Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 10:57 AM

94 posts, read 133,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I really find this hard to believe. Where did they take the sample of kids? In a particular school? I don't believe this study to be true. 90%? That can't be correct.
It seems like a lot of the variables would be correlated. For instance, I'd imagine high school dropouts or those who graduated but don't have minimal skills necessary to pass the military entrance test may also be responsible for most of the violent crime in the city. It wouldn't surprise me that if people are lazy in their studies, they are lazy in other things and probably overweight as well. In other words, to get to 90%, they are probably counting the same people twice or even three times. I don't see how they made any effort to correct for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 11:59 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,576,677 times
So where do they get 90% then? I still haven't gotten to read the full report, but I don't see anything that would come out to 90% here given that some of those things would overlap. Only 20% of the kids who take the exam fail it? And that's a PA number not Pittsburgh. Lot of mixing of stats there, not an end to any speculation.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:11 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,666,116 times
In the "In Brief" section of the report, "An estimated (my emphasis) 80 to 90 percent of young adults in Pittsburgh -- approximately 25,000 young men and women age 18 to 24 -- are unable to join the military." The footnote to that sentence reads "This is a rough projection based on the data showing that more Pittsburgh youth than youth nationally do not graduate high school, are too poorly-educated to join the military even if they do graduate, and/or are too involved in crime -- see the data below and in the regular text for more details."

Translation -- we took a bunch of data collected by other people in other studies and then made up a conclusion.

Now, that's not to say that there are not some real issues about which to be concerned, but I would take this "report" for what it is, support for their particular agenda. I think that they have good intentions, and there are real problems. I just think that in order to get publicity, they have made very sensationalized statements.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:15 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,696,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
In the "In Brief" section of the report, "An estimated (my emphasis) 80 to 90 percent of young adults in Pittsburgh -- approximately 25,000 young men and women age 18 to 24 -- are unable to join the military." The footnote to that sentence reads "This is a rough projection based on the data showing that more Pittsburgh youth than youth nationally do not graduate high school, are too poorly-educated to join the military even if they do graduate, and/or are too involved in crime -- see the data below and in the regular text for more details."

Translation -- we took a bunch of data collected by other people in other studies and then made up a conclusion.

Now, that's not to say that there are not some real issues about which to be concerned, but I would take this "report" for what it is, support for their particular agenda. I think that they have good intentions, and there are real problems. I just think that in order to get publicity, they have made very sensationalized statements.
You may be right, however why would they target this area rather than others?

Old 05-17-2011, 12:21 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,666,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
You may be right, however why would they target this area rather than others?
They haven't. Go to the website. They've released Press Releases around the country. They have one report called "Too Fat to Fight: A Brief on Georgia." And "Michigan's Troubled Education System: A Threat to National Security."

Old 05-17-2011, 01:10 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,841,904 times
So this article is total bs and meant to be some hyped up nonsense with no real facts. I had to question 90%. I can see 30%. We are talking about the military. They take people out of prison for goodness sake!!

Old 05-17-2011, 02:18 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,516,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
So where do they get 90% then? I still haven't gotten to read the full report, but I don't see anything that would come out to 90% here given that some of those things would overlap. Only 20% of the kids who take the exam fail it? And that's a PA number not Pittsburgh. Lot of mixing of stats there, not an end to any speculation.
Here's the PA report from that same group (Mission:Readiness, a non-profit group led by Senior military advocating for early childhood education):

http://www.missionreadiness.org/PAEE0609.pdf (broken link)

I think Pittsburgh was highlighted b/c it has the lowest HS grad rate of all major PA cities, and compared w/ select rural areas (see p.1 of the report). Combining that stat w/ the crime & health data, the estimate is 80-90% of the young adult population is unfit to serve. However, that's really not much higher than the national average of 75%.

However, this whole things is not really about the military, it's about the state of education, health, and crime for the youth in Pittsburgh. I'm glad that some are shocked about the stats, for it means that your reality does not reflect this report. That's good news for those of us thinking about raising our kids in Pittsburgh...

Old 05-17-2011, 02:31 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,190,658 times
Ya know, I'll swear on a stack of Sgt. Fury/Sgt. Rock comic books that I'm just as red-blooded American as all the other kids my age, but having grown older and hopefully a little wiser, I'd a whole lot sooner see some think tank coming up with a scheme to raise a generation of kids smart enough to avoid the need to go to war...

Old 05-17-2011, 04:54 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,576,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
However, this whole things is not really about the military, it's about the state of education, health, and crime for the youth in Pittsburgh. I'm glad that some are shocked about the stats, for it means that your reality does not reflect this report. That's good news for those of us thinking about raising our kids in Pittsburgh...
It's not about that at all though. These people are pushing the readiness; that's their agenda.

From what has been stated here in the thread so far, the crime stats they used are adult stats, not youth. The health stats are also adult stats. So the idea that this paints a reasonable picture of the status of these things individually about the city is a stretch. I thought I mentioned this fairly clearly in my previous longer post. To be more direct: I have seen nothing yet to suggest this is useful info in deciding whether or not to move to this area. You'd be better off reading the weather arguments!

Old 05-17-2011, 07:11 PM

32,611 posts, read 77,380,477 times
I never had a "choice" in taking the ASVAB. Our high school required us to take it, and I never knew that I should have intentionally flopped it in order to avoid the constant phone harassment by recruiters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh