Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 08:15 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Wrong. McKnight Road vs Rte 22 aka The Miracle Mile are somewhat different when it comes to income levels and housing.

Someone look up the stats.
Most of the eastern suburbs are middle-class, although Penn Hills is lower middle-class, and Murrysville is upper middle-class.

Most of the northern suburbs are upper middle-class, although Ross and Shaler Townships are both middle-class.

The aggregate purchasing power in the northern suburbs is higher than it is in the eastern suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 08:27 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,308 times
I sense a different vibe along Route 22 in Monroeville and Route 51 in Pleasant Hills whereas I get a different vibe if I'm along McKnight Road, Robinson or even Bethel Park. This has nothing to do with it being a bad area or even the perception of, it's just a fact that the 22 and 51 corridors are more rundown than the aforementioned places. Just travel down 22 into Murrysville and you'll get a completely different vibe and feel for it. Monroeville sort of crosses in between the typical suburbia of eastern Allegheny and the vibe that you would get if you were travelling through North Versailles going on to Forest Hills. Moreover, when I travel 48 from 22 to 30, the vibe changes from rundown to practically depressing. Another thing, the Waterfront may be new and popular, but the area it's located has that depressing feel to it. That proves that you can build something new but it won't change the vibe of it.

Last edited by neurodistortion; 05-21-2011 at 08:44 PM..

Old 05-21-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodistortion View Post
I sense a different vibe along Route 22 in Monroeville and Route 51 in Pleasant Hills whereas I get a different vibe if I'm along McKnight Road, Robinson or even Bethel Park. This has nothing to do with it being a bad area or even the perception of, it's just a fact that the 22 and 51 corridors are more rundown than the aforementioned places. Just travel down 22 into Murrysville and you'll get a completely different vibe and feel for it. Monroeville sort of crosses in between the typical suburbia of eastern Allegheny and the vibe that you would get if you were travelling through North Versailles going on to Forest Hills. Moreover, when I travel 48 from 22 to 30, the vibe changes from rundown to practically depressing. Another thing, the Waterfront may be new and popular, but the area it's located has that depressing feel to it. That proves that you can build something new but it won't change the vibe of it.
The city of Pittsburgh and its suburbs are the inverse of each other. In the city, most of the nice neighborhoods are in the south and east, while they're more run-down in the north and west. On the other hand, the northern and western suburbs are generally nicer than the southern and eastern suburbs.

As far as outlying counties go, I've always felt a better vibe in Butler County and Washington County than I have in Westmoreland County.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:32 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
The city of Pittsburgh and its suburbs are the inverse of each other. In the city, most of the nice neighborhoods are in the south and east, while they're more run-down in the north and west. On the other hand, the northern and western suburbs are generally nicer than the southern and eastern suburbs.

As far as outlying counties go, I've always felt a better vibe in Butler County and Washington County than I have in Westmoreland County.
I agree with you on Butler. Washington can vary but is generally better around the 19 corridor down to Washington. The 70 corridor on the other hand varies from location to location as it goes from isolated and country vibe to suburban as soon as you approach Washington then back to country after you leave the Washington city limits. Westmoreland is similar to Washington in that it has that country vibe to the south, but the far east and upper north portions of the county has that rundown feel with certain isolated pockets like Jeannette. 30 on the other hand is not too bad heading east from North Huntingdon when compared to the opposite direction. By the time you hit the shopping areas west of Greensburg, then it feels like Robinson where everything is built out but is only a few years old.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:08 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
In the city, most of the nice neighborhoods are in the south and east, while they're more run-down in the north and west. On the other hand, the northern and western suburbs are generally nicer than the southern and eastern suburbs.
There are run-down neighborhoods on all four sides. I can't think of anything more rundown than the combination of the Hill District, Homewood, Lincoln-Lemington, and Larimer (all east). The only truly blighted neighborhood on the west end is Esplen. The rest are declined but still reasonably intact. Lincoln-Lemington makes Sheraden or Elliott look like Disney Land.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:15 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
Quote:
I agree that each of the suburbs have different overall vibes, but none are in my mind inferior or "bad" areas. Suburbs in general are pretty homogenous: you have the chain stores, chain restaurants, strip malls, shopping malls, etc. Most of the same ones are in each area. Then you have the huge parking lots, split-level ranches, and apartment buildings with balconies. I don't know how you can say one looks better than the other. They're all ugly.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I agree with you on Butler. Washington can vary but is generally better around the 19 corridor down to Washington. The 70 corridor on the other hand varies from location to location as it goes from isolated and country vibe to suburban as soon as you approach Washington then back to country after you leave the Washington city limits. Westmoreland is similar to Washington in that it has that country vibe to the south, but the far east and upper north portions of the county has that rundown feel with certain isolated pockets like Jeannette. 30 on the other hand is not too bad heading east from North Huntingdon when compared to the opposite direction. By the time you hit the shopping areas west of Greensburg, then it feels like Robinson where everything is built out but is only a few years old.
In my opinion, the most desirable highway corridors outside the city are I-79 and U.S. 19 both north and south of the city, PA 8 north of city, and PA 910 between I-79 and PA 8. The least desirable highway corridors are U.S. 30 east of the city to the Pennsylvania Turnpike (I-76), and PA 51 south of the city.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:03 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Why is everyone so down on Monroeville Mall? I'm not crazy about malls, but for what it is, it's nice.
It is still okay, but when I was a kid and that place had an ice rink inside, and its style was amazing! It was truly one of the nicest malls anywhere back in the day. I remember when I was living in Florida and my buddies and I watched Night of the Living Dead and they asked if that cool mall was in Pittsburgh. They couldn't believe the rink and how nice the mall was. It was a proud day, but now without the rink and the changes going on, it isn't anything special at all. Just some mall and the area around it isn't as nice as it once was.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:06 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,374,809 times
The ice rink at Monroeville took up too much space and didn't make much money. It wasn't the best use of space.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:58 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
The ice rink at Monroeville took up too much space and didn't make much money. It wasn't the best use of space.
Maybe not, but it was pretty cool, I attended a bachelor party there back in the 70's.

Too bad hockey wasn't as big then as it is now, a lot of kids play that game and could use another rink.

Monroeville Mall Ice Palace gift to the area | YourMurrysville.com (http://www.yourmurrysville.com/murrysvillestar/article/monroeville-mall-ice-palace-gift-area - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh