Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 06:48 AM

32 posts, read 70,287 times

Advertisements

The misinformed and uniformed comments that are on this thread really represents the poor critical thinking skills of most Americans. Americans are so easily manipulated and controlled to think and to vote outside of their best interest. Corporations and the rich (the real rich), however, always vote in their best interest and will always make sure that politicians give them what they want. We have Americans squabbling over teacher salaries...teachers! This is classic crab mentality, while the rich soak it up. Just as with health care, they will privatize education, so that if you want a good public education for your kids, you will have to pay for it. And if you think that I am joking, look to NJ. Gov. Christie has already started it. The only hurdle: Teacher Unions!

Gov. Christie to unveil public-private school partnership plan | NJ.com

There is money to be made in a "basic need" area like health care and education! So just wait until you start paying for "public" education. And to make sure that they sell you on paying for a public education, they will start the rhetoric about education not being a fundamental right...just as they did with health care.

"The right to an education is not guaranteed, either explicitly or implicitly, by the Constitution, and therefore could not constitute a fundamental right." ---U.S. District Judge Michael P. McCuskey Decatur Illinois School Board Ruling, January 11, 2000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 06:57 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin37 View Post
The misinformed and uniformed comments that are on this thread really represents the poor critical thinking skills of most Americans. Americans are so easily manipulated and controlled to think and to vote outside of their best interest. Corporations and the rich (the real rich), however, always vote in their best interest and will always make sure that politicians give them what they want. We have Americans squabbling over teacher salaries...teachers! This is classic crab mentality, while the rich soak it up. Just as with health care, they will privatize education, so that if you want a good public education for your kids, you will have to pay for it. And if you think that I am joking, look to NJ. Gov. Christie has already started it. The only hurdle: Teacher Unions!

Gov. Christie to unveil public-private school partnership plan | NJ.com

There is money to be made in a "basic need" area like health care and education! So just wait until you start paying for "public" education. And to make sure that they sell you on paying for a public education, they will start the rhetoric about education not being a fundamental right...just as they did with health care.

"The right to an education is not guaranteed, either explicitly or implicitly, by the Constitution, and therefore could not constitute a fundamental right." ---U.S. District Judge Michael P. McCuskey Decatur Illinois School Board Ruling, January 11, 2000
I've been saying the same thing here.

Destroy the unions, make the little people fight amongst themselves, make the rich richer and the poor poorer. It's amazing how easy people are duped.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:06 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin37 View Post
The misinformed and uniformed comments that are on this thread really represents the poor critical thinking skills of most Americans.
There is some truth in this, but what if a union oversteps its bounds? What if teachers start making over $100K for working so few days of the year and getting every holiday off known to man?

Your scare tactic of privatization won't fly with me. I will be long dead before that even makes it on the table. There is a fine balance of wages vs. quality. Many schools in Pittsburgh are now out of balance. There are teachers waiting in line for jobs around here. Supply and demand mean nothing when it comes to wages for teachers.

If you want the unions to be safe, they need to be realistic. Some districts can afford what the teachers want, but many cannot. Look at the layoffs that are happening due to budget cuts in the state toward education. It is an interesting time. My district is very wealthy, but the taxes keep going up and up with no end in sight. Something has to give at some point. If the unions get broken up, I feel they will get what they deserve, just like so many industries that wanted too much. Auto workers, steel industry and countless other industries. The balance isn't in balance. Education is going to suffer in the long run. Teachers can make $80K and that is fine, but not $100K. Some districts are okay and in balance, but some are not. Guess we will see how it shakes down.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:11 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
You won't need an education to work in the fields, Welcome to the Third World where only the rich learn to read

Old 07-05-2011, 07:17 AM

780 posts, read 1,384,548 times
Default ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
You won't need an education to work in the fields, Welcome to the Third World where only the rich learn to read
Another union apologist/scare monger?

Old 07-05-2011, 07:19 AM
gg

Quote:
I think we need more people working in the fields. Who says working as some suit in a metro is better than a field worker? I have a feeling it might actually be the opposite.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:24 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
Quote:
Learning to read is a privilege in the Land of the Free my man. Just like access to affordable health care to keep you alive is a privilege.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I think we need more people working in the fields. Who says working as some suit in a metro is better than a field worker? I have a feeling it might actually be the opposite.
The unemployment office can straighten that out by offering the former middle class jobs picking for minimum wage. Soon they will become migrants too. The GOP Pathway to Poverty.

YouTube - ‪A Christmas Carol -- Ignorance & Want‬‏

If we lower our wages enough we can compete with Zimbabwe

Old 07-05-2011, 07:47 AM
gg

Quote:
The unemployment office can straighten that out by offering the former middle class jobs picking for minimum wage. Soon they will become migrants too. The GOP Pathway to Poverty.
There is some truth to what you are saying. The generation before the current one in power was not nearly as selfish. Greed for the lack of a better word must be good? GG

Anyway, corporate profits are for the most part going really well. Corporations are not hiring because they have people working much longer hours due to fear of losing their jobs. We are subbing out much of our work to other countries because it is cheaper to have things made elsewhere and throw them in a container to be dropped off here. I think there will be a shift away from that at some point and I think it has started now. Higher energy costs can be a good factor and disruption in labor in other countries because the people working there are tired of living in sweatshops. Free market is a tough one. My suggestion if you want to ride on the coattails of the rich, buy common stock. Learn about the market and read volumes and invest. Do you know how much money you can make if you invest and know what you are doing? Lots. Ownership of things is the way to make real money. Working for the man, unless you are highly skilled is tough.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
There is some truth to what you are saying. The generation before the current one in power was not nearly as selfish. Greed for the lack of a better word must be good? GG

Anyway, corporate profits are for the most part going really well. Corporations are not hiring because they have people working much longer hours due to fear of losing their jobs. We are subbing out much of our work to other countries because it is cheaper to have things made elsewhere and throw them in a container to be dropped off here. I think there will be a shift away from that at some point and I think it has started now. Higher energy costs can be a good factor and disruption in labor in other countries because the people working there are tired of living in sweatshops. Free market is a tough one. My suggestion if you want to ride on the coattails of the rich, buy common stock. Learn about the market and read volumes and invest. Do you know how much money you can make if you invest and know what you are doing? Lots. Ownership of things is the way to make real money. Working for the man, unless you are highly skilled is tough.
But, the Pennsylvania law which makes it illegal for Police and Firemen to strike was a Constitutional Amendment voted on and passed by the electorate. I'm sure any Union challenge could force this proposal to the same end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh