Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 02:31 PM

53 posts, read 82,308 times

Advertisements

This is the 2nd thread I've started here in trying to figure where to live. Thanks to everyone who's helped in the other thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...ving-pitt.html

I have to say based on what I've read in other threads and in the first one I started, I am now thinking that Mt. Washington might be the place I should concentrate on looking.

I'm single, no kids, so the place would be only for me.
I need to go into Oakland a few times a week. I do have a car, but public transit is free for me.
I'm originally from a suburb outside a big city, and would like a more 'burby' as opposed to gritty feel.

Looking not to spend more than $600/month be it rent or mortgage.

Does Mt. Washington meet these requirements?

OT: can I edit my posts here? If so, how? TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 03:00 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,816 times
I'm not sure if Mt. Washington fits the bill for what you are looking for. First, I'm not sure what you could get for $600 a month, but there are probably better values a little further out (especially since you are looking for the "burby" feel). Take a look at some of the first ring communities such as Dormont, Crafton, Castle Shannon, etc... All are convenient to Oakland via public transportation, maybe even more convenient than Mt Washington.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:06 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
I don't know that Mt. Washington is very "burby". If you're going to work in Oakland and will be using public transportation, it makes more sense to look in the East End.

I live near the T and work in Oakland, so I know the commute isn't impossible, but it's not the most convenient.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:28 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,263,524 times
I just don't see renting in the "burby" touristy part of Mt. Wash for $600 or less- most of Mt. Washington is very city and some of it pretty gritty like in the areas off Beltzhoover Avenue or in the Mt. Washington Hollow.

Some of the back streets in Mt. Washington and in the Duquesne Heights areas are more "rural" than suburban and require a long uphill walk to get to a bus.

I think there are definitely better choices for your needs.

But if you do have your heart set on Mt. Washington- see what you can see in the areas near St. Justin's above the South Hills Junction and Palm Garden T stops- there are some apartments up there that would be in your price requirements.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:57 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,555,268 times
I just moved to Mt. Washington. It's definitely the right neighborhood for me. IMO, it's a quiet "little town" ... yet in the city. I am currently renting a house for $900 a month and that's getting me a fully renovated home, 3 bedrooms and 2 full baths. This place is a steal and I'm very happy with it. If you're interested, send me a message and I'll give you the contact information for my landlord. Also, the house right next door to me is selling for $62,000. It's not in bad shape...it's an old house, it would be great for someone buying a house who wants to renovate it and stay a while. That may not be your case, but I'm just mentioning the situation.

So far, the neighborhood is great for me. I'm such a short walk to Shiloh Street with your basics--Subway, Wine & Spirits, a few bars/restaurants, PNC & First Niagara Banks, and Foodland is right on Virginia, which intersects with Shiloh. Also, round the bend, and you're on Grandview. Driving wise, I find myself convenient to anywhere I can want to go.

I like the more "quiet," "small town," feel, yet being so close I can walk into Downtown Pittsburgh if I'm really feeling energetic. For me, it's a great neighborhood, but to each his own.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:43 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,912 times
I rent in Mt Washington for just about 600 a month about two blocks from the Mon incline. It's a small place though, so keep that in mind. The location compared to town can't be beat, and I LOVE getting home from work and not having to get back in my car for things. I do think the city should try harder to make this area the destination it's really "born" to be, though.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:06 PM

53 posts, read 82,308 times
What's the commute time from Mt Washington to Oakland? How long does it take riding the Incline?

Old 05-07-2011, 12:24 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,263,524 times
Mt. Washington is a big place, figure at least a 30 minute commute by public transport.

The inclines take about 4 minutes to make the trip up or down the hill.

If you live adjacent to either of the inclines, you have to catch a bus at the bottom to go downtown and catch a bus to Oakland.

Its a 3 part trip with waiting involved although not that terribly long of a wait.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:40 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,912 times
To get downtown you're better off taking the T across or just walking across the Smithfield Street Bridge.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:36 PM

264 posts, read 492,698 times
I just moved to Mt. Washington and commute to Oakland via public transit. I'm under 10 minutes walking from South Hills Junction, so I just walk there and wait a few mins max for the T. Get off at Steel Plaza and catch a bus by the courthouse to Oakland. I've only been doing it a week, but my record is 20 minutes in the height of rush hour from Atwood St in Oakland to South Hills Junction.

Also, the 54C does this trip in ~25 minutes. Unless you're near the Mon Incline, the farther you get from SHJ the longer your commute is going to be.

I say go for it, but if you're relying on public transit to Oakland, make sure you're familiar with the bus routes first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh