Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 05:19 PM

28 posts, read 91,450 times

Advertisements

I filled up my brand new pickup (just purchased in March) at the BP on Rt 65 in Sewickley last weekend.

Drove the car home and the next time I tried to start it, it took a few seconds to start, geared low and then sputtered out about 10 seconds later. I wasn't able to get the truck started despite multiple attempts on a few different days. I had to get the truck towed to the dealer. The service manager said that it is bad gas, it didn't even smell like gas, and was mostly water. The entire fuel system had to be drained and the fuel filter was also ruined and had to be replaced.

The problem happened after I put $80 worth of gas in from the BP on 65.

Do I have any recourse here? I didn't get a receipt at the pump but the charge is on my credit card.

Thanks for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 05:21 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,995,963 times
Probably got a bad pickup. Is it an American made one? That will probably be the issue. I run BP in my European Sports Sedan all the time and it is great fuel. Might want to take the truck back to the dealer and get your money back.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:25 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,886,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCoffee View Post
I filled up my brand new pickup (just purchased in March) at the BP on Rt 65 in Sewickley last weekend.

Drove the car home and the next time I tried to start it, it took a few seconds to start, geared low and then sputtered out about 10 seconds later. I wasn't able to get the truck started despite multiple attempts on a few different days. I had to get the truck towed to the dealer. The service manager said that it is bad gas, it didn't even smell like gas, and was mostly water. The entire fuel system had to be drained and the fuel filter was also ruined and had to be replaced.

The problem happened after I put $80 worth of gas in from the BP on 65.

Do I have any recourse here? I didn't get a receipt at the pump but the charge is on my credit card.

Thanks for your advice!

How much did it cost you? Unless the dealer really screwed you over on labor charges, a fuel filter is like $20.

If it was truly bad gas yea that stinks, but proving it was bad gas and getting something back from BP would not be worth the cost of doing so.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
How much did it cost you? Unless the dealer really screwed you over on labor charges, a fuel filter is like $20.
We paid $200 for the whole repair. We figured we were probably getting ripped off but when the truck won't start, getting it towed to a different shop probably would have cost more than it was worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
If it was truly bad gas yea that stinks, but proving it was bad gas and getting something back from BP would not be worth the cost of doing so.
That's kind of what I was thinking, unfortunately, but figured I would ask.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:30 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,669,143 times
If it was bad gas it should have happened to others at that station.

Unless you can find some indication of that, it seems more likely the car dealer is ripping you off.

Gonna be hard to prove it's bad gas I think unless there are some other victims.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:41 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,205,923 times
Quote:
If it was bad gas it should have happened to others at that station.
I'd agree with that, but unless you complain, you'll probably never know.

Also, with the recent torrential downpours, it wouldn't be too far fetched for some water to have found its way into an underground tank through a defective inlet or something. This may very well have heppened to others from the same station in that timeframe. I'd take the time to look into it...

Old 08-03-2011, 05:41 PM

Oops - just looked at my receipt again. They replaced the fuel PUMP!

Old 08-03-2011, 05:55 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,889,091 times
Water is heavier than gas, so when it's in the fuel tanks, it sits at the bottom of the tank. Sometimes if you're at a gas station early in the morning, you'll see an employee going out to the fill caps with a long stick. To test for water, you smear a mustard-colored paste on the last few inches of the stick, dip it in the tank, and if the paste turns red, you've got water in the tank. Then (as a store employee) you notify the corporate office and they send a truck out to pump the water out. Some stations have newer systems that will monitor the fuel tanks for water and shut off the pumps if the water level gets too high.

Usually you won't get water in your gas even if there's water in the tank, because the water is heavier and it sits down there at the bottom. It can get stirred up during a delivery. (Never a good idea to fill up while the station is getting a delivery, for that reason) If the level in the tank drops low enough, then you'll get water in your vehicle's tank.

You're not the only customer that happened to that day, if there was that much water in your tank. Take the repair bill and the receipt for the gas (or print off a copy of your credit card statement showing the purchase) to the station and ask for the manager. Explain what happened and tell them you expect the company to pay for your repair and also for the tank of gas. If you had to get a rental car for the days your truck was being repaired, take that receipt in too. They probably will have already heard about the problem from other customers and won't be too surprised.

All of the gas stations I ever worked for paid for repairs like that, if they ended up with water in the gas. Even the smaller, cheaper companies paid for repairs. If the manager gives you trouble about it, call their corporate office. It shouldn't be a big deal.

As for how the water got into their tanks, it's pretty common after heavy rains.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:48 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,225,366 times
Call Team 4 or Target 11 and see if anyone else has reported the problem that day.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:48 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,762,751 times
Actually, gasoline has a heavier atomic weight than water, but it's less dense. The density is why gasoline rises and water sinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh