Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 04:06 PM

32 posts, read 124,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillsurfin View Post
I lived in Oakmont years ago and the small minded thoughts that continue the false asumption that one is "less" in some way if they live below the tracks and "more" if they live above the tracks still makes me smile. By the way I lived "above" the tracks and was always amazed at when trouble occured the people "above" the tracks just had more money to cover it up. It isn't where you live, it's who you are. I have lived on the West Coast for many years now and I have to say Oakmont is still the best, no matter what part.
Pretty much the same now as then. A great town to live in with several very good restaurants nearby.

We did have a bank robbery the other day though.

On line version of our local newspaper. Advance Leader | YourTwinBoros (http://www.yourtwinboros.com/advanceleader - broken link)

The closest I ever get to the west coast is "SIN CITY".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 08:30 PM

32 posts, read 110,505 times
Angry Oakmont crime

I have lived here for three years and I can't say the place is crime free but it's as safe as an area you will find for miles around. I've had the hood ornament stolen from my car. On a separate occasion someone stold a bag of change I had in the car. My bad though, should have locked up or put in garage.
The biggest issue I have with this town though is NO TRAFFIC LIGHT!!!!! I can't stand waiting and waiting and waiting in the morning to make a left hand turn onto Hulton road. For that reason alone I will not purchase a home here and will continue to rent until the lease expires.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcatchpo View Post
I have lived here for three years and I can't say the place is crime free but it's as safe as an area you will find for miles around. I've had the hood ornament stolen from my car. On a separate occasion someone stold a bag of change I had in the car. My bad though, should have locked up or put in garage.
The biggest issue I have with this town though is NO TRAFFIC LIGHT!!!!! I can't stand waiting and waiting and waiting in the morning to make a left hand turn onto Hulton road. For that reason alone I will not purchase a home here and will continue to rent until the lease expires.
A new traffic control system is being installed now at that corner thanks to Walgreens.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,949 times
Default above/below the tracks

I lived in Oakmont for twenty years. As I remember when Edgewater steel was around the houses below the tracks were usually occupied by steel workers and the houses above the tracks by office workers. Along time ago there was a destiction between the two, lower income below the tracks and higher income above. Obviously some of the housing is smaller and less expesive below the tracks, but It is the quality of people mainly. Oakmont was and still is a great community to live and work in.I never had any issues anywhere in Oakmont.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:00 PM

522 posts, read 1,793,740 times
trolling investor.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minker2000 View Post
I lived in Oakmont for twenty years. As I remember when Edgewater steel was around the houses below the tracks were usually occupied by steel workers and the houses above the tracks by office workers. Along time ago there was a destiction between the two, lower income below the tracks and higher income above. Obviously some of the housing is smaller and less expesive below the tracks, but It is the quality of people mainly. Oakmont was and still is a great community to live and work in.I never had any issues anywhere in Oakmont.

Edgewater is no longer in the picture. The town is still number 1 in my book. Above and below the tracks is no longer an income issue.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:09 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
I think it's a great area, was just there last night knocking back a few at Hofstot's watching the 'guins. Has that old time small town feel with the brick streets and back alleys.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:34 PM

524 posts, read 1,036,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
heh, ok I'll explain. There is a stigma in Oakmont and even other town like New Kensington as well. If you live "above the train tracks" you have money and will live in a nicer, safer area. If you live "below the train tracks" you are the opposite. The area's below the train tracks (although I'm SURE there are exceptions), tend to be a lot rougher than those above the train tracks.
I hesitate to respond to such an old post, but I will to help correct misperceptions about Oakmont. Seriously, there ARE no rough spots in Oakmont. The police are always trying to catch people who drift through stop signs because there's not much else for them to do. There are a number of very nice restored homes both above and below the tracks, but there is not this tension that has been talked about. There is a lovely walking trail right beside the railroad tracks that draws people from surrounding communities both day and evening, which would not be the case if there were problems "below the tracks." Oakmont Bakery, IMHO the best bakery in Pittsburgh, is "below the tracks," along with a number of restaurants and an ice cream shop. The high school and beautiful Riverside park is "below the tracks." Actually, with more people participating in river activities, "below the tracks" can be more desirable as it's closer to the Allegheny River, upon which Oakmont sits, and a number of homes on the river have their own boat docks.

From this and some other posts, it sounds like Guylocke has a friend with bitter memories of high school in the Riverview school district. It is certainly possible that that was this friend's experience, but that does not make it representative of the rest of Oakmont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh