Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 09:52 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,939,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I actually have mixed feelings myself about some of the ones which more aggressively blend buildings.

In this case, as the sketch in the OP was supposed to help illustrate, you really don't need a lot of blending in this particular project. You would just be creating what would look like a row of narrow buildings along Forbes, and next to it would be the tower, pretty much as they already designed it. It needn't have a more unusual aesthetic than any case in which buildings of two different eras are next to each other.
I dunno- the aesthetic is "OK to nice" but the rotation really bothers me. Why not respect the street grid? Not sure what is gained- perhaps more daylight to the street? That triangle of green roof seems like an underutilized residual, although I'm guessing a certain amount of "landscape" is required by zoning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Unless I am missing something, your pictures are just of the bottoms of the buildings.

Here are some pics:

Obviously they need to be cleaned, repaired, and renovated (particularly at the street level), but there are lots of nice details, and it is actually an interesting assortment of styles.
So the new structure would have to come down and penetrate the old structure at an angle. That could be pretty messy. It would mean cutting some existing beams mid-span and then holding them in place (or temporarily detaching them) while new columns are inserted. These would be most likely redundant to the tower columns.
That tower rotation makes even less sense (not knowing all the detail) if one wants to preserve the existing storefronts.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:23 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,074,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
So the new structure would have to come down and penetrate the old structure at an angle. That could be pretty messy. It would mean cutting some existing beams mid-span and then holding them in place (or temporarily detaching them) while new columns are inserted. These would be most likely redundant to the tower columns.
That tower rotation makes even less sense (not knowing all the detail) if one wants to preserve the existing storefronts.

No. The Forbes side is parallel to the street. Look at the rendering more closely...

Old 05-29-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
No. The Forbes side is parallel to the street. Look at the rendering more closely...
Yes I saw that. It means that 2 faces are rotated and 2 are not (one of which is a short face). The resultant tower floorplan is a trapezoid.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:39 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times
If you look at the "before" version (aka PNC's original rendering), they had already planned for a low-rise/base section that would be parallel to Forbes, with the angled tower being built on top of this base (that base is what I have been describing as Brutalist, and in fact it looks unfinished to me).

This parallel base was set back from Forbes quite a bit in their rendering, so I was able to sketch in the facade row basically without having to change that base. In other words, the facade row is pretty much just going on top of what they had as a rectangular plaza along Forbes. Accordingly, I wouldn't anticipate any need to make significant changes to whatever structural plans they already had.

As for the inherent merits of their design . . . I'm more or less hoping to hold aside that issue, since my point here was just to show that preserving the facades didn't interfere with their design. But for what it is worth, I kinda like it.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:59 AM

Unfortunately most of it is behind a firewall right now, but the Business Times has an article about PNC seeking public input on its design, including by holding "charrettes to consult with the community on the street level design and functionality of the building."

So obviously I plan to participate in that process in some way with my proposal, and I will keep this forum updated on my efforts.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:04 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
I've love to see better close ups of this building. I can't figure out what those boxes are inside the building.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:34 AM

675 posts, read 2,089,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I've love to see better close ups of this building. I can't figure out what those boxes are inside the building.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:39 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
I saw that picture previously. I still don't get it though. Is that office space or just large public hallways/areas?

Old 06-03-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I saw that picture previously. I still don't get it though. Is that office space or just large public hallways/areas?
Those are open spaces, like atriums, with offices and meeting rooms inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh