Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where Did You Move to Greater Pittsburgh From?
Elsewhere in PA 13 14.29%
New England (ME, CT, RI, MA, VT, NH) 6 6.59%
Mid-Atlantic (NJ, NY, DE, MD, DC, VA, WV) 18 19.78%
Southeast (NC, SC, GA, FL, AL, TN, KY, MS, LA, AR) 8 8.79%
Midwest (OH, IN, IL, MI, MN, WI, IA, MO) 8 8.79%
Southwest (AZ, NM, TX, OK) 3 3.30%
Great Plains (KS, NE, SD, ND) 1 1.10%
Inter-Mountain West (CO, UT, WY, MT, ID, NV) 0 0%
Pacific Northwest (WA, OR) 1 1.10%
California 4 4.40%
Alaska 0 0%
Hawaii 1 1.10%
Canada 2 2.20%
Mexico 0 0%
Central America & Caribbean 0 0%
South America 0 0%
Africa 0 0%
Europe 2 2.20%
Asia 0 0%
Australia & Oceania 1 1.10%
I'm originally from the Pittsburgh area. 23 25.27%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 08:02 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,185,630 times

Advertisements

Native, I live all over the world but always return to the Pitts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmosis View Post
Moving from Baltimore to Highland Park next month for 4 years of residency at AGH. Kind of excited, I am a life long Marylander!
Get a bit active in the Highland Park Community.
They're a great group of people and have a mail list that you'll like.
Meetings are once a month at St Andrews church at the corner of Hampton & N St Clair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 08:05 AM

32,603 posts, read 77,254,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Native, I live all over the world but always return to the Pitts.
I've also met quite a few people, including my landlady, who grew up in Pittsburgh, left, and came back after a number of years living in other areas, including abroad. It seems like no matter how much some of the natives kvetch about the "grass being greener elsewhere" sometimes they find out that's not really the case. It's bizarre, actually, that I've lived here only six months, yet I know I'd become depressingly homesick if and when the time came that I had to move away (my partner sees Boston in his future---I don't).

Is it odd to be more "homesick" for an area you've spent six months in than an area you actually grew up in?

Old 05-27-2011, 08:05 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,859,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
moved here from places like Warren,
I have multiple branches of my family living in Warren, my grandma was born and lived in Kinzua (Well... you know, until they flooded it, and all...) and spent probably a quarter of my youth in and around Warren.

I don't blame anyone moving out of Warren. It's not exactly the most happening place.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
I have multiple branches of my family living in Warren, my grandma was born and lived in Kinzua (Well... you know, until they flooded it, and all...) and spent probably a quarter of my youth in and around Warren.

I don't blame anyone moving out of Warren. It's not exactly the most happening place.
Some people like places that aren't exactly "happenin", though---I mean, look at how popular Cranberry Township is (ducking flying stelletos!)

I'm a "big city" guy myself, but I found out NoVA/DC was TOO big of "big city" for me. My native Scranton/Wilkes-Barre was smothering me because it was too small. I guess I'm sort of like Goldilocks because I've found Pittsburgh to be "just right" in terms of size. I expect our 2020 population to have finally grown over our 2010 population after generations of population nosedives, but I think we'll still be a long ways off before we ever become "too big".

I'm not able to afford a vacation this year, but next year I'm hoping to drive the entire length of U.S. Route 6 and back across the Northern Tier of our state, including through the Warren area. I love hiking and kayaking, so I'm sure I'll get a good dosage of that in and around Warren.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:46 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,822,659 times
Quote:
I'm a "big city" guy myself, but I found out NoVA/DC was TOO big of "big city" for me.
You didn't live in DC, though. Many times I've read what you had to say about NOVA, and thought to myself, if only he'd lived in the District.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
You didn't live in DC, though. Many times I've read what you had to say about NOVA, and thought to myself, if only he'd lived in the District.
NoVA just didn't have any "sense of place", if you know what I mean. Maybe small pockets like Old Town Alexandria or the Town of Vienna did, but those places were reserved generally-speaking for only the affluent. I appreciate that in Pittsburgh lower-middle-class people such as myself can afford habitable areas that are walkable and/or in walkable distance to other walkable areas.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:06 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,954,453 times
Quote:
Yes! We have our first "Elsewhere in PA" selection! I've met quite a few people here from Central PA. I haven't met any others, though, from my native Northeastern PA. In that area Pittsburgh seemed like a different state to most people, and many never visited here before.
FWIW, I think you should consider counting yourself as an "Elsewhere in PA", which would put the count at 2. (Just my opinion, of course you can consider yourself to be whatever you want.) You were only in VA for 17-18 months and even while you were here you spent a lot of time back up in Scranton. That's more like an extended visit rather than a place that you're from.

Scranton is where you spent 90% of your life, and it's the major influence in your life. You're a Pennsylvanian through and through (which is very cool!) so if I was choosing I'd say PA is where you're from. Just my opinion, of course. I think being from Scranton is something to be really proud of--Scranton is a great city and people who are from there have a lot of positive characteristics.

Of course, I'm just looking at this from my own experience and from the perspective of having lived in a few cities for more than 20 years. Once you put that sort of time into a town you realize a year or two somewhere else is nothing--it's just a blip. For example, before moving from Southern California, I spent 2 years in Clemson, SC. Wonderful town, but I never think of myself as being from Clemson. OTOH, if you think of yourself as being from VA, that's cool too.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:07 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,822,659 times
Quote:
NoVA just didn't have any "sense of place", if you know what I mean. Maybe small pockets like Old Town Alexandria or the Town of Vienna did, but those places were reserved generally-speaking for only the affluent. I appreciate that in Pittsburgh lower-middle-class people such as myself can afford habitable areas that are walkable and/or in walkable distance to other walkable areas.
Oh, I'm totally with you on NOVA: worst place in the DC area.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:15 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,185,630 times
Quote:
I've also met quite a few people, including my landlady, who grew up in Pittsburgh, left, and came back after a number of years living in other areas, including abroad. It seems like no matter how much some of the natives kvetch about the "grass being greener elsewhere" sometimes they find out that's not really the case. It's bizarre, actually, that I've lived here only six months, yet I know I'd become depressingly homesick if and when the time came that I had to move away (my partner sees Boston in his future---I don't).

Is it odd to be more "homesick" for an area you've spent six months in than an area you actually grew up in?
I don't like the US much, so I live elsewhere whenever I can. It's also cheaper to explore an area when you're living there.
At the moment, I travel in Europe in a manner that traveling from the States would not support.

I have friends and can settle quickly into the culture and my social circle when I'm in Pittsburgh.
I like canoeing & white water, hiking and camping, so W PA is great for me.

Do I miss it when I'm not there, no.
Do I miss some of the people, absolutely. They sometimes come to visit me in the exotic places where I reside.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:23 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,954,453 times
Quote:

Of course not. Finding a city that fits right is like finding a pair of shoes that fits right. Once you find the right pair of shoes,it makes complete sense that you would like them much more than the shoes that didn't fit right. Even if you had those wrong fitting shoes for a long time. If you were to lose the new shoes it makes sense that you'd miss them (get homesick for them, as it were) much more than you miss your other shoes. Because... those shoes didn't fit right. As for the old shoes, the thing to do is just throw them aside and focus on new things, now that you're happy to have found the right shoes. Thinking about old shoes is a waste of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh