Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 11:26 AM

39 posts, read 73,766 times

Advertisements

curious observation: pittsburghers getting upset about unfair stereotyping/generalizations and yet some of these very same people have no problem stereotyping people from west virginia. hmmm. curious indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 11:58 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburgheer View Post
curious observation: pittsburghers getting upset about unfair stereotyping/generalizations and yet some of these very same people have no problem stereotyping people from west virginia. hmmm. curious indeed.
Honestly, people all over the United States do the same thing to West Virginia.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:07 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,435 times
Quote:

Its all of you West Virginians moving here like its Mecca that is giving us a bad name. lol

Old 05-10-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
I had to listen to a co worker who was from Florida for a whole weekend one time go on and on about how much he hated living in the Burgh, he since moved on to Mississippi ( I feel bad for them)
Before that happened I was used to the criticism and always passed it off but that weekend I reached the point that I'd had enough, and even came to this forum as a result of that.
Many of the perceptions of Pittsburgh are unfairly negative, but the only way to deal is to educate people about the city and its' region and let people find out for themselves why it's one of the most liveable regions in the U.S.
An opinion is just that-only an opinion. Other places that Pittsburgh is always compared to may have great qualities but come with the price of higher COL or I see many that have higher unemployment rates.

I have wondered about that myself, what is it about Pittsburgh that makes it so polarizing to people? I don't think there is a single person, native or transplant that is neutral about the city. That is why there are so many Jerry Springer-like arguements on this topic. People just need to chill out.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
I have wondered about that myself, what is it about Pittsburgh that makes it so polarizing to people? I don't think there is a single person, native or transplant that is neutral about the city. That is why there are so many Jerry Springer-like arguements on this topic. People just need to chill out.
I'm pretty neutral when it comes to my beliefs on the city. I love so many things about Pittsburgh, yet I'm not afraid to openly dislike the horse shit we have to deal with as Pittsburghers.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:35 PM

Here is my reply on that bloated thread. I don't care if the morons keep ranting afterward, it sums it up for me and for most people with common sense and that's all that matters:

Quote:
Pittsburgh is hitting the stride with its rebound in 2011, every single negative that the haters are complaining about is improving. This is the point that they all fail to mention, because they are getting off by harping on the negatives, or making themselves feel better by ranting away their personal issues on a message board.

So here is the lowdown:

The weather will always be cloudy and cold in the winter, but that doesn't stop Seattle, Minneapolis, Chicago, or Boston from being great cities either.

Yes their are crumbling neighborhoods and backwards areas, but they are easily avoidable. There are plenty of cultured, clean, and cutting-edge neighborhoods as well. But the only thing that really matters is where we are trending, and we as a city are definitely trending up again.

Look at the facts, we are becoming even more educated, apartment and office demand is the highest in the nation right now. Our birth/death ratio is balancing out, we are gradually attracting more and more immigrants. Our job market is continuing to diversify and grow larger. The bleeding of population has finally come to a halt in the past few years. We weathered the recession better than any other top 50 metro area. Tons of brownfield investment has turned empty run down areas into vibrant extensions of existing neighborhoods. Our downtown is now the most vibrant it has ever been, the difference between now and when this thread was started is like night vs. day.

And this is all happening despite the usually inept city government. So I say we should all join in to help keep this momentum going. If you don't want to, that's fine... but posting never-ending negative rants is not helping anything. You are actually part of the problem if you do, and are just as negative as well as in total disbelief of change as the average Yinzer is.

BTW, I am a college educated 24 year old that likes living in Pittsburgh, imagine that. And we have the one of the highest percentages of college graduates in the country, so I am not the only one.

We are the future and we all have they same thing in common, to turn this great city into one of the best kept secrets in the country.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Honestly, people all over the United States do the same thing to West Virginia.
case in point.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
case in point.
Don't even act like Pittsburghers are the only people to make West Virginia the butt end of jokes.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:14 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
I do think it's funny that the you-tube poster was convinced that anyone who spends "hours and hours a day" posting comments must be a city employee. So what does that make someone who spends hours and hours a day creating you-tube videos?

Besides, does anyone really spend hours and hours a day posting comments here? I do a lot of posting on city data, but I doubt the sum total of my posts equals up to an hour a day. It's just something that kills a minute or two throughout the day when I have to wait for things at work. Even on my most prolific days I spend about 30 minutes total writing posts.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:18 PM

i'm doing nothing of the sort. i'm just pointing out hypocrisy. not particularly by you, but of people in general.

people are offended when something they hold dear (i.e. pittsburgh) is the butt of jokes...but crossing an intangible state line 30 minutes away from pittsburgh (i.e. west virginia) - somehow justifies applying a different set of criteria...which people find harmless and/or are comfortable in doing.

this is my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh