Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 07:56 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoh View Post
...but I'm wondering if it will lead to a lot of loitering.
You're wondering if a homeless shelter will cause loitering. What do you think the homeless do when they don't have shelter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 08:08 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,359,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You're wondering if a homeless shelter will cause loitering. What do you think the homeless do when they don't have shelter?

ditto

Old 06-12-2011, 08:24 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
You are missing the point. A huge shelter like this will have a big concentration of homeless and people on the skids looking for a place to get anything for free they can. Will there be enough room for them all? Where will they go if turned away because the shelter is free? There is a host of possible negatives. I wouldn't want to live next to one, but if it was a few block away, I wouldn't care that much. I guess if you live a life of reading and media and never walk or ride a bike by a place like this, you can say, hey they will have a place to go that is great, but until you see lines form outside or people desperate hoping to get anything free, you are just speaking from a non real perspective.

It is an okay location that won't have that big of an impact on many, but to think it is going to clean up the city and there will be no homeless, think again. I am not against it, just want people to have a clearer picture of reality. Time will tell if it will be some huge hangout for the handout people and it will be overflowing. No one can fully predict until it is in place.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:42 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
The homeless will be there one way or the other. The choice (IMO) is whether you want to walk by them sleeping in an alleyway or lined up in front of a shelter. Of course, it's possible that a nice new shelter would draw more homeless people to Pittsburgh from the surrounding small towns.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
You are missing the point. A huge shelter like this will have a big concentration of homeless and people on the skids looking for a place to get anything for free they can. Will there be enough room for them all? Where will they go if turned away because the shelter is free? There is a host of possible negatives. I wouldn't want to live next to one, but if it was a few block away, I wouldn't care that much. I guess if you live a life of reading and media and never walk or ride a bike by a place like this, you can say, hey they will have a place to go that is great, but until you see lines form outside or people desperate hoping to get anything free, you are just speaking from a non real perspective.
You don't understand homeless people. Many don't want to be in a shelter. They prefer to live under the bridge. They'll only seek shelter in below zero temps and some won't even do that. Most of the homeless from other areas of the city aren't going to permanently migrate to East Liberty simply because there's a new homeless shelter built.

Quote:
It is an okay location that won't have that big of an impact on many, but to think it is going to clean up the city and there will be no homeless, think again. I am not against it, just want people to have a clearer picture of reality. Time will tell if it will be some huge hangout for the handout people and it will be overflowing. No one can fully predict until it is in place.
I don't see East Liberty as desirable hangout area of homeless. The type of hand out "business" that works for them isn't readily available in East Liberty. Whatever homeless are already in that area will be there. But I don't see a homeless shelter attracting more homeless to the area. They already have their campsites and social networks/safety groups established.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:54 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
The homeless will be there one way or the other. The choice (IMO) is whether you want to walk by them sleeping in an alleyway or lined up in front of a shelter. Of course, it's possible that a nice new shelter would draw more homeless people to Pittsburgh from the surrounding small towns.
I am not against this shelter at all. It is needed, but the question was how it effects the area. Will it effect Highland Park? I don't think it will, but it might effect the couple of blocks around the shelter. It remains to be seen, but if someone asks a question because they are concerned about something, I think it is better to answer the question and throw political correctness out the window. Someone is thinking of spending money on a home. They are trying to make an informed decision. I think it is unkind to be a politician in this case. The question wasn't if the shelter is good for Pittsburgh. It is will it effect home in that area. I think it will be a negative in a few blocks on all sides. Simple answer and direct. Would I buy a home across the street from a shelter like this? NO! Would I buy one three blocks away? Yes. Maybe some think living across from a shelter is okay. That is up to each person. I just know I don't want to be around that everyday. It is too depressing to see it out my front door ALL the time.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:54 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:
I don't see East Liberty as desirable hangout area of homeless. The type of hand out "business" that works for them isn't readily available in East Liberty. Whatever homeless are already in that area will be there. But I don't see a homeless shelter attracting more homeless to the area. They already have their campsites and social networks/safety groups established.
To the contraire, East Liberty has a lot to offer the homeless.

In addition to the E. Liberty Presbyterian soup kitchen, there are programs at the Eastminster Church a few blocks away, the Orr Center at 6023 Harvard to house homeless individuals just released from the hospital, a welfare office at Penn and Kirkwood, the Carnegie library on Baum, as well as money making opportunities at the biodecision at Penn and Bryant, a day labor hirer in the 5900 block of Penn and the plasma donation facility on Baum.

If I were homeless, I'd certainly consider the East Liberty community to hang out in.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:56 AM
gg

Quote:
You don't understand homeless people.
And you do?

Check out the amount of homeless hanging around the Presbyterian Church because of free food.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
To the contraire, East Liberty has a lot to offer the homeless.

In addition to the E. Liberty Presbyterian soup kitchen, there are programs at the Eastminster Church a few blocks away, the Orr Center at 6023 Harvard to house homeless individuals just released from the hospital, a welfare office at Penn and Kirkwood, the Carnegie library on Baum, as well as money making opportunities at the biodecision at Penn and Bryant, a day labor hirer in the 5900 block of Penn and the plasma donation facility on Baum.

If I were homeless, I'd certainly consider the East Liberty community to hang out in.
That's not what I meant. I meant that it's not condusive for begging on the sidewalks and street corners like downtown is. The pedestrian traffic doesn't have as deep pockets and the police aren't going to allow them to stand on a corner with a sign, like they do under the bridges in north side, because shoppers driving in from Squirrel Hill and Shadyside will complain.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
And you do?

Check out the amount of homeless hanging around the Presbyterian Church because of free food.
Do you think you need to prove your homeless to eat free food? How does one go about proving homelessness? Do you seriously think all of those people are homeless?

There's a large impoverished population in that area that aren't homeless going to the soup kitchens to eat.

Yes, there are homeless people in East Liberty, but EVERYONE you see lined up for free food isn't homeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh