Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 05:55 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,869,081 times

Advertisements

Here is the article:

Developer weighs North Shore project

As it notes, there is an ongoing parking issue. Basically, the development plan for the area contemplated the SEA gradually replacing the surface parking with garages, freeing up most of the land for redevelopment. However, right now the existing garage is underutilized most of the time, and the SEA is balking at building more. But that means the Steelers and Pirates can block the redevelopment of the surface parking lots. Hopefully the completion of the North Shore Connector will help resolve this issue, but for now it is a serious impediment.

But holding that aside, the developers are looking to add more properties with an entertainment theme. Obviously this is an indication that Stage AE is working out very well, and I think it would be great for this to turn into a serious full-time entertainment district, particularly once the NSC is up and running. But I also hope they eventually incorporate some residential, as originally planned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 06:11 AM

296 posts, read 557,982 times
What kind of entertainment theme do they need over there? More pre-fab aircraft hangar concert venues?

Old 05-04-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimacista View Post
What kind of entertainment theme do they need over there? More pre-fab aircraft hangar concert venues?
They seem to be referring to entertainment-related restaurants, but that concept could also include dance clubs, comedy clubs, movie theaters, bowling alleys, and so forth.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:21 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,598,148 times
Good news. They need more dining options.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:35 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,962,465 times
Quote:
"If you are a restaurant with a sports bar and restaurant theme, you cannot envision a better location than between the two stadiums and Stage AE, which will have over 140 events a year," said Herky Pollock, the executive vice president of CB Richard Ellis who helped to broker the deal"
An executive of my company from California stayed at one of the hotels on the Northshore a month or so ago when she was in town for some meetings. She asked me, "aren't there anything but sports bars in Pittsburgh?" It's sort of amazing how bad the selection of food venues is in that area, other than the steak place, there's nothing but one crappy sports bar after another. There's more to life than wings and Coors Lite.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:19 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,685,184 times
Here's a question... where are all the rental apartment developments? All of this north shore development so far seems to be incredibly unbalanced. It's ALL entertainment. I get that it's near the stadiums, but it's also right across the bridges from the largest job concentration in Pittsburgh. And with the addition of light rail over there, it seems like the perfect spot to be putting up housing. Have any developers talked about this at all?

Old 05-04-2011, 09:21 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,268,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronClark View Post
Here's a question... where are all the rental apartment developments? All of this north shore development so far seems to be incredibly unbalanced. It's ALL entertainment. I get that it's near the stadiums, but it's also right across the bridges from the largest job concentration in Pittsburgh. And with the addition of light rail over there, it seems like the perfect spot to be putting up housing. Have any developers talked about this at all?
There are many people, my partner and myself included, who would love to live in or near Downtown but can't due to the scarcity of rental options.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:24 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,685,184 times
It just seems so perfect. It's a sea of parking lots right now. It should be extremely affordable for a developer to move in and build from scratch over there, unlike downtown.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:36 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,931,605 times
It does seem kind of strange that there isn't any residential over there. It's mostly tacky sports bars and restaurants, but I guess that's what the developer envisioned. Maybe it's cheaper for them to do it this way so they can sell it off at some point. I believe that's what the developer of the Waterfront complex in Homestead did.

Other cities have districts like this, but it's not something I frequent. It's full on game and concert days with a lot of drunks whooping it up. And I may have just answered my own question of why there's no residential.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
It's sort of amazing how bad the selection of food venues is in that area, other than the steak place, there's nothing but one crappy sports bar after another.
I kinda like Rivertowne (not my favorite place in Pittsburgh, but good enough for me to recommend to someone in that area).

But generally, I agree that area needs to diversify its offerings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh