Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 06:20 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times

Advertisements

That building stood there since 1872 and was completely restored in the 1990s. The guy who restored it was very upset that it was torn down. Also, it was in a historic district, where buildings of this age are supposedly protected. And what was it torn down for? A cheap grocery store and a parking lot that will probably be out of business and torn down in 30 years for something else. That's not progress. Suburban grocery stores in urban locations is not progress. Common sense would indicate putting a grocery store in the old building, which was much larger than the picture shows (it went back quite far).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 06:21 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I get the feeling the PHLF is dropping the ball again (like they did with the building in the South Side Historic District, which was demolished for an Aldi). I still shudder thinking about it.
it's going to be an uphill battle considering the facades on many of these buildings and who is proposing what there. too bad millcraft dropped its plans for an apartment building IMO

Old 05-18-2011, 06:23 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I'm sure that plenty of neat-looking older buildings were demolished to make way for the other large skyscrapers in Pittsburgh
Yes, which is why we need to preserve the ones that remain!

Old 05-18-2011, 06:23 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,874 times
Quote:
That building stood there since 1872 and was completely restored in the 1990s. The guy who restored it was very upset that it was torn down. Also, it was in a historic district, where buildings of this age are supposedly protected. And what was it torn down for? A cheap grocery store and a parking lot that will probably be out of business and torn down in 30 years for something else. That's not progress. Common sense would indicate putting a grocery store in the old building, which was much larger than the picture shows (it went back quite far).

I agree. I actually like Aldi, but it's not like any of them are particularly interesting buildings, and it's not like you need a specific building to house groceries.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:30 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
To be honest with you, if I had to choose between preserving some ornate older buildings and adding a large skyscraper, give me the skyscraper 10 times out of 10.
Fortunately, there is no need to make such a choice in this case. Carving out the facades along Forbes won't be an impediment to building a skyscraper on the rest of the site.

Here is a quick picture I whipped up. The site as I understand it is marked in blue. The part you would have to carve out to save the facades is marked in green. As this demonstrates, it doesn't meaningfully limit what you can do on that site:

Old 05-18-2011, 06:41 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
That building stood there since 1872 and was completely restored in the 1990s. The guy who restored it was very upset that it was torn down. Also, it was in a historic district, where buildings of this age are supposedly protected. And what was it torn down for? A cheap grocery store and a parking lot that will probably be out of business and torn down in 30 years for something else. That's not progress. Suburban grocery stores in urban locations is not progress. Common sense would indicate putting a grocery store in the old building, which was much larger than the picture shows (it went back quite far).
The address is: 2628 E. Carson St. Pittsburgh. You can search it on Google Maps and check out the street view. The building stands alone in an area that has no interesting buildings. Most all a new area. That area was also desperate for a grocery store and there are lots of people living there. Do you really want everyone living in that area to fire up their huge SUV's and drive to GE when they can walk across the street for groceries? Sometimes there needs to be some sacrifice. I like that little building, but know that area was dying for some grocery store that has reasonable prices.

As far as the land for PNC, I hope they build a nice high rise. PNC does build some cool places and green which is nice.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:42 AM

173 posts, read 309,658 times
I must be one of the few that doesn't like Three PNC Plaza. The conceptual drawings for it were awesome, the reality of the building fell far short. They should have carried the brick from the bottom up the edges, and at the top. Instead they used some plasticy grey material that looks cheap.

http://pittsburghskyline.com/images/...ine.com_33.jpg

That's a decent image showing the gray abomination as I like to call it. Disappoints me every time I look at it.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:44 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjtocool View Post
I must be one of the few that doesn't like Three PNC Plaza. The conceptual drawings for it were awesome, the reality of the building fell far short. They should have carried the brick from the bottom up the edges, and at the top. Instead they used some plasticy grey material that looks cheap.

http://pittsburghskyline.com/images/...ine.com_33.jpg

That's a decent image showing the gray abomination as I like to call it. Disappoints me every time I look at it.
I see where you're coming from, but I think it looks kind of cool like that.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:49 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
I like 3 PNC better than I thought I would from the renderings. I don't think the renderings captured the effect all that green glass would create.

I sorta understand the point about the materials used in the edgings, but I honestly don't even notice that stuff when looking at the building.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:50 AM

173 posts, read 309,658 times
I meant to ask, is the BNY Mellon building being painted currently?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh