Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 06:52 PM

995 posts, read 2,728,078 times

Advertisements

Just got back. Left yesterday @ 1PM & arrived at my hotel in Oakland, a little past 6pm. The front desk clerked told me it would be around $20 to take a taxi to PNC park. I asked about public transportation and he told me I could catch a bus on 5th ave., going towards downtown and than walk over the bridge. The area the bus drove though didn't look very desirable, but once we were in downtown, the view changed immensely. Everything in the downtown area seemed very compact and the roads narrow. I will say however, the buses get around very quickly for decent size city. I think I got off on 6th and smithfield. From there, it was a brisk 10 minute walk to the stadium. I honestly thought it was going to take me a half hour. There seems to be a lot going on in the downtown area including a theater district.

I scalped a $20 tix from a guy selling tickets on the Roberto Clemente bridge. The view of PNC park from the bridge is very breath taking. I honestly don't know if it can be compared to any other MLB park. The Clemente statue between the bridge and stadium was a welcomed surprised. IMO PNC park has to be one of the best parks in the majors. The skyline was well worth the admission.The ticket I bought was off the 1st baseline. Easily $100 or more at Citi Fields & Yankee stadium. Surprisingly, there were ton's of Mets fans at the stadium. I left after the 7th inning to grab dinner. I had to try a primanti brothers sandwich and discovered there was one in Oakland on Forbes avenue. I wasn't aware of U. Pitt being up street. This exlpained why there were a lot of 20 somethings in the area. The sandwich was full of substance, but lacked taste imo. At least I can claim that I had a primanti brothers sandwich.

The hotel I stayed at lacked certain amenities, but it was close enough to I-376, U. Pitt college scene and only cost me $89 for the night. Overall, I wished I has stayed another night. From what little I observed; the entire city seems to have been built on hills. The few people I encountered seemed genuinely friendly. Pittsburgh feel as if its located in the middle of no where. Driving in from the east, there is nothing but mountains and lush green fields. Hopefully I can come back for a longer stay before summers end.
Attached Thumbnails
PNC Park-1st.base.jpg   PNC Park-p.bros.jpg   PNC Park-cityview.jpg   PNC Park-clemente.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 07:25 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Thanks for the report, and I am glad you had a good time!

Old 06-12-2011, 12:03 AM

781 posts, read 1,619,519 times
It is such a great ballpark. I love being able to take Chicago and Milwaukee family to PNC park. They are not rooting for the pirates but love the stadium and spend money on beer!

Old 06-12-2011, 12:45 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideblinded View Post
It is such a great ballpark. I love being able to take Chicago and Milwaukee family to PNC park. They are not rooting for the pirates but love the stadium and spend money on beer!
"BEER!!!" - Psychostick

Old 06-12-2011, 07:08 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazyone View Post
Just got back. Left yesterday @ 1PM & arrived at my hotel in Oakland, a little past 6pm. The front desk clerked told me it would be around $20 to take a taxi to PNC park. I asked about public transportation and he told me I could catch a bus on 5th ave., going towards downtown and than walk over the bridge. The area the bus drove though didn't look very desirable, but once we were in downtown, the view changed immensely.
The bus drove you through the city's Uptown/Bluff/SoHo neighborhood (yes, it has three names for some odd reason) en route to Downtown. This neighborhood is very blighted, neglected, and has a high presence of vacant properties; however, it is generally considered "safe" from a violent crime perspective. In my opinion it is one of the city neighborhoods that is most poised for a renaissance, considering its location proximate to both Downtown and Oakland. I'm hopeful the impending conversion of an old school along Fifth Avenue into upscale lofts, along with the opening of a new grocery store just up the hill along Centre Avenue, will be the catalysts to help this long-troubled area out. Also located here are UPMC Mercy Hospital and Duquesne University, both of which continue to expand and modernize.

Quote:
Everything in the downtown area seemed very compact and the roads narrow. I will say however, the buses get around very quickly for decent size city. I think I got off on 6th and smithfield. From there, it was a brisk 10 minute walk to the stadium. I honestly thought it was going to take me a half hour.
The one good thing about Pittsburgh is that it is a city of 305,000 within a metro area of 2.5 million souls, yet it feels much more manageably-sized. I very rarely run into traffic issues here. While our Port Authority continues to make cuts to bus service we still have a fairly good public transportation system, which is also aided by our unique system of "busways". The city, especially Downtown, is indeed surprisingly compact. I often walk from my Polish Hill home in the East End to the confluence of the three rivers (well, as far as you can get before it's fenced off due to the ongoing fountain reconstruction) in under an hour. Pittsburgh being such a walkable city was one of the factors that helped to "edge" it out for me when I was looking for other cities to relocate to after leaving Northern Virginia late last year.

Quote:
There seems to be a lot going on in the downtown area including a theater district.
Downtown continues to get better and better. Market Square has undergone a massive overhaul in just the past few years and is now home to numerous newer restaurants and other businesses---NOLA, Winghart's, Original Oyster House, DiBella's Subs, Chipotle, Moe's Southwest Grill, Subway, Primanti Brothers, and Starbuck's immediately come to mind. A disappointingly scant number of businesses Downtown are open on Sundays due to the city's apparently conservative nature, as my partner and I had the unfortunate experience of discovering last Sunday before a free Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra concert when both NOLA and Winghart's were closed, leaving us to eat a highly disappointing dinner at Subway. Those two businesses alone could have made thousands of dollars if they were open on Sundays, but obviously profit isn't important to them, so to each her or his own I suppose. The Cultural District attracts many wonderful acts at Heinz Hall, the Benedum Center, the Byham Theater, and more venues. Stage AE across the river (near the stadiums) has also been attracting headline concerts.

Quote:
I scalped a $20 tix from a guy selling tickets on the Roberto Clemente bridge. The view of PNC park from the bridge is very breath taking. I honestly don't know if it can be compared to any other MLB park. The Clemente statue between the bridge and stadium was a welcomed surprised. IMO PNC park has to be one of the best parks in the majors. The skyline was well worth the admission.The ticket I bought was off the 1st baseline. Easily $100 or more at Citi Fields & Yankee stadium.
PNC Park truly is one of the nation's premier ballparks. For as much as I grew up loving the Philadelphia Phillies, Philadelphia made a horrid mistake by locating all of its sporting venues surrounded by a sea of asphalt a very long haul from Downtown whereas sports fans in Pittsburgh can leave the stadiums or arena and have hotels, shopping, fine dining, casual dining, museums, parks, entertainment venues, etc. all within a 5-10-minute walking radius.

Quote:
Surprisingly, there were ton's of Mets fans at the stadium.
As you noted above ticket prices are MUCH more economical in Pittsburgh, which means many NYC and Philadelphia fans who can't afford to get tickets in their own cities come to their teams' away games in smaller cities like Pittsburgh. There are also a decent number of NYC/NJ transplants here, although the NoVA/DC/MD transplants blow them out of the water.

Quote:
I left after the 7th inning to grab dinner. I had to try a primanti brothers sandwich and discovered there was one in Oakland on Forbes avenue. I wasn't aware of U. Pitt being up street. This exlpained why there were a lot of 20 somethings in the area.
Yep. Forbes Avenue in Oakland is often "party central". Garage Door is personally one of my favorite haunts, as friends and I love to play pool while enjoying a drink. I also love me some Five Guys Burgers & Fries, and I've been meaning to try a hot dog from "The O". I can't imagine there were really all that many students around in mid-June, but I'm glad you were still able to see somewhat of a youthful presence in Da 'Burgh.

Quote:
The sandwich was full of substance, but lacked taste imo. At least I can claim that I had a primanti brothers sandwich.
Yeah. People go to Primanti Bros. for the "experience". The food sucks. I took my family, who hails from the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area of the state, to the one in the Strip District when I first moved here and was showing them around town. I haven't been back since. Pittsburgh is a paradise for "foodies", and, as such, it really doesn't make sense to settle for moderately-priced mediocre food when you can buy excellent food for comparable pricing.

Quote:
The hotel I stayed at lacked certain amenities, but it was close enough to I-376, U. Pitt college scene and only cost me $89 for the night.
It sounds like you're describing the Quality Inn on Boulevard of the Allies.

Quote:
Overall, I wished I has stayed another night.
Pittsburgh offers a lot of bang for your buck to visitors. I've lived here six months, and I have yet to visit the zoo, aquarium, aviary, any of the museums, Hard Rock Cafe, Dave & Buster's, 24 out of the 25 "Top Restaurants" (as indicated by a recent poll in Pittsburgh Magazine), North Park, South Park, the inclines, most Cultural District venues, a Steelers game, a Penguins game, and much more. I need to have a burger at Tessaro's in Bloomfield. I need to rent a kayak and paddle around the Point. I have yet to even try the coffeeshop in my own neighborhood! I'm trying to save now to buy a pair of tickets to see "Wicked" this Fall. There's just so much to do and so little time!

Quote:
From what little I observed; the entire city seems to have been built on hills.
That's an understatement. Our topography provides some excellent urban vistas. Besides Mt. Washington some of my favorite skyline views are from I-279 inbound, Greenfield, and parts of the North Side.

Quote:
The few people I encountered seemed genuinely friendly.
Yes. One thing I like about this place better than NoVA is that people here (for the most part) are decidedly less pretentious, less competitive, and are less likely to cast you aside as a potential friend if you aren't the type who will help to "further" them somehow. People in Pittsburgh, overall, will take you and love you, flaws and all.

Quote:
Pittsburgh feel as if its located in the middle of no where. Driving in from the east, there is nothing but mountains and lush green fields.
The isolation of the city is a mixed blessing. It supresses the likelihood of us being overrun by BosWash Corridor transplant burnouts, causing our cost-of-living to soar, it makes us unattractive for being overrun by illegal immigrants (in fact, a recent study showed Pittsburgh is the U.S. city with the highest proportion of educated immigrants), and it keeps the pace here a bit slower and more manageable. At the same time, though, it would be nice to have more urban options than Wheeling, Weirton, Erie, Altoona, Cumberland, Youngstown, and Cleveland, for example, as "day-trips".

Quote:
Hopefully I can come back for a longer stay before summers end.
We'd love to have you!

Old 06-12-2011, 07:53 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Just got back. Left yesterday @ 1PM & arrived at my hotel in Oakland, a little past 6pm....
Thanks for telling us your experience. Hope you return again.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:07 PM

128 posts, read 201,370 times
Thanks for visiting and definitely come again! I moved to Pittsburgh in January, saw one game and ended up buying another 12 games - including 3 against my boyhood faves the Cardinals! Can't go wrong at PNC Park!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Yep. Forbes Avenue in Oakland is often "party central". Garage Door is personally one of my favorite haunts, as friends and I love to play pool while enjoying a drink. I also love me some Five Guys Burgers & Fries, and I've been meaning to try a hot dog from "The O". I can't imagine there were really all that many students around in mid-June, but I'm glad you were still able to see somewhat of a youthful presence in Da 'Burgh.
Working at CMU I rather enjoy an Oakland devoid of throngs of kids (spoken in my best 30 year-old 'get off my lawn' voice). Less competition for my Precious Little Bacon Cheeseburger! Pro tip: ordering a 'little' means it won't go to your hips, amirite?

Quote:
Pittsburgh offers a lot of bang for your buck to visitors. I've lived here six months, and I have yet to visit the zoo, aquarium, aviary, any of the museums, Hard Rock Cafe, Dave & Buster's, 24 out of the 25 "Top Restaurants" (as indicated by a recent poll in Pittsburgh Magazine), North Park, South Park, the inclines, most Cultural District venues, a Steelers game, a Penguins game, and much more. I need to have a burger at Tessaro's in Bloomfield. I need to rent a kayak and paddle around the Point. I have yet to even try the coffeeshop in my own neighborhood! I'm trying to save now to buy a pair of tickets to see "Wicked" this Fall. There's just so much to do and so little time!
Ooh, a bucket list! Let's see here... I've done the aviary, Warhol museum, Phipps, 1 of the top 25 (wonder if its the same?), a few Buccos games, game 7 of the Tampa playoff series (awesome, I want season tickets!) and the Strip. Guys at work keep saying we need to get to Tessaro's, only a matter of time. I still need my cultural exposure as well and was thinking of Wicked. I couldn't make it to Cirque unfortunately, shame since I've seen a few others :/ I'm still in awe of everything there is to do here, but so much more to see!

Quote:
The isolation of the city is a mixed blessing. It supresses the likelihood of us being overrun by BosWash Corridor transplant burnouts, causing our cost-of-living to soar, it makes us unattractive for being overrun by illegal immigrants (in fact, a recent study showed Pittsburgh is the U.S. city with the highest proportion of educated immigrants), and it keeps the pace here a bit slower and more manageable. At the same time, though, it would be nice to have more urban options than Wheeling, Weirton, Erie, Altoona, Cumberland, Youngstown, and Cleveland, for example, as "day-trips".
Like yourself? I got lucky, since my partner got relocated up here, to discover the new Pittsburgh. Think it'll really take that long for others, or even entire corporations, to discover the same thing (Google is expanding)? The influx of educated professionals is fantastic but we might not be able to be hidden forever looking at the expanding skyline and thriving university district!

Old 06-13-2011, 06:23 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madg0at View Post
Working at CMU I rather enjoy an Oakland devoid of throngs of kids (spoken in my best 30 year-old 'get off my lawn' voice).
I went to a rather conservative Catholic college in a rather conservative corner of the state, so I do enjoy frolicking down Forbes Avenue every now and then and being exposed to "real" college life for a change of pace, albeit I'm now ancient at age 24. The better half, who is also 24, went to Pitt and still has enough connections there to get us an "in" on a lot of the happenings in and around Oakland. I work with some co-workers who are fresh out of college themselves, so it helps to keep me feeling young! I really wish I had gone to college here in Pittsburgh instead of in Wilkes-Barre.

Quote:
Less competition for my Precious Little Bacon Cheeseburger!
LMAO! I hate to admit this, but I read this the wrong way at first and thought "precious little bacon cheeseburger" was your "pet name" for your better half, and the lack of college kids running amok was "less competition" for him.

Quote:
Pro tip: ordering a 'little' means it won't go to your hips, amirite?
You need to follow typical Weight Watchers logic. If it's a diet soda, then you can have two cans. If it's a salad bar, then you can have two full plates instead of one full plate of something else.

Quote:
Ooh, a bucket list! Let's see here... I've done the aviary, Warhol museum, Phipps, 1 of the top 25 (wonder if its the same?), a few Buccos games, game 7 of the Tampa playoff series (awesome, I want season tickets!) and the Strip.
The 1 of the top 25 I've been to was Piccolo Forno in Lawrenceville. I really want to get down to do some kayaking around the Point soon!

Quote:
Guys at work keep saying we need to get to Tessaro's, only a matter of time. I still need my cultural exposure as well and was thinking of Wicked. I couldn't make it to Cirque unfortunately, shame since I've seen a few others :/ I'm still in awe of everything there is to do here, but so much more to see!
Tessaro's has been calling my name since I moved here, but, alas, the better half has never had a burger, so I'm always trying to find places that have a LOT of variety in their offerings. I may just go myself sometime after work. I know Wicked tickets will definitely be over $100/each, and since I can't afford that right now all I can do is hope I won't continue to be underemployed by then so I'll have more discretionary income to enjoy these nice (yet expensive) cultural amenities Pittsburgh offers. A co-worker of mine attended Cirque du Soleil and loved it.

Quote:
Like yourself?
For me all it took was some very extensive research to find out about the "secret" that is Pittsburgh. I was living paycheck-to-paycheck in both NoVA and now here, too. The difference? I foresee myself eventually being able to afford my own home here (NOT a 1-BR condo in a questionable area), I can afford to rent on my own in a walkable, safe, historic neighborhood instead of needing two CraigsList strangers to do so, traffic gives me much fewer headaches, people are generally more relaxed and friendlier, and I feel more of a non-financial "reward" from my current underemployment than I did with my previous position.

Quote:
I got lucky, since my partner got relocated up here, to discover the new Pittsburgh. Think it'll really take that long for others, or even entire corporations, to discover the same thing (Google is expanding)? The influx of educated professionals is fantastic but we might not be able to be hidden forever looking at the expanding skyline and thriving university district!
An influx of young and educated people is a mixed blessing. We'll become more cosmopolitan, desirable, hip, trendy, etc., but at the same time we'll also become much more expensive, congested, and stressful. We need to strike a delicate balance between manageable and modest growth and rapid and uncontrollable growth. The 2010 Census showed a sharp population drop from the 2000 Census; however, I'm inclined to believe that in the last couple of years of the decade that nosedive ebbed, which means we should grow modestly from 2010 to 2020.

The "expanding skyline" excites me as well. In addition to PNC's recent announcement about a new skyscraper a block north of Market Square on Wood Street between Forbes and Fifth, you also have numerous residential conversions of old office buildings and vacant upper-floors underway. More people living Downtown generates more foot traffic, which will help to sustain existing businesses and will encourage new ones to establish themselves. The denser and more vibrant our Downtown becomes, the easier "sell" we'll be to corporations considering expansion into Da 'Burgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh