Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 10:09 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,201,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's not what I meant. I meant that it's not condusive for begging on the sidewalks and street corners like downtown is. The pedestrian traffic doesn't have as deep pockets and the police aren't going to allow them to stand on a corner with a sign, like they do under the bridges in north side, because shoppers driving in from Squirrel Hill and Shadyside will complain.

Actually Oakland is a lot better place for panhandliing than downtown is.

College students are easier marks.

But East Liberty certainly does have its share of panhandlers as well, I used to work out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 10:13 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,636,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post

Okay. I'll concede to that. I forgot about Oakland.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:14 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,961,502 times
Quote:

LOL so true, so true.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:33 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,777,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Yes, there are homeless people in East Liberty, but EVERYONE you see lined up for free food isn't homeless.
Never said "everyone", but it would be the same effect if you live across the street from a place like that. That is this topic, it isn't about if there is a need for handouts or who exactly are the people looking for handouts. It is all about what it would be like to live next to a shelter. Maybe some think it is fine. I know I won't live there unless I absolutely have to. I just don't want to see people on the skids everyday when I get up in the morning. It would be pretty depressing. On the other hand there are people that work at these places for very little money. I commend them. It would be hard to handle for many.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:37 AM
gg

Quote:

But East Liberty certainly does have its share of panhandlers as well, I used to work out there.
Yes, Oakland is very popular for the can shakers.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:36 PM

248 posts, read 324,761 times
I think the shelter will certainly help homeless people and be a net benefit to the city. The shelters I'm familiar with do act as concentrators for the people that need their services (which makes sense). So my concerns are pretty much what h_curtis has elaborated on.

I don't think it's a safety problem but it does affect people's perception of an area and that will affect housing prices and desirability.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:13 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoh View Post
So my concerns are pretty much what h_curtis has elaborated on.

I don't think it's a safety problem but it does affect people's perception of an area and that will affect housing prices and desirability.
Which is what the OP was asking about. It isn't some political question that there is some political correctness in you answer. If you look at it from the perspective, will I invest in real estate across the street from that homeless shelter? To be quite honest, the property value went down. Will the property value go down in Highland Park because of this? I don't think it will go down, but Highland Park is on the edge of possible greatness or it will just be okay. Highland Park is relying on East Liberty if it is going to be some great neighborhood. If East Liberty gets to be a nice downtown that you can walk to with kids in a stroller and feel very comfortable, it will be great. If East Liberty has a bunch of shelters, homeless handouts drug rehabs and whatever, Highland Park will probably just stay about the same. It is a crap shoot. I don't care if you want to be all politically correct and say, oh that is great for Pittsburgh and nice that everyone is trying to help. That is all fine and well, but if you are throwing your life savings into a home and want to be a smart investor you need to know the risks. Is it a positive to East Liberty? Simple answer is NO, if you are wanting East Liberty to be really nice. Now that section won't be all that great. Larimer is right behind it, so that region will be about the last to get investors interested, unless it is for some section 8 or such a thing. No one is going to build a $300K home across the street and lets face it, with building costs the way they are, you aren't going to be able to build much cheaper if it is free standing.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:42 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,685,344 times
These folks need support so hopefully this will have a positive impact on the homeless population.

Yet at the same time there is some silver lining here. The fact that they need to open a 56,000 square foot homeless shelter in "America's Most Livable City" says volumes as to where this country is heading.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:00 AM

6,596 posts, read 8,914,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Yes, Oakland is very popular for the can shakers.
I still see some of the same panhandlers out there that I gave a buck to as a college freshman years ago.

I have seen panhandlers on Centre Ave in Shadyside/E. Liberty. E. Liberty has many of the institutions that a homeless person may require, and nearby Shadyside provides any panhandling opportunities they'd need.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:51 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,598,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
I still see some of the same panhandlers out there that I gave a buck to as a college freshman years ago.

I have seen panhandlers on Centre Ave in Shadyside/E. Liberty. E. Liberty has many of the institutions that a homeless person may require, and nearby Shadyside provides any panhandling opportunities they'd need.
I see them in front of Market District all the time. Very distractring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh