Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 10:12 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,662,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saykinriseo View Post
BTW, I hope I don't get shunned for being a Bengals fan in Pittsburgh. I lived in Cincinnati for some time and the lovable losers kind of grew on me. I just can't bring myself to cheer for the Steelers. Will I be in constant danger of my life if people in Pitt know I don't like their beloved Steelers?

I could bring myself to cheer for the Pens and Bucs.
That's it -- no one give this guy anymore advice. A Bungals fan??? (Just kidding.) I would expect ribbing from co-workers -- a lot of your team s*cks-type stuff, but as far as constant danger of your life, no. I would not get into it with any drunken fans, though, people can be crazy -- who would have thought a Dodger fan would be beaten into a coma?

Do realize that Steeler-mania is huge in this town and you will hear about the Steelers CONSTANTLY. Hines Ward's thumb surgery was covered on the local news recently. I'm a huge Steelers fan, and it makes me roll my eyes sometimes.

Hope the move does work out for you, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 10:36 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times
I'm still a Detroit Lions fan (I grew up in Detroit). No one cares, aside from pitying me. Of course when I wore a Lions jersey to a Steelers-Lions preseason game, I got some colorful comments, but nothing really threatening.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:58 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,940,941 times
For people moving to Pittsburgh without a car I seriously suggest picking a couple of random addresses in neighborhoods you'd like to live in, and plug them into Google Transit to see if living there car-free is a convenient option.

For ease of getting to Oakland for her school and either the East End or Downtown where the restaurants are located I'd suggest looking at Highland Park, Friendship, Bloomfield, Lawrenceville, Shadyside Squirrel Hill, and Regent Square. You can get non-complex apartments and direct access the places you're most likely to go via bus.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:08 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,852,741 times
I will agree with if moving to the Burgh w/o a car East End would be the most logical choice followed by the immedate South Side.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:39 PM

101 posts, read 218,582 times
Thanks again for all the info. Looking like Bloomfield is a strong possibility. Hope to be in the 'Burgh by the end of this year.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:50 AM

110 posts, read 192,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saykinriseo View Post
I understand that there are probably a million threads on "where should I move in Pittsburgh". I have read quite a few and none seem to fit what our situation is.

My girlfriend (31) and I (28) will either be moving to Pittsburgh or near Chapel Hill, NC at the end of the year for her to goto graduate school at Pitt or UNC. Since this is a Pittsburgh forum, I'm focusing on the pros/cons of Pitt right now. I will be looking for a manager job in the restaurant industry (sadly, I expect to stay in fast-food because I'm not sure of the economy for better paying jobs in Pitt) and she will be attending school. We have no kids and generally like a more laid-back kind of area. We aren't what you'd call the "going out on the town" types. However, we wouldn't mind some fun every now and again.

We visited about a week and loved the area, especially the Duquesne Incline and the area (I believe it's Mount Washington or perhaps, Duquesne Heights) near the upper station of the incline. Seemed rather trendy, but the houses a few blocks off of Grandview seemed nice and affordable.

We'd like to rent an apartment (preferably 2 bedrooms inside of a house). Not too keen on complexes. I don't have a car so I'd be relying on public transit. Certain areas seemed better suited to that than others. We saw the traffic and it was nuts, but it seemed to work and flow (provided everyone was in the correct lanes at intersections). This has convinced my gf that she would like to take public transit to school (and she'd like a direct bus route or only one transfer, if possible).

Sorry for the length of this post, but what areas might be good for us? What areas should we absolutely avoid? Would a budget for rent of $1000/month be enough for the apartment and utilities? Thanks for any info you can provide. I will try to check back on this periodically.

Also, should we move (as we have planned) right at the end of the year...in winter? Or should we wait a little closer to spring 2012 when the roads may not be so slippery and snow covered. We are coming from Minnesota, so snow/ice isn't really foreign to us.
try these listings
Graduate Students Rental Options
they sometimes offer utilities included just to make it easier for you and she might be within walking distance or a quick bus ride, and there will be others who is there for the same reason so it will be easy and be more understanding and make friends easy too, plus do not dismiss the idea of working at on of the universities or colleges for yourself they need someone to manage those and there is a few places close to PITT that you can try like Primanti Brothers, The Lube(Quaker Steak and Lube) and there is other fast food restaurants in the area, and there is also some higher quality restaurants in that part of town and in down town so you might something or at least an assistant manager job which will at least get you started, and some of the campus dorms actually have fast food restaurants in them the dorms that are called the commons I believe just got a complete redo and a taco bell in there plus several other offerings so you definitely have a lot of options just keep your mind open and be determined, and if you want to impress them just do your job and keep things moving and you'll be fine and plus when you and your girl have a night off together you can check out a Pirates game in the summer a hockey game in the fall to the spring, and there is all kinds of concerts that comes into town,Paul McCartney was there just last summer, plus all the museums and some free stuff that you and your girl can go see or at a discount because of her being a student at PITT, so the PITT basketball games are tough tickets to get but students can get them easier and you get some other interesting stuff too and if you want to just relax at home you can do that too, so it is the perfect place to be and PITT is a highly respected school and if she can get through there she has something that will give her a bit of an edge, the school is tough oh and to let you know it will be tough to find a place in the middle of winter most places are taken so the best is to try to move by October or you will have to wait to spring to see about finding a place you will like and deal with and the off campus apartments are very popular and they just built new ones there just about 6 years ago I believe so good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh