Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 02:50 PM

3 posts, read 12,624 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

I'm moving to Pittsburgh at the end of the summer (I live in New Jersey now) and have begun my apartment search. I have appointments to look at places in Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Bloomfield, Friendship, Mt. Washington, Lawrenceville and Mexican War Streets.

I looked at one apartment on Osceola (south of Liberty Ave., near UPMC Shadyside but not Shadyside proper) and the landlord said there was no problems with break-ins because the area was a working class neighborhood and there's nothing to steal. He said he has a house in Shadyside close to Walnut Street and his tenants there had a burglary (though he said it was because they left the window open all weekend!).

I also spoke to a woman on the phone about her apartment in Bloomfield/Lawrenceville and she said the same thing -- no break-ins, there's nothing to steal, all the break-ins and car thefts happen in Squirrel Hill and Shadyside where people have nicer things.

I'm a little nervous because I had wanted to live in a safer, more established neighborhood. Break-ins aren't my only concern -- I also want to feel safe if I come home from work at 10 p.m. and have to park my car around the corner because that's the only space I can find and then walk to my apartment (I'm a young woman of slight build, though I will be living with my boyfriend).

Should I be put off Squirrel Hill and Shadyside because of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 02:56 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,066,997 times
Quote:
Should I be put off Squirrel Hill and Shadyside because of this?
Heavens no. That theory that Sq. Hill and Shadyside get burgalarized because they are the places with the nicest things MAY hold an ounce of water, but believe me, those places are perfectly safe and I have many friends that live in those areas that have never had a problem. I believe you would be safer there than Bloomfield, Friendship, Mt. Washington, Lawrenceville, and the Mexican War Streets.

As for Osceola, I'm not sure. I'm having a hard time picturing that part of time, geesus, it's time to come home, I'm slipping!!!

Old 08-03-2007, 03:07 PM

I forgot to add that we're looking at South Side Flats as well.

I'm not sold on the idea of Lawrenceville and Mexican War Streets. My boyfriend stuck those on the list. He grew up in McKeesport and I grew up at the ultra-suburban Jersey Shore so I think we have two different ideas of what constitutes a safe area.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:03 PM

206 posts, read 688,464 times
Squirrel Hill and Shadyside are by far the nicest of all the city neighborhoods. You'll feel perfectly safe walking there at night. Bloomfield and most of Friendship (save for Penn Ave itself, which is the northern border of the neighborhood) are also fine at night, but not quite as lovely as Sq Hill. Lawrenceville and Mt Washington have nicer streets and not so nice streets, but I would feel safe enough to walk there any time. Mexican War Streets is another story though -- the houses are beautiful and the immediate neighbors are great, but the surrounding area is truly scary, in large part, in my opinion, because a lot of it is abandoned. Just lots of dark, creepy, vacant buildings where who knows who is lurking and who knows what is going on.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:32 PM

136 posts, read 691,165 times
lol I just moved from brigantine to squirrel hill. Those people are just trying to sell there places...

mexican streets sound great and some of the houses are nice but you aren't gonna go for that once you see it I wouldn't bother unless it's a last resort. Basically how you labeled your list is about how the area's rank in safety, although I would gather lawernceville would be up a bit.

I'm not sure if you were from up north or from down south like myself but nothing in pittsburgh save maybe braddock and the north hills even comes close to orange or any of the nastier spots of suburban NYC. Shadyside is the nicest of the area's squirrel hill is a close second and they will usually afford you some tree's and quiet streets. When people say that living here is a midwest vibe they aren't kidding it's a lot slower pace compared to NJ.

the flats are okay it's a nightlife spot similar to manayunk in philly if your familar. lots of drunk kids and late nights. But the houses are cool... once you get into the hills it's quiet but the roads are tiny and tricky + the neighborhoods start to get a little more dicey.

Another area that would be worth looking into would be edgewood.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:49 PM

15 posts, read 63,550 times
From the reading that I have done, and after talking with some professors at the University of Pittsburgh, I decided to get an apartment near Walnut Street in Shadyside. I've heard nothing but great things about Shadyside and Squirrel Hill and those areas are quite safe. You might also consider Point Breeze, as you are likely to find lower prices for housing. But you might want to stay closer to the Shadyside border if you are planning on going to Point Breeze because it also borders Homewood, which is a bad area of the city. You might even consider living in Friendship, but there is not much to do there, and although that neighborhood is OK, the surrounding areas of it are not (East Liberty, Garfield).
I would not reccommend the Mexican War Streets and many places on the North Shore. I've been reading that there is a lot of crime in those areas. Gentrification is happening to some of the areas, but it is early yet, and I certainly wouldn't deem it as being as safe as Shadyside or Squirrel Hill.
As for the break-ins...since it is a big city, you always need to exercise caution and street smarts. Make sure that your windows are locked at night and when you are not in the home. Also, there is a high car theft rate in Pittsburgh. Be sure that you have all of your belongings out of your car or at least out of sight (i.e. IPOD's, jewelry, money) because burglars will see that and it is now a prime target for a break-in.
If you are concerned walking home late at night alone or walking late at night in general, you can always invest in a stun-gun or some thing. They are legal in the entire state of PA except for Philadelphia, and they pack quite a punch. I believe they are around $40 or so.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:09 AM

255 posts, read 1,093,711 times
Lightbulb A Suggestion

One suggestion I would have: From what I gather, houses and apartments in Bloomfield and Friendship near Penn Ave. are less expensive due to their proximity to Garfield, one of the "bad" areas in town.

However, the areas are pretty nice. My wife and I walked around there Friday night with no problems and some of the locals told me when I was looking for a place to rent that crime was no worse there than anywhere else in the city.

There are some cool art galleries and the Pittsburgh Glass Center on Penn Ave. near there if art is your thing, and Whole Foods, Trader Joes, etc. are close by.

Specifically, South Mathilda St. between Friendship and Penn Ave. seems pretty nice and very laid back.

All for much less than you'll pay in Shadyside.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:31 AM

101 posts, read 353,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder18 View Post
One suggestion I would have: From what I gather, houses and apartments in Bloomfield and Friendship near Penn Ave. are less expensive due to their proximity to Garfield, one of the "bad" areas in town.
Bloomfield and Friendship are fairly good areas, but I disagree with the reason for them being less expensive than areas such as Shadyside or Squirrel Hill. After all, both neighborhoods are right next to Shadyside, and Garfield isn't as problematic as many other low income neighborhoods. Point Breeze is a good neighborhood, fairly expensive, and it's right next to Homewood, a neighborhood with high crime. Shadyside is right next to East Liberty, a low income neighborhood that had had lots of crime in recent years but is now in transition to becoming a better neighborhood in the next few years.

I think it's just common to have upscale, middle, and low income neighborhoods. The houses in Shadyside are much generally much bigger and nicer than those in Bloomfield and Friendship.

I live in Greenfield, it's neither low income nor upsacle. The houses here and priced in the middle and it's as safe as and next to Squirrel Hill.

Maaz

Old 08-07-2007, 01:17 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,766 times
Over the last 25 years, I've lived in Oakland, Wilkinsburg, North Side and now live in Shadyside. Here are the rules for all of these neighborhoods:

Lock your doors when you aren't home.
Lock your windows when you aren't home.
Keep valuables out of sight in your car.
Lock your car when it's unattended.
Be aware of your surroundings when walking at night.

I have not had any problems in any of the upscale or downscale neighborhoods I've lived in by follwowing these simple rules of living anywhere in the US.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Lock your doors when you aren't home.
Lock your windows when you aren't home.
Keep valuables out of sight in your car.
Lock your car when it's unattended.
Be aware of your surroundings when walking at night.
Common sense rules for anywhere. I like to lock my doors when I am at home, too.

I think we've settled on a place in Bloomfield a few blocks from its boundary with Friendship and Shadyside and just off Liberty Avenue. Any thoughts on this area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh