Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 02:41 PM

18,717 posts, read 30,961,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburgheer View Post
i'm doing nothing of the sort. i'm just pointing out hypocrisy. not particularly by you, but of people in general.

people are offended when something they hold dear (i.e. pittsburgh) is the butt of jokes...but crossing an intangible state line 30 minutes away from pittsburgh (i.e. west virginia) - somehow justifies applying a different set of criteria...which people find harmless and/or are comfortable in doing.

this is my point.
Well, even though we're getting a little off topic, I'll take a second to agree with this. WV does not deserve to be a punching bag, just like Pittsburgh does not deserve it.

I don't know why WV bashing is so common in Pittsburgh--but yes, in my observation, it does seem to be more common there than I've experienced in many other places. Maybe I'm more aware of it because I have a slight southern accent and because of it I've had a few unfriendly moments in your city. And that's a shame, because I like your city, and I'd really love to experience the famous Pittsburgh friendliness that others talk about. (Of course, maybe I just met a few bad apples. I probably only met a dozen or so people up there, so it's not really fair to judge from such a small sample.)

Not that any of this makes Pittsburgh bashing ok... but it's something to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 02:49 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,073,716 times
Quote:
i'm doing nothing of the sort. i'm just pointing out hypocrisy. not particularly by you, but of people in general.

people are offended when something they hold dear (i.e. pittsburgh) is the butt of jokes...but crossing an intangible state line 30 minutes away from pittsburgh (i.e. west virginia) - somehow justifies applying a different set of criteria...which people find harmless and/or are comfortable in doing.

this is my point.
Don't worry, we mostly make fun of Fayette county now.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:35 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,099,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Neither did I.

It's yet another example of a Pittsburgh-hating ******* hard at work, but apparently this one has begun spreading propaganda, which puts him on another level. The general message in his propaganda is that Pittsburghers are an inferior, contemptible breed of people, which is scarily similar to the views of the KKK regarding black people.

The next step after propaganda is applied hatred. This is when a person really becomes dangerous, and begins to take matters into his own hands. If you hear about anybody in the next few years being murdered for wearing a Steelers shirt, then you know exactly who did it, and you heard it here first.

Funny, too, that in one of his stupid videos he trashes Central Catholic, which is where my brother graduated from high school, and where I went for a year. That guy must really have a lot of friends -- so many, in fact, that he has a lot of time to put together all his horse**** videos.
Either he has that exciting of a life to mention Central, or the person lived here once before.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:36 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,099,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Well, even though we're getting a little off topic, I'll take a second to agree with this. WV does not deserve to be a punching bag, just like Pittsburgh does not deserve it.

I don't know why WV bashing is so common in Pittsburgh--but yes, in my observation, it does seem to be more common there than I've experienced in many other places. Maybe I'm more aware of it because I have a slight southern accent and because of it I've had a few unfriendly moments in your city. And that's a shame, because I like your city, and I'd really love to experience the famous Pittsburgh friendliness that others talk about. (Of course, maybe I just met a few bad apples. I probably only met a dozen or so people up there, so it's not really fair to judge from such a small sample.)

Not that any of this makes Pittsburgh bashing ok... but it's something to think about.
To me it's probably that WV is to Pittsburgh as New Jersey is to NYC.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:55 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,871,363 times
In general I don't mind a little good-natured joking about Pittsburgh (maybe it helps that I am a transplant).

For example, we are one of the few people still watching Stargate Universe. By way of background, it is a SciFi show which, among other things, involves people being able to visit planets through teleportation devices known as stargates, which have to be "dialed" with the address of the planet in question. In the last episode, they dialed a planet that looked to me like a rundown section of an American town built up in early-mid 20th Century, and I said to my wife, "Huh, I wonder if that was shot in Pittsburgh?" A few moments later, one of the characters on the show said, "Holy crap, we dialed Pittsburgh!" Some back and forth about Pittsburgh ensued, and it was revealed that one of the characters was born in Pittsburgh (since this is taking place in a distant galaxy, she may set the record for farthest-out member of the Burgh Diaspora--Fictional Division).

Anyway, I thought that was pretty hilarious. And I don't think it is hugely problematic--in fact, such powerful branding is a potential asset.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:19 PM

524 posts, read 1,031,265 times
Quote:
curious observation: pittsburghers getting upset about unfair stereotyping/generalizations and yet some of these very same people have no problem stereotyping people from west virginia. hmmm. curious indeed.
FWIW, I'm a Pittsburgher and I love West Virginia and its people

Old 05-10-2011, 04:43 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,209,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
To me it's probably that WV is to Pittsburgh as New Jersey is to NYC.
New Jersey is also the butt of jokes nationwide. One of Colorado's former senators, the illustrious Gary Hart, found himself in trouble once for making a joke about NJ. (Here in CO, many people make jokes about Nebraska/Nebraskans, BTW.)

Old 05-11-2011, 03:07 AM
Yac

6,049 posts, read 7,693,199 times
Guys, don't get trolled by the disturbed regulars on that forum. If anything, be happy they vent over there instead of doing it over here
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh