Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 09:10 PM

4 posts, read 4,842 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for all the suggestions.

What do people think of Neville Island? The Fairfield Inn on Neville Island is the most reasonable priced hotel near the city I can find, and the reviews are great. Its around 8 miles out of the way, but if I am not going back to the hotel during the day is there anything I should watch out for traffic wise, etc?

Surprisingly enough the holiday inn express near the airport in West Mifflin is just about the same cost as the ones in the city itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 10:17 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,543,247 times
I always forget about that one as it's a little newer and in a kind of odd spot. Fairfield on Neville should be fine though. Easiest way into the city is to take Rt 65 aka Ohio River Blvd. (From the hotel you get on I-79 northbound to go over the river, then exit onto 65 southbound.) Yes there are traffic lights, but it's direct and not too much traffic usually. Though you still wouldn't want to head in that way before, say, about 8:45am. Outbound is actually a little less problematic as long as you stay in the right lane after the West End Bridge, but still better if you avoid leaving between about 4:30-5:45pm.

It won't be the easiest place to get to from the county airport, but that may not matter depending upon your schedule.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:20 AM

781 posts, read 1,612,706 times
Just make sure you take the time to drive through the Fort Pitt Tunnel with your daughter towards the city. It is really brag-worthy and unexpected when you exit the tunnel and see the skyline.

I have noticed hotels are more pricey in Pittsburgh than in other cities. I know a small area (downtown & Eastside) enough to suggest Priceline to family when visiting which is still limited to my minimal knowledge. My Dad Ended up by Century Mall and got a great deal. I thought it was a PITA for him since I live in Squirrel Hill, and I was nervous about him driving in Pittsburgh. He did not listen to my advice to get the Marriot Courtyard at the Waterfront on Priceline. 5 bucks difference from what I saw.

Go figure, my 76 year Dad had no issues driving around and I get nervous and lost whenever I cross a bridge!

Last edited by Sideblinded; 05-18-2011 at 12:37 AM..

Old 05-18-2011, 12:56 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,661,666 times
Are you dead set on the County airport?

PIT has a nice FBO. Moon Twp. is nicer than West Mifflin. There are more motel choices, and it's an easier drive to the city. Airline traffic is almost nonexistent

Old 05-18-2011, 05:10 AM

4 posts, read 4,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Are you dead set on the County airport?

PIT has a nice FBO. Moon Twp. is nicer than West Mifflin. There are more motel choices, and it's an easier drive to the city. Airline traffic is almost nonexistent
I will check on PIT. I am operating off old information about the large amount of airline traffic. As you would guess I am arriving in my own small plane, so I usually avoid airports which are used to handling nothing smaller than 737s and corporate jets.

It is amazing how helpful people are here. This is absolutely fantastic. Thanks.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:33 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffDBoston View Post
I will check on PIT. I am operating off old information about the large amount of airline traffic. As you would guess I am arriving in my own small plane, so I usually avoid airports which are used to handling nothing smaller than 737s and corporate jets.

It is amazing how helpful people are here. This is absolutely fantastic. Thanks.
If you want a really small but nice airport, there is Rock Airport which is north on Rt. 28. There are hotels at the Pittsburgh Mills that are new and might be less expensive.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:07 AM

As far as PIT, it probably depends upon what time. It certainly doesn't have the traffic of the hub days, but it still has its times in the evenings (and, I assume, perhaps mornings, but it's easier to see in the evening), when you can see the airliners/large planes lined up on approach one after the other. Parts of the mid-day should be less air traffic, but you're still going to be dealing mainly with larger planes.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:11 AM
gg

It would be a drag to fly into PIT and get into the city. Why would anyone do that? Much better at the county or Rock Airport. More relaxed.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:40 AM

Dunno. County doesn't strike me as easier drive though, just no airliner traffic. More relaxed at the airport, in other words, maybe that's what you meant. Not so much as far as driving.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:46 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Dunno. County doesn't strike me as easier drive though, just no airliner traffic. More relaxed at the airport, in other words, maybe that's what you meant. Not so much as far as driving.
PIT is busy compared to the smaller airports. That is all I meant. I suggested Rock Airport as well. It is a little further, but really easy to get to downtown and so laid back. No controller needed at that airport, just radio in and land. Route 28 is great now that the construction has started. I can't get over how well the traffic moves without the two dumb red lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh