Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 07:22 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,378,860 times

Advertisements

Living there is not a place for the faint hearted though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 02:31 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Living there is not a place for the faint hearted though
Eh, it isn't like it is a war zone, and lots of normal people live in higher crime areas in other cities--it is only because we have such relatively low crime rates in most of our neighborhoods that these transitional neighborhoods stand out.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:37 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Eh, it isn't like it is a war zone, and lots of normal people live in higher crime areas in other cities--it is only because we have such relatively low crime rates in most of our neighborhoods that these transitional neighborhoods stand out.
That may be true, but UptownKid has a point. Why live in a place that has so much crime when there are better places to live? Bloomfield is a good possibility if you want cheaper with less crime. Regent Square/Wilkinsburg is far enough out of the city to be considered a suburb, but has the inner-city crime stats. It is a shame, because the tiny downtown is pretty cool.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
That may be true, but UptownKid has a point. Why live in a place that has so much crime when there are better places to live?
Basically because you can get a fundamentally great house for cheap, and be part of revitalizing a neighborhood with lots of potential, a dedicated group of residents, and a bunch of new, positive developments in the works.

Again, that isn't for everyone. But for some people it is a great opportunity.

Quote:
Regent Square/Wilkinsburg is far enough out of the city to be considered a suburb, but has the inner-city crime stats. It is a shame, because the tiny downtown is pretty cool.
To correct some gross disinformation in this statement, only one corner of Regent Square is in Wilkinsburg, another section is actually in the City of Pittsburgh and therefore not a suburb by any definition, and none of it has very high crime rates.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:27 PM
gg

Quote:
Basically because you can get a fundamentally great house for cheap, and be part of revitalizing a neighborhood with lots of potential, a dedicated group of residents, and a bunch of new, positive developments in the works.

To correct some gross disinformation in this statement, only one corner of Regent Square is in Wilkinsburg, another section is actually in the City of Pittsburgh and therefore not a suburb by any definition, and none of it has very high crime rates.
I agree there are opportunities there. I enjoy that area and love Frick Park.

Fox Chapel Waterworks is the city of Pittsburgh. Do you feel it is city or suburb? Regent Square is more of a suburb feel. It is very hard to get downtown from there. You want to bicycle from there? Not easy.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:36 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,378,860 times
I see your point half of my peoples live in "da hood"... Only a handful of people I know who live in da hood reside with a pistol by there side. They're good peoples so they don't have to feel too uncomfortable in the rough surrundings... But thats because they're IN the cycle of poverty/lower class/working class... MOST who live in da hood were born in it or a surrunding rough nieghborhood. So I'm not totally thrilled to advise someone to buy or rent in a rough nieghborhood... Hammelet Place, amoung the subnieghborhoods of Wilkinsburg, is IMO a place for natives and urban pieoneers.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Fox Chapel Waterworks is the city of Pittsburgh. Do you feel it is city or suburb?
Anything in the City isn't a suburb. And a lot of areas that are outside the City would be inside the City if it was a more normal size, so it is only by the strictest definition that a lot of stuff immediately adjacent to the City counts as suburban.

Quote:
Regent Square is more of a suburb feel.
Regent Square feels just like Squirrel Hill, Highland Park, and so on. I think the best term for such areas is "semi-urban".

Quote:
It is very hard to get downtown from there. You want to bicycle from there? Not easy.
It is incredibly easy to bicycle to Squirrel Hill, and from there to Downtown if you like.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:36 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
Quote:

agreed. i live in hamnett place and this is basically why. i lived in squirrel hill before i lived here and while i loved a lot of things about it, i didn't know my neighbors, i wasn't involved in the community (besides working retail in the business district for a while), and i didn't feel like i had any say in local government.

i never could have afforded a house in squirrel hill but i have a great house in hamnett place, i'm involved in community projects, i know council people and people involved in local organizations and business owners and pretty much everyone on my block (the whole way around it!). i've walked around the neighborhood canvassing for various things and have been met with lots of friendliness, positivity, and appreciation for good things going on in the neighborhood whether or not people are personally interested in the projects i'm working on.

sure, i think twice about walking past the park & ride late at night, but i have been taking the bus and walking my dog around the neighborhood for almost 4 years now and i have never encountered any situations that felt dangerous to me. some people act like you are going to inevitably be mugged/raped/murdered in the street just for walking around in a neighborhood like hamnett place. that's just absurd. i don't mean to downplay the crime rate here, but it's not the wild west, it's not a war zone, it's not like that movie "the warriors" over here.

incidentally, the only place in the pittsburgh area where i've been the victim of a crime - hell, the only place where i've been a victim of a crime, period, including the rough neighborhoods where i lived in nyc - is greenfield, where our apartment was broken into by a next door neighbor.

is hamnett place for the OP? maybe not. it is DEFINITELY not for everyone. but don't listen to the hysteria coming from some of the posters in this thread.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:54 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
No, the East End is not safe. That's where they test the atomic bombs.
Also, there are trolls under the bridges, and at least one fairy circle in Frick Park.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:03 PM
gg

Quote:
It is incredibly easy to bicycle to Squirrel Hill, and from there to Downtown if you like.
Braddock to Forbes? It is okay, but not a fan of going up Forbes since it is up hill and cars will fly past you. There is room though, just not real fun. Coming back to Regent Square is really nice. Maybe you can use Tranquil trail in Frick Park for a nicer ride? Never tried that one. I just think Frick Park is awesome! You would end up in Point Breeze and from there you can get anywhere on a bike. Would that work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh