Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 01:02 AM

3 posts, read 5,126 times

Advertisements

I am going to be working on Grant Street in Pittsburgh soon. My husband and I found two houses that we're interested in renting. One is located in Penn Hills, and the other is located in Cranberry. Does anyone have any recommendations? I have heard that the commute from Penn Hills is tough because of the tunnel, but I have also heard that the commute from Cranberry sometimes takes up to an hour. We don't currently live in the area, so we're not sure what to do. Thank you for any responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 01:19 AM

116 posts, read 215,174 times
If those are your two options, then Cranberry, without a doubt. Penn Hills has been and still is a declining east suburb with a poor school district and increasing crime partly due to its close location to many poor, crime ridden Pittsburgh neighborhoods.

Also, during rush hour, the tunnel is unbelievably bad.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:43 AM

14,169 posts, read 22,583,485 times
I lived in Penn Hills for 15 years. That's why I feel qualified to recommend Cranberry.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:51 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,614,039 times
Cranberry. End of discussion.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:01 AM

4,692 posts, read 8,984,318 times
Neither. They both suck.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:52 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,198,424 times
Penn Hills is a pretty big place, and not all of it requires a tunnel commute.

The schools are pretty crappy in Penn Hills, but if that doesn't matter, it is closer to the city and should be an easier time getting in.

Most of the areas in Penn Hills are a lot older, Penn Hills has been built up since the 50s, Cranberry was farm country when I was a kid.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:00 AM

783 posts, read 2,012,326 times
Is this a serious question? This is like asking whether one should live in Moon or McKeesport. Seriously, did you look up any info on these places? I don't mean to sound rude. This is actually pretty comical. Penn Hills is a nightmare. Cranberry is a pretty nice, family-friendly suburb. I don't believe it would take an hour to get downtown from Cranberry, but if you're worried about the commute there are far better places to pick closer to downtown than Penn Hills. Penn Hills should only be a consideration if you're on an extremely tight budget, don't have a family to worry about their safety, have several guns at home, decent security system, and are not white. Even then, it should only be considered as a short-term solution.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:46 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,768,265 times
Funny how uneducated people are regarding Penn Hills. I don't feel people realize how huge that place is. It gets bad press all the time, but believe it or not there are still areas that are doing okay. The parts closer to Verona are still okay, meaning upper Verona, around Verona Road and around Green Oaks C.C. They are renting. Penn Hills could be a much better commute than Cranberry or it could be worse. It depends where they are talking about. Parts of Penn Hills are all the way out next to Plum. That would be a terrible commute. Some are close to Nadine Road, which would be a much better commute than Cranberry.

If schools are not a concern and you are looking to rent for a little while somewhere, either will do. You are only renting and not stuck trying to sell either place if you have to move.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:34 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,353,613 times
Eastwood, Lincoln Park, and other subnieborghoods inbetween Frankstown Avenue and Lime Hollow Road are dangerous and to be AVIODED, because they're home to atleast 80% of all crime and homicides in Penn Hills... Also, the Leechburg Apartments are to be avioded. Yet the rest of Penn Hills is GREAT, suburbia with a liltle urban twist; yet still for the most part a wonderful place to live (from what I know of).

Old 06-05-2011, 08:37 AM

137 posts, read 352,488 times
Neither, get a place in the city like Bloomfield or Lawrenceville and take the bus to work... Unless you have children, then move to Shaler or Aspenwall...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh