Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2011, 10:48 PM

41 posts, read 87,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I think before I signed on I'd want to know what's left of those facades underneath. in a perfect world pnc woudl start ripping them off now to see what's underneath
I don't think there are any hidden facades on the new PNC property, but there is one on the opposite corner of Forbes and Wood, beneath metal siding.

Old photos are hard to come by, but here is the same building in 1931, looking north on Wood Street:

Same building in about 1950 (center of photo):

Last edited by Eugo; 05-19-2011 at 12:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 06:51 AM

675 posts, read 2,098,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugo View Post
I don't think there are any hidden facades on the new PNC property, but there is one on the opposite corner of Forbes and Wood, beneath metal siding.

Old photos are hard to come by, but here is the same building in 1931, looking north on Wood Street:

Same building in about 1950 (center of photo):
Oh man, that poop orange siding looks so much better than that historic crap!

What the hell were people thinking when they built these facade covers in the '60s?! They did the same thing on that building across the street from 3 PNC, when they took the cover off of it I was stunned! THAT was hiding under there all these years?

I seriously think that architects got caught up in the acid craze in the '60s, there's no other explaination for this crap!

Old 05-19-2011, 07:37 AM

675 posts, read 2,098,296 times
To add to my comment above, here is what they uncovered when they took the hideous siding off the front of 535 Liberty Ave:

Look at this building in Google Streets to see what it was like before they removed the cover!

Old 05-19-2011, 08:13 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Not much different then the many would be beautiful brick homes around that people have covered over with plain looking siding

Old 05-19-2011, 08:27 AM

264 posts, read 492,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post

But what they city needs to get a handle on is the insane amount of trouble making kids that hang around the Wood St T station....where all the fights break out, I think alot of those kids just come downtown to purpose hang at the T station and look to start fights with other kids.....That's just insane.
I've noticed the same problems along Smithfield. You literally have to watch where you walk because of the kids horsing around, there have been several times I've had to sidestep someone who's been playfully shoved or who simply is walking or running around in the sidewalk with no regards to the people who actually need to walk there.

The sad part is the majority of them don't know any better because they haven't been taught any better. It's definitely a detriment to having to catch a bus downtown though.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:34 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestLibertyAve View Post
I've noticed the same problems along Smithfield. You literally have to watch where you walk because of the kids horsing around, there have been several times I've had to sidestep someone who's been playfully shoved or who simply is walking or running around in the sidewalk with no regards to the people who actually need to walk there.

The sad part is the majority of them don't know any better because they haven't been taught any better. It's definitely a detriment to having to catch a bus downtown though.
The amount of rowdiness and general low-class behavior is part of the reason I personally hate making deliveries Downtown. I can't take two steps in some parts of Downtown carrying our moderately-priced luxury gift items without one of them pawing at them, making comments, etc. Some people just take no pride in their city.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:55 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
The amount of rowdiness and general low-class behavior is part of the reason I personally hate making deliveries Downtown. I can't take two steps in some parts of Downtown carrying our moderately-priced luxury gift items without one of them pawing at them, making comments, etc. Some people just take no pride in their city.
Why can't it be those type of people moving out and why the population is decreasing.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:43 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
siding is a good, cheap way to preserve something provided you don't make irreparable alterations to teh facde putting it on

Old 05-19-2011, 01:05 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
I'm not defending the aesthetics of orange siding, but as pman notes, it is a cheap way to eliminate maintenance issues.

By the way, just thinking about the projects I have seen which have worked better or worse, I think this project would be helped by the fact the buildings are small in scale, and in the end it would just look like a row of small buildings (literally true, in the case of the corner building). So you don't have to try to pull off anything unnatural looking.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:37 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
Tear that orange crap off immediately.

I don't know why Aldi didn't just move there rather than the south side. With that cheap pole barn siding, it already looks like one of their buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh