Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 07:23 PM

67 posts, read 221,291 times

Advertisements

I was a Pittsburgh booster before our move from VT, and remain one now that we are here, enjoying it very much and finding myself overwhelmed with things to do, but -

1) there are billboards with pictures of coal miners and a headline saying "we power the nation" - which is scary considering that coal burning power plants are causing something like 40% of the global warming

2) a related problem is the litter which the city does not seem to take as seriously as it could, given the fact that this would be the cheapest way to attract businesses and people to underdeveloped areas and show off its many parks, trees and historical buildings

Other problems like ethnic relations or lack of, might be worth noting, but the good seems to outweigh the bad.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 07:28 PM

255 posts, read 1,094,333 times
Angry Litter

I second the litter point. It seems like they're junk everywhere (except Shadyside, of course).

Yesterday my wife and I were in East Liberty on Penn AVE, the supposedly nicer area of East Liberty, and I almost walked on a soiled diaper that someone had left in the middle of the sidewalk. It was disgusting. And there was a ton of litter everywhere else too.

Litter is something I've really noticed about Pittsburgh and it's kinda turned me off the city. Personally, I have to really not like an area to litter in it. If other people feel the same, then there are some unhappy people in the 'Burgh.

It's time to Redd Up!

Old 08-04-2007, 07:39 PM

Default East Liberty's litter...

is a perfect example - there are tons of little parks, historic buildings (especially that church on penn ave) and they are truly trying to atttracty businesses. You could follow a 12 year old with a can of soda and count your steps to 25 before he chucks it on the ground.

In that case, it would be great if you said to him, pick that up you should know better, but more effective to say hey pick that up, or I'll call the cops - I don't think the city has done anything in this regard.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
One thing my parents always remarked about when they came to Denver to visit was how clean it is (compared to the Pgh area). This was 20+ years ago. A diaper, yuck!

Old 08-05-2007, 09:06 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VALT View Post
1) there are billboards with pictures of coal miners and a headline saying "we power the nation" - which is scary considering that coal burning power plants are causing something like 40% of the global warming.
I've never seen those billboards.

Pittsburgh really isn't a coal mining town. Pennsylvania might have coal mines, but not Pittsburgh itself--a few, if any. Pittsburgh was mined ages ago.

I don't think billboards promoting the coal industry in Pennsylvania (430 active mines in the state) has much of anything to do with Pittsburgh.

Quote:
2) a related problem is the litter which the city does not seem to take as seriously as it could, given the fact that this would be the cheapest way to attract businesses and people to underdeveloped areas and show off its many parks, trees and historical buildings.
Litter has become a problem as a result of budget cuts over the past years.

Funding has always influenced this issue. It gets better, then worse, depending on if there is money available.

Hopefully, litter management will improve again soon.

Quote:
Other problems like ethnic relations or lack of, might be worth noting, but the good seems to outweigh the bad.
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Quote:
What do you think?
I think we could make a list for any city.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:26 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,071,152 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh was mined ages ago.
Yeah and everything else is too dangerous to get. Remember when they tried to mine the wealth of coal under Mt. Washington? What a disaster, LOL.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:04 AM

176 posts, read 767,467 times
Hopes,

If you go out the ft pitt tunnel, and get on banksville rd...they have one of those billboards...and at night, lights actually shine from the guys helmet...Console energy If I can remeber it correctly..

Speaking of garbage, have you ever gone to the southside on a sunday morning...TERRIBLE...

Old 08-05-2007, 10:46 AM

Default People need to agree

1) Pittsburgh is the intellectual capital of western pa, and is home to the senators and the other influential people that have lobbied to give the power companies the green light to burn coal as dirty as they wish. The people of Pittsburgh suffer the effects worse than most because they are the closest - VT only gets part of the after effects of global warming but enought to nearly ruin the ski industry

2) Keeping the city clean is a priority, as important as giving out parking tickets and keeping people safe - I am sure there are enough smart people to figure out how to do this, at this point it is just a question of will power and resolve more than anything else

Old 08-05-2007, 10:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
2) Keeping the city clean is a priority, as important as giving out parking tickets and keeping people safe - I am sure there are enough smart people to figure out how to do this, at this point it is just a question of will power and resolve more than anything else
I agree, and this is not a new problem. Even Beaver Falls is fairly clean, and they don't have much money at all!

Old 08-05-2007, 10:54 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,071,152 times
Quote:
The people of Pittsburgh suffer the effects worse than most because they are the closest
Actually a great amount of Pittsburgh pollution is from Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. We burn very little of our own coal.

Quote:
I agree completely
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh