Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 06:21 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,024 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure why she should live in Moon, when the North Allegheny, Quaker Valley, and even Pine Schools are much better and also have a good commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 06:45 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,687,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
I would suggest Moon Township in the area near Flaugherty Run Rd. and Spring Run Extension.

For Beaver County I would suggest Independence Township off of Route 165. I'm specifically thinking of something near Saratoga Drive.

The aerial view of bing.com maps is great for checking out neighborhoods. Try a view of "Saratoga 15026" It's a Clinton address in Independence Township.

I know that you said Coraopolis, but I would be willing to bet that it's really in Moon Township. They share a post office.

Too late for me to edit. That's route 151 in Beaver County.

165 is by me in Ohio. Was having a brain fart.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:51 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
I'm not sure why she should live in Moon, when the North Allegheny, Quaker Valley, and even Pine Schools are much better and also have a good commute.
Nothing wrong with checking it out. Moon Area is a perfectly good district, not as affluent as Quaker Valley or North Allegheny or Pine-Richland, but it's not one to stay away as far as I can tell. Moon is likely going to be much closer. Only the closest corner of Pine would have a reasonable commute. Any further and you might as well live across the border and save tax $$$$. Yes, Seneca Valley or Mars are not whispered in the same breath either vs QV, NA, etc but they're fine. SV is really big but so is NA.

Indeed, Moon is listed just 2 spots below Pine-Richland in this ranking: http://www2.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...rolllocal.html So how much of a difference could that be? Quaker Valley is listed at 9, Moon at 17.

This rank isn't the end all either, but it does suggest that Moon, Avonworth, etc. are not particularly off-base suggestions. People want good schools, they don't have to be the perfect #2, #5, etc top districts in the most affluent areas. They can decide this for themselves based on other merits of said areas, such as shorter commute, cheaper housing, etc.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:32 AM

44 posts, read 285,770 times
Thanks again for the insight into the areas. All of this info helps us start making some better opinions when we do start looking during our house hunting in the next few weeks. Two more questions:

- Is Moon in the flight path of the airport? Is it loud there? It seems like it's sitting on the airport from the maps.

- Do all places have basements? I noticed 95% of the listings show basements listed (or game room) in MLS, but I noticed a few of them don't have anything particularly in new construction. Is this just an agent not putting in details, or are there new houses being built that don't have basements now?

Old 06-04-2011, 08:22 AM

Flight paths go over everything really depending upon wind direction, but they'll be somewhat lower in Moon and similar areas over there for sure.

Not every place would have a basement, perhaps, but I can't imagine a house in the size and price range you're looking for wouldn't have one. There would always be a foundation. I suppose there could be some crawl space construction here as opposed to full basement, but it doesn't seem to be common. I don't think you'd find any slab construction here. Almost everything is on a bit of a hill, and it doesn't really work anyway when you have so much freezing and thawing. The basements won't all be finished, of course. And if you look at an old house you might find a working toilet, not enclosed, in the unfinished basement.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:47 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
There are some newer slab construction communities in the west where it's flatter. They're all one story homes.

I believe most are in those low yard maintenance communities with the large modern one story duplexes.

My girlfriend's parents bought one of those. They're not kid friendly communities though.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:25 AM

Oh, yeah, the one-story villa duplex, that makes sense. My mother lives in one of those (not around here), but it at least has a real foundation with crawl space.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:43 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joannagraham77 View Post
Do all places have basements? I noticed 95% of the listings show basements listed (or game room) in MLS, but I noticed a few of them don't have anything particularly in new construction. Is this just an agent not putting in details, or are there new houses being built that don't have basements now?
When I responded to the basement question, I was responding to Greg's post. I just saw your post now. I can easily answer your question.

When houses are built in Pittsburgh, the basements are not finished. They are just concrete floors and concrete block walls.

After purchasing homes, most owners finish the basements into living spaces, like game rooms, eventually.

You don't see mention of basements in the listings for new construction----because the basements aren't finished basements.

There's just no reason for realtors to mention a basement unless it's finished. But I assure you that 99.999% of the houses have basements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh