends toward the southeast at S. 24th and it looks like a bend about 3 blocks in the distance from the building in the distance.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:36 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
This one isn't fun. It doesn't require any intellectual abilities, just searching for a needle in a haystack.

I've ruled out Manchester, Northside, Strip District, Uptown, The Hill, Lawrenceville, Bloomfield, Sharpsburg, Millvale, etc.

Also checked many areas of the East End, which are just too nice, not row houses but have yards.

I checked parts of Southside but quit because I got bored.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:45 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,032 times
Quote:
This one isn't fun. It doesn't require any intellectual abilities, just searching for a needle in a haystack.
Gasp! It requires an attention span.

Kids have soccer and T-ball. I won't be able to play until much later.

(Also ain't got no stinkin image site account. Which you could probably tell since every time I post an image here I just get thumbnails...)

Old 05-07-2011, 07:58 AM

76 posts, read 157,167 times
Here is the street looking west.

I like the kid on the tricycle practicing dodging potholes, a skill that everybody needs to master around here.

Clue #4. Sauerkraut, potato pancakes, Straub....
Clue #5. In the alley behind this street is the narrowest rowhouse in Pittsburgh at 11" wide. It looks like a piece of toast sticking up...

Image hosting sites are free..

Old 05-07-2011, 08:15 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,032 times
Quote:
Image hosting sites are free..
Yeah. I just never wanted to go to the trouble, so I just asked Mrs Ditchdigger to do it.

What's the story going on in the pics? Looks like the aftermath of a major water main break...

Old 05-07-2011, 11:29 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,971,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Yeah. I just never wanted to go to the trouble, so I just asked Mrs Ditchdigger to do it.

What's the story going on in the pics? Looks like the aftermath of a major water main break...
Maybe its from the City Photographer Collection at Pitt's archives. A big chunk of that collection is pictures of road work and construction, I assume that they were documenting the work to show where taxes were going.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:08 PM

41 posts, read 87,231 times
600 block of Suismon Street.

It took me about 2 minutes, only because all the clues had been posted already by the time I discovered this thread. Clue #4 screamed "Deutschtown" and from there I just scanned Google Maps for the church tower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh