Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 09:55 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
. Politicians will say that an unfair burden is being put on the middle class, and the wealthy shouldn't be permitted to opt out of sharing the burden of the lower class, bla bla bla. I guarantee they will embrace the "unconstitutional" argument too.

Well, in the Obamacare law signed last year, they definitely will be requiring insurance, and require that it be comprehensive.

That's why the administration has been giving out waivers for. Anyone who gets waiver has a policy which doesn't meet the federal HCR guidelines which are pretty specific
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 10:10 PM

598 posts, read 747,763 times
Quote:
Stick around and it won't take you long to get a grasp.
OK, I'll catch up!

Quote:
I think people should be required to put two million dollars in escrow if they refuse to purchase health insurance.

If they can't afford it, then they must purchase health insurance. It's a great idea! Thanks for sharing!
You are welcome. I'm all about great ideas.
I'm also flirting with the idea of proposing to require a similar escrow for people to cast their votes... just kidding

Quote:
States probably get away with it because it wasn't widely reported because car insurance wasn't a hot issue. Just watch what will happen if they try to pass a Federal law like that for health insurance. Politicians will say that an unfair burden is being put on the middle class, and the wealthy shouldn't be permitted to opt out of sharing the burden of the lower class, bla bla bla. I guarantee they will embrace the "unconstitutional" argument too.
I can certainly agree that such arguments would undoubtedly take place. Insurance is a great tool that had an important role in building the economy. It allows a group of people to share their own risks. But when it becomes mandatory to participate, it may as well not be called insurance, but should be call tax instead. Taxes do serve their purpose, I would just like it to be presented to me as what it is. Otherwise, it is not different from many other financial scams.

Last edited by SuburbanPioneer; 06-01-2011 at 10:20 PM..

Old 06-01-2011, 10:52 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanPioneer View Post
I'm also flirting with the idea of proposing to require a similar escrow for people to cast their votes... just kidding
Escrow, no. 500 question exam, yes!

Old 06-01-2011, 11:46 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,033 times
I think we should just outlaw the poor and kill the stupid. One way or another we'll be rid of everyone!

Old 06-02-2011, 04:11 AM

101 posts, read 218,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Our system is extremely broken from start to finish which is part of the reason why I have been discussing moving overseas with my significant other.
I'd seriously look at the state of VT that's sliding in to single-payer (or might have signed it in to law already) or Canada.

I'm only saying that because Europe's a mess right now.

Banking system wise I don't think people realize exactly how much of a mess. If Greek defaults (and it's really looking like it's only a matter of times) the French and German banks are in big trouble. The UK has a BIG hole to climb out of and is looking at serious NHS cuts right now. (Jump over to the Guardian to read all about them)

Say what you will about the US-- We took our poison pill all at once bank wise. Europe hasn't yet and there's still a huge amount of toxic assets on their books.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:23 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onwardandupward View Post
So trust me, I'm no fan of health insurance companies, but do you guys understand that it's not the health insurance companies that are paying for the uninsured, but the taxpayers? We are ALL paying for the uninsured, and in the most inefficient way possible.

And by the way, a high-deductible plan for a healthy individual with no pre-existing conditions should not cost anywhere near $500/month. A relative of mine; 51 and healthy, got a plan from Highmark with a $3500 deductible for around $170. Well worth the peace of mind, especially if you're a biker - did you see the article about the two doctors biking in a hit-and-run in the last few days? Very serious injuries; no one to sue, imagine if they had no health insurance....

Children's Hospital Doctors On Bikes Injured In Hit-And-Run - Allegheny County News Story - WTAE Pittsburgh (http://www.wtae.com/allegheny/28071574/detail.html - broken link)
The way things are going with Highmark vs. UPMC, it might not be an insurance that can be used around here.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:27 AM

Quote:

He's not being logical, but we shouldn't be surprised about that.
One thing for sure, there are more personal attacks on this forum than any I frequent. Interesting people can't just stay on topic, but putting others down is a way to prop oneself up.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanPioneer View Post
Until recently it was his right to make this decision to take his chances. Why do you feel like you have the authority to criticize him for his free will? How do _you_ know what will and will not be left after _he_ spends any of _his_ money covering _his_ own problems? It only becomes your business when he comes to you asking for assistance. At which time you have the full right to extend or deny any and all of it. The problem is that the latter has already been taken away from you. Not sure if that was h_curtis's fault

Rights, freedom... any of this rings a bell?
Hopes is blind to my situation. I have a bug out plan that would be complex and it involves going out of the country. That part is personal and I am not interested in discussing it here.

My question was, who pays for all these people going to the ER everyday in Pittsburgh. Just wake up and watch the news every morning and you will see there is some violence in the neighborhoods that are always in the news. Seems we are all paying for it and there is cost shifting.

Medical treatments are insanely high in our region. Price an MRI around here and just drive over to Maryland or really anywhere. Ouch!

Old 06-02-2011, 05:34 AM

Quote:
This argument goes completely against everything Curtis believes because Curtis hates that people who get medical assistance. The only way to prevent people from relying on medical assistance is to require all people to have insurance. Since it's unconstitutional to create laws to target specific groups of people, it would be unconstitutional to allow the wealthy to be exempt because the law would target only those who don't have have a couple of million dollars in reserve to pay for catestrophic illness out of pocket.
Here is an idea, stop putting words in my mouth. I am starting to think you are another person on here. It is strikingly similar in style and I have to question you are a different person. I am not buying it.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Well, in the Obamacare law signed last year, they definitely will be requiring insurance, and require that it be comprehensive.
Can you provide a link to this? It isn't how I have read it. Seems there is a choice to have more affordable insurance, but I am not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh