Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 09:39 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You don't get my point, either. This does not seem like a racial issue to me. It seems like "general corruption". Does it matter that this Nate Harper is black?
There's a lot more pressure on successful blacks than whites. charisb is expressing the disappointment that he let the black community down in representing them. It's unfair pressure because they should be allowed to be flawed and human, but the pressure to be perfect comes from blacks and whites alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 09:52 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There's a lot more pressure on successful blacks than whites. charisb is expressing the disappointment that he let the black community down in representing them. It's unfair pressure because they should be allowed to be flawed and human, but the pressure to be perfect comes from blacks and whites alike.
I couldn't rep you again, Hopes, but -- exactly. I was not trying to make this a racial issue as it is a Pittsburgh forum, but this is one of the things about the Harper situation that makes me sad. I want my younger brothers to have good role models, not to always see Black men 'doing bad'.

And I do wonder what role this all played in Luke's resignation? It is hard to know the whole story.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:46 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
I don't feel sympathy for him. I feel depressed that people abuse their power this way. It is just too common. People who are in a position to make a great contribution to a city and be a force for good too often go in this direction. It is especially painful when there are relatively few people of color who are able to rise up through the ranks, and this guy adds to the many negative images of Black men we see in the media.
oh - i thought maybe you were in the public safety department, or knew him....

i dont think he adds to the negative image of black men, but adds to the negative image of the political machine.

to me, its not painful, since i consider him the pittsburgh police chief, not the "black guy done good" token. arent we used to seeing the tax payer robbed by now? he wasnt the only one involved, too!

Old 02-26-2014, 11:18 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
I couldn't rep you again, Hopes, but -- exactly. I was not trying to make this a racial issue as it is a Pittsburgh forum, but this is one of the things about the Harper situation that makes me sad. I want my younger brothers to have good role models, not to always see Black men 'doing bad'.

And I do wonder what role this all played in Luke's resignation? It is hard to know the whole story.
I had not thought of the Nate Harper story in terms of the color of his skin until I read your posts in this thread, Charis. I have simply assumed, if not completely expected, that politics can, and sometimes will, go hand-in-hand with corruption since August 9, 1974.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:41 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
The fact that he is black means nothing to me, the fact that he is a policeman does.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:39 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
charisb - im not picking on you. but i think you might be missing what the last few posts are saying.

you are trying to have your brothers emulate positive role models. that is admirable of you as an older sibling.

I want my younger brothers to have good role models, not to always see Black men 'doing bad'

i take it you're black? i am, too. but im suggesting that its not always the case, but most people (thankfully) will judge them on being good MEN, not good BLACK MEN. there are enough non-sports role models that arent black for ANY kid.

is it that bad a black kid emulate, say, mark cuban, bill gates, et al?

Last edited by szug-bot; 02-27-2014 at 05:40 AM.. Reason: assinine spelling mistake (their - there)

Old 02-27-2014, 06:14 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times
Its not bad for black children to emulate success of any kind. As a black parent you have to counter all the negativity and stereotypes associated with black men. This gives children the confidence needed to succeed. My grandparents had ten children and all graduated from college from the 50s to the 70s. I was blessed to have high concentration of successful black men built into my family network. I noticed that criminals often come from generations of criminals. Its sad but true. I should add that many children of any race can overcome iniquity.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:17 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
It seems we're both awake, Copanut. Unexpected insomnia is my excuse, what's yours?

Old 03-01-2014, 01:22 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It seems we're both awake, Copanut. Unexpected insomnia is my excuse, what's yours?
My wife has an early flight to Colorado for a week of skiing with the "girls". WooHoo, I'm free, see you at Busky's!

Old 03-01-2014, 07:51 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
My wife has an early flight to Colorado for a week of skiing with the "girls". WooHoo, I'm free, see you at Busky's!
Im free until monday!!!!! My wife and her girlfriends went to a wedding in vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh