Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 03:00 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times

Advertisements

Oh boy! A panel to "discuss" false prejudice, revisionist history, and entitlements where you will be shouted down and outnumbered by those who want something for nothing. Where do I sign up guys!?!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 03:09 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
All I'm going to say is

- One there are Cities alot worse than Pittsburgh with race and segregation relations..some people have no idea what Racism really looks like on surface..the word racism is thrown around so much it damn near has no meaning anymore.

- Most people who think Pittsburgh is racist because it has Ghettos are people who again never left Pittsburgh...Pittsburgh is the only city in the USA with Ghettos I guess...everywhere else is Utopia.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:42 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,052,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
All I'm going to say is

- One there are Cities alot worse than Pittsburgh with race and segregation relations..some people have no idea what Racism really looks like on surface..the word racism is thrown around so much it damn near has no meaning anymore.

- Most people who think Pittsburgh is racist because it has Ghettos are people who again never left Pittsburgh...Pittsburgh is the only city in the USA with Ghettos I guess...everywhere else is Utopia.
Please help me understand what other cities have to do with this?

So because there are ghettos and racism, in other cities, that are a lot worse off than Pittsburgh, the people who live in these Pittsburgh 'ghetto's' can't speak out and discuss their feelings? They should just keep quiet because people, in other cities, have it worse? I mean, that's what I'm getting out of your post.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:57 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Oh boy! A panel to "discuss" false prejudice, revisionist history, and entitlements where you will be shouted down and outnumbered by those who want something for nothing. Where do I sign up guys!?!?!
Firstly, I am glad this was posted. Secondly, I am not sure how the meetings will go. Seems one has to go and find out for themselves. I am off on Tuesday and maybe it would be a good learning experience. Could be the meeting will be more about what residents can do? Don't know because the meeting hasn't happened yet. Never been to the library there and maybe it is time I went. I will report back if I go of course. Would be good for me, since as someone said I live such a sheltered life.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:10 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Around 3:32 in the first video the song plays as follows:

"Welcome to America's Most Livable City. Please ignore these invisibles with me. You see, Pittsburgh, we built this economy but we still lead the nation in black poverty. Welcome to America's Most Livable City. Just ignore the invisibles with me and state your business 'cuz here the place you live in depends on your race and privilege."

Am I the only one who is beyond irritated with the insistence of many impoverished African-Americans in this city that their generational poverty is entirely the fault of everyone else around them but themselves? I know of blacks who came from "da hood" who built wonderful, successful, upstanding lives for themselves. They did so without relying upon the government for handouts or gaming the system. Instead of sitting around blaming whites for their problems they rose to the call and took action to better themselves ON THEIR OWN.

Polish Hill, my own neighborhood, is an impoverished majority-Caucasian neighborhood, yet we're improving on our own with very limited outside funds thanks to the hard work of neighborhood volunteers who actually give a damn and WANT to see this place succeed, with or without the blessing of the city.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:11 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post

Old 05-25-2011, 05:57 PM

632 posts, read 1,739,929 times
Fully agree with this entire post. I kind of want to post it in public places all over the city for people to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I see both sides. On one hand, yinzers don't like black people, and to deny that is to put your head in the sand. Their clout in the region is diminishing, but they still have enough clout to make things more difficult than they need to be because they still either don't realize or don't care that not all black people are morons from the ghetto with perpetual chips on their shoulders.

On the other hand, many black Pittsburghers either don't realize or don't care that not all white Pittsburghers are bigoted yinzers, so the chips on their shoulders grow ever larger for no reason, and they're no more enlightened than any yinzer is. Furthermore, as long as "keepin' it real" involves not giving a **** about education, and even bullying those black people who do -- and this goes for everywhere, not just Pittsburgh -- then white racism is not the main problem.

Yeah, up to about 40 or 50 years ago, white racism was a legitimate and nasty problem for black America, but even though it's still a problem from time to time, it's not nearly the problem that it used to be, and these days a lot of black people simply hold themselves back, whether it be by "keepin' it real" themselves or by caving into peer pressure from those who do, which, unfortunately, exists on a community scale in many areas.

As for the yinzers...get over yourselves. You are not the city, and the city will move on and evolve without you. In fact, it's really begun to in the last 10 years; you just haven't realized it yet. You're most certainly welcome to evolve with it, though. The alternative is, you can "keep it real" like some of the black people you hate do -- and you can get left behind just like them too.

Face it; the yinzers and the "keepin' it real" ghetto crowd can't stand each other because they're so alike. They're two sides to the same coin and they don't realize it.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:20 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,095,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I see both sides. On one hand, yinzers don't like black people, and to deny that is to put your head in the sand. Their clout in the region is diminishing, but they still have enough clout to make things more difficult than they need to be because they still either don't realize or don't care that not all black people are morons from the ghetto with perpetual chips on their shoulders.

On the other hand, many black Pittsburghers either don't realize or don't care that not all white Pittsburghers are bigoted yinzers, so the chips on their shoulders grow ever larger for no reason, and they're no more enlightened than any yinzer is. Furthermore, as long as "keepin' it real" involves not giving a **** about education, and even bullying those black people who do -- and this goes for everywhere, not just Pittsburgh -- then white racism is not the main problem.

Yeah, up to about 40 or 50 years ago, white racism was a legitimate and nasty problem for black America, but even though it's still a problem from time to time, it's not nearly the problem that it used to be, and these days a lot of black people simply hold themselves back, whether it be by "keepin' it real" themselves or by caving into peer pressure from those who do, which, unfortunately, exists on a community scale in many areas.

As for the yinzers...get over yourselves. You are not the city, and the city will move on and evolve without you. In fact, it's really begun to in the last 10 years; you just haven't realized it yet. You're most certainly welcome to evolve with it, though. The alternative is, you can "keep it real" like some of the black people you hate do -- and you can get left behind just like them too.

Face it; the yinzers and the "keepin' it real" ghetto crowd can't stand each other because they're so alike. They're two sides to the same coin and they don't realize it.

You use the term "Yinzer" with the same malice that a so-called yinzer would use the "N" word. I don't find your utter abhorrence anymore palatable.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:48 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
Please help me understand what other cities have to do with this?.
Sure thing

Quote:
So because there are ghettos and racism, in other cities, that are a lot worse off than Pittsburgh, the people who live in these Pittsburgh 'ghetto's' can't speak out and discuss their feelings?

Sure they can, but what if those feelings are misguided? So because you're stuck living in the ghetto, that's somehow an injustice towards blacks...I'm sorry I don't buy that...

Anyone who educates themselves, lives responsibly, and able to sophisticate and articulate should have no trouble being successful regardless of location..

Like other have said many impoverished blacks try to hide behind "Racism" to excuse/win sympathy points for what really is their own irresponsibility's and life mistakes...I could go deeper into this but I'm afraid of offending some people.

Quote:
They should just keep quiet because people, in other cities, have it worse? I mean, that's what I'm getting out of your post.
No they should keep quiet unless they're truly a victim of racial injustice....I'm tired of blacks throwing around 'racism' willy nilly, again we've completely diluted the meaning to where a person may truly be affected by racism will have their voice minimized by all the noise around them....it's a true shame/

Sorry if I sound harsh, but I'm a very big believer in self-reliance, personal responsibility, and hard work..i have no sympathy for lazy folks, black white, brown or otherwise.

No adult is forced to live in the ghetto, you're their because of you're own irresponsibility's.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:07 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
No adult is forced to live in the ghetto, you're their because of you're own irresponsibility's.
Yep. However, if I went to this public meeting and said such a thing I'm pretty sure I'd be fearing for my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh