Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 07:57 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
True and I know first hand the inflated billing goes through them. It is sad. My doctor told me he has no control of the billing process anymore. Everything just goes through UPMC. I went there once and that was it. I just hope to stay healthy, make it to 90 and die in my sleep. Then all will be great!
AGH physicians have a lot more control and freedom. My doctor left UPMC for that reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 07:58 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
How can Pittsburgh be a bust when it's never had that big of a bubble, anyway?
LMAO! I was thinking the same thing!

Old 06-03-2011, 07:58 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post

As for health care, the abnormal growth rates in that sector have to slow down eventually--otherwise our economy will eventually be entirely made up of health care. But when that slow down in growth rates will occur is anyone's guess, and it almost certainly will not take the form of an actual contraction, barring some miraculous technological breakthrough.
Also, the biggest growth in health care revolves around seniors, and Pittsburgh has a huge population of seniors. So I think the health care biz is pretty secure there.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:12 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
It sure is a relatively new process and we are not doubt blindly moving forward for the bucks. I was reading about fracking being stopped due to slight earthquakes in England.

UK shale gas drilling suspended after earthquakes - BusinessWeek

It is an interesting process to blast water into shale, it breaks up and they recapture gas. Kid of unsettling not to know the long term effects and what will really happen when you break up a shelf like that and extract something. Can it cause an earthquake? Seems we will find out at some point. My biggest concern is water. Last I checked, humans need clean water to survive.
Those are pretty much my thoughts too. I worry about just taking some corporation's word for it when it says that everything's going to be just fine.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:33 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,574,076 times
Escalating healthcare costs are a complex problem but they aren't really a result of employing too many (or overpaying) techs, doctors, and nurses. I don't think its a major concern for the city's future.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:52 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Just an aside, but they have been fracking for a long time, and the risks are relatively well-known, as are the remedies. The real problem is just making sure you have the right regulations in place, and that the regulations are properly enforced.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:04 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Well if you think about the current climate of the country, there is some truth to the article. For example:

- Healthcare costs keep rising and people simply cannot afford care. Since healthcare is the biggest game in town, this can be a problem if they cut jobs. Since UPMC just looks at the bottom line and that's it, job cuts are quite possible and high unemployment would be right along with it.

- There is a severe anti-education climate in modern American politics. The Corbett budget cuts are a great example of this, and if universities start cutting jobs we have more people unemployed.

- The student loan bubble is just about to burst. With students $800 billion in debt, this bubble is going to burst eventually and kids may not look to expensive schools like Pitt for schooling.

The city is in a slight boom period right now, but this growth is unsustainable given the conditions of the country as a whole.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:20 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
To be sure, Pittsbrugh should be looking to grow other areas rather than rely on UPMC, but to the extent it poses an immediate risk I'm not so sure. I also don't think that drilling is going anywhere given the size of the marcellus shale and the utica shale underneath it...more akin to the coal that once made PA wealthy. sure, there's no tax on it now, but it seems likely drilling will be going on for several decades, it will eventually be taxed. Two things that show health is PNC's growth and Google's presence IMO.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:22 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
The student loan bubble is just about to burst. With students $800 billion in debt, this bubble is going to burst eventually and kids may not look to expensive schools like Pitt for schooling.
The biggest winners will be the small schools such as Cal U and Slippery Rock. BUT some of the kids who would have gone to the more expensive private schools may migrate to Pitt as a cheaper, yet still prestigious, alternative.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:25 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlstreet View Post
BUT some of the kids who would have gone to the more expensive private schools may migrate to Pitt as a cheaper, yet still prestigious, alternative.
Possibly. However, keep in mind that Pitt is still the most expensive university with public funding in the nation. If they get hit hard by more budget cuts and remain that expensive they may not be that attractive for students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh