Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 07:02 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Here is a list of the top 7 employers in Pittsburgh. UPMC is really huge.

Top 7 List: Pittsburgh's Largest Employers | Pittsburgh Business Times
It's sad that Mellon is no longer on that list. Pittsburgh's economy didn't even pause when that happened.

Yes, UPMC is huge. It's nothing compared to what the steel industry was here. And remember UPMC hospitals were independent and employed people prior to UPMC buying them. Some health system(s)s will buy some or all of them. We have too big of an aging population for the healthcare industry to utterly crash here. I think UPMC is making a big mistake by trying to push out the other healthcare system in the city. A monopoly isn't good. I wish the courts would intervene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 07:06 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Fracking is a new industrial procedure, and accidents are going to happen.

Steamboat and train accident, steel mill accidents, all of those things were a lot more prevalent when those technologies came on line.

I suppose that there will be some pressure to abandon natural gas drilling when the inevitable accidents happen.

But that wouldn't be the wise response if we're going to have progress. I would hope they would work hard to make gas exploration and drilling as safe as possible instead of just abandoning the idea.

True to a point, but also in the days of Carnegie and Frick the average person didn't have the knowledge or the say that people do now. They could block out the sun in the daytime and people would not say a word. All just a part of the cost of progress, I guess they'd say.

Maybe coal miners from a few generations ago were told to shut up and enjoy their Black Lung. I kind of doubt the same thing will happen now if suddenly we're all drinking poisoned water.

I'm not against drilling if we're careful, but I can see how it could go bad. People aren't going to accept the same kinds of problems that they did in the past. Like you said, hopefully that will make people work to make it safer.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:21 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Yes, UPMC is huge. It's nothing compared to what the steel industry was here.
Some say we are STILL recovering from the steel days, so even if it is a partial percentage it will have a big impact.

It is a poorly written article as usual, but there can always be a concern if some industry dominates a region. I didn't know UPMC was that huge to be honest.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:22 AM

94 posts, read 134,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlstreet View Post
Which is why the news of an impending Highmark takeover of West Penn-Allegheny has me so excited, especially if they can bring in a major national player to run the system (Cleveland Clinic, Mayo, etc...). UPMC will probably always be tops in the region but they need a REAL competitor to drive down costs and hopefully extend coverage.
According to the Business Times, Jim Ferlo says the new provider will likely be Cleveland Clinic.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post

I'm not against drilling if we're careful, but I can see how it could go bad. People aren't going to accept the same kinds of problems that they did in the past. Like you said, hopefully that will make people work to make it safer.
It sure is a relatively new process and we are not doubt blindly moving forward for the bucks. I was reading about fracking being stopped due to slight earthquakes in England.

UK shale gas drilling suspended after earthquakes - BusinessWeek

It is an interesting process to blast water into shale, it breaks up and they recapture gas. Kid of unsettling not to know the long term effects and what will really happen when you break up a shelf like that and extract something. Can it cause an earthquake? Seems we will find out at some point. My biggest concern is water. Last I checked, humans need clean water to survive.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:33 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
It is a poorly written article as usual, but there can always be a concern if some industry dominates a region. I didn't know UPMC was that huge to be honest.
I think that's partially due to UPMC buying up the physician practices. Now all of the physicians and their office staffs are UPMC employees.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think that's partially due to UPMC buying up the physician practices. Now all of the physicians and their office staffs are UPMC employees.
True and I know first hand the inflated billing goes through them. It is sad. My doctor told me he has no control of the billing process anymore. Everything just goes through UPMC. I went there once and that was it. I just hope to stay healthy, make it to 90 and die in my sleep. Then all will be great!

Old 06-03-2011, 07:50 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
How can Pittsburgh be a bust when it's never had that big of a bubble, anyway? The article calls Pittsburgh "a perfect storm of bubbles" but I don't see it.

Now, if Pittsburgh actually had a "flood of refugees from the Boston-Washington corridor" as is sometimes predicted I could see it falling into a bubble-bust cycle. But, IMO, such a "flood" is just big talk and wishful thinking--and thank goodness! The steady sustained growth Pittsburgh is actually seeing might be boring, but it doesn't lead to a bubble/bust cycle

Old 06-03-2011, 07:50 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Some entity has to be our #1 employer. The fact is that if you look at this in terms of industries and sectors, our economy is highly-diversified and we are getting employment growth from lots of different areas. That doesn't make us particularly bust-prone.

As for health care, the abnormal growth rates in that sector have to slow down eventually--otherwise our economy will eventually be entirely made up of health care. But when that slow down in growth rates will occur is anyone's guess, and it almost certainly will not take the form of an actual contraction, barring some miraculous technological breakthrough.

So I don't know what the future holds for UPMC--individual firms come and go. But the health care sector in Pittsburgh is likely to remain an above-average contributor to economic growth for a while, and then isn't likely to slow down to worse than an average contributor. And in any event, we are a lot less dependent on health care growth than many people seem to think.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:55 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
These lists just keep getting more and more far fetched. They get thrown together to sell magazines and reflect nothing more than what cities are being talked about at the time an issue is published.

I sure hope somebody fills a time capsule with a bunch of these Forbes. Money Magazine, etc. lists. In 20 years it will be amusing to see them all and wonder what could have gotten into our decade to make this such a fad. It's even sillier than the beanie baby obsession last decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh