Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2011, 08:55 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,273,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
With Atlanta's size and market, all will be forgiven and a hockey team will return.
Generally-speaking, the NHL's southern strategy has not been a huge success. Phoenix will be the next franchise to move back north. I just think it's unrealistic to believe that any of these cities will be getting teams again anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Like "Progressive".
I'm not really understanding your definition of "bad." Bad as in the way customers perceive the company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 10:02 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Put the hooch down and sleep it off...
sorry, I was at the game...still surprises me that a 12 inning game clocked in at 3h18m

Quote:
Jose Tabata bounced a single into right field, and Xavier Paul barreled into home plate in the 12th inning to boost the Pirates past the Philadelphia Phillies, 2-1, Friday night at PNC Park to spark a child-like celebration in the infield grass as well as the roughly one-third of the 33,861 backing the home team...If Karstens does not rise to that level, the game would have ended much earlier and much more to the delight of the 20,000 or so red-clad fans from the opposite end of the commonwealth.
Read more: Karstens sets stage for Pirates' 12-inning victory

Old 06-04-2011, 11:44 AM

110 posts, read 193,644 times
There is alot here that I do not see so far,but Pittsburgh is a stand alone city they have professional sports teams, major concerts, the Regatta, the three rivers, several major universities who are contributors to every historical, political or science and technology program, they are a leader in medical, science, technology, and business, Pittsburgh was referred to as the gateway to the west, some of the biggest companies are headquartered here(PNC, Mellon Bank, US Steel, Westinghouse, American Eagle Outfitters, etc. list goes on) even have have offices of all of the big 4 accounting firms here,some of the schools here are Carnegie-Mellon, PITT, Duquesne along with Slippery Rock University & Grove City College north and Clarion University northeast, Pittsburgh is 3 hours from Buffalo 1.5 to 2 hours from Erie, history in the area is longer than you are tall and we have a unique mix of eastern and western European descendents. ok got to go for now .

Old 06-04-2011, 12:35 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
Some geographers describe the area stretching from Cleveland to Pittsburgh as the "Steel City Corridor."

Greater Cleveland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-04-2011, 09:14 PM

Largest crowd in park history
Pirates beat Phillies 6-3 - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (http://m.post-gazette.com/local/breaking/pirates-beat-phillies-6-3-1151550 - broken link)

Old 06-04-2011, 10:40 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Largest crowd in park history
Pirates beat Phillies 6-3 - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (http://m.post-gazette.com/local/breaking/pirates-beat-phillies-6-3-1151550 - broken link)
I hope the Pirates are legitimately getting better. It'll make PNC Park and the neighborhood around it even more of a destination.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I hope the Pirates are legitimately getting better. It'll make PNC Park and the neighborhood around it even more of a destination.
whether it's sustainable or not remains to be seen, but clearly they are playing better ball this year. they've won as many road games this year as they did all of last year. you're absolutely right though, drawing an extra 12k fans 81 times a year (be they visiting or home fans or both) will be good for the north shore and downtown. good baseball attendance, I'd imagine, has a much bigger impact than football...particularly for nearby small businesses, since its more spread out.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:28 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
I'm not sure how many of you in Pittsburgh have heard of the "Tech Belt" concept of connecting Cleveland, Youngstown and Pittsburgh, but here's an article from the Youngstown Vindicator talking about green jobs and the tech belt: Youngstown News, Siemens AG CEO says region should steer toward green growth

BTW, i notice many here underestimate Cleveland and Youngstown. I'd like to point out that those people that do underestimate those towns are the same people that used to or currently get pissed when people underestimate or put down Pittsburgh. If you took the blinders off you would realize that our cities economies and people have more in common than you think. Don't think of Cleveland as the next Detroit, don't think of Youngstown as a dump, these are areas that have potential.

By doing a quick google search you can pull up article after article on the positives happening in Youngstown: the Youngstown Business Incubator, Turning Technologies, Reserve Data, tech and computer companies in downtown Youngstown, the $650 million dollar investment by V&M Star steel (they're building a brand new steel mill in the city of Youngstown). Are there dumpy areas of the city of Youngstown? Yes, but downtown is improving, the university has an enrollment that's growing, we have good hospital systems, a beautiful city park and the surrounding suburbs, cities and towns are actually quite safe and quiet. Dig below the surface a little and you'll find some gems..........

Old 06-07-2011, 07:45 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
There is definitely a lot more going on in Youngstown than some people realize, which is great because they are obviously even closer than Cleveland and could be a real asset as a sister-town (or maybe niece-town).

Old 06-07-2011, 07:58 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post

BTW, i notice many here underestimate Cleveland and Youngstown.
I don't think most people would underestimate Cleveland. Pretty big city in a nice location and it will probably do very well in the next 10 years. Youngstown is a disaster right now. I was just there a couple of months ago. We drove all around looking for a place to eat. I was in shock how bad that place actually is. I was waiting to see a tumbleweed roll through the downtown to add to the experience. We ended up leaving and heading all the way to the North Hills in PA to eat. What a sharp contrast. We do buy furniture in the Youngstown area. They have a very cool contemporary furniture store, but overall the place is a ghost town. I do hope it gets better!

Sorry, but Youngstown can't be lumped in with Cleveland. It is too far away to be like a suburb. It is also in VERY bad shape. I am not saying it couldn't turn itself around, but right now it is looking pretty bleak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh