Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 12:15 PM

137 posts, read 274,659 times

Advertisements

We're planning to celebrate our 5th anniversary while visiting IL's, who live near Level Green. We could drive all the way to Squirrel Hill/Shadyside or downtown, but if there is a great restaurant close by... even better! Murrysville, Monroeville, even Greensburg would all work.

We'd prefer to keep it under $100 (excluding alcohol) and would like something non-chain, but with a decent sized menu (like, more than 8 things). Probably either steak, American, or Italian. DH doesn't really care for more adventurous cuisine like Indian or sushi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 01:43 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomerJen View Post
We're planning to celebrate our 5th anniversary while visiting IL's, who live near Level Green. We could drive all the way to Squirrel Hill/Shadyside or downtown, but if there is a great restaurant close by... even better! Murrysville, Monroeville, even Greensburg would all work.

We'd prefer to keep it under $100 (excluding alcohol) and would like something non-chain, but with a decent sized menu (like, more than 8 things). Probably either steak, American, or Italian. DH doesn't really care for more adventurous cuisine like Indian or sushi.
I can't think of much out that way, but what about that Mongolian restaurant that does the steak thing on Rodi Road? I have heard good things, but have never tried it. (I HAVE NOT TRIED IT, SO DON'T KNOW) Someone else could advise.

There are not a lot of places I would consider that great for such an event. I really enjoy Cross Keys in Fox Chapel. The price is perfect and it is special. That I can recommend and you can take the turnpike to Harmerville and be there pretty fast.

Cross Keys Inn

Old 06-12-2011, 05:06 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,230,638 times
D'Imperio's Website - Home Page

Try D'imperios in Monroeville. You will not be dissapointed. Great Italian food!

Old 06-12-2011, 05:53 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,965 times
Restaurants in Greensburg that you might want to check into are J. Corks (American/Steak), The Supper Club (Gastro Pub), One Eleven (American/Seafood), Valozzi's (Italian), and the Headkeeper (Tapas).

I know that you stated your preference for no chains and a large menu selection, but I wanted to suggest The Melting Pot for an anniversary dinner. While they are a chain, and their menu isn't huge, it is a nice slow-paced, private, and romantic dinner. It is also pretty hard for the kitchen or the wait staff to disappoint. I have never been to the Pittsburgh location, but I have always been pleased with my dining experiences in other locales. Plus, with the Station Square location, you can take the incline up Mt. Washington and take a stroll along Grandview, which affords the best views of the city. Also, there are always hefty Melting Pot coupons to be had (although, some might not want to whip out a coupon on a special night, after five years, you are probably over appearances).

Old 06-12-2011, 05:55 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,611,952 times
Monterey Bay Fish Grotto in Monroeville is not ridiculously pricy. Atrias in Murrysville is good, as is Table Twenty Two in Murrysville. Carinos in Monroeville is good Italian (less chainish than Olive Garden) although not as good as D'imperio's (also in Monroeville), as H_Curtis mentioned. Of course, Saga and Shogun are always fun Hibachi... not exactly upscale, but more fun and pricey than chain places.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:15 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
and the Headkeeper (Tapas).
I totally forgot about that place. I very much enjoy it and would go there again if I am out that way. Great, but I am a beer fan! They have a huge selection.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:19 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,308 times
Greensburg also has Robokyo and Giannilli's both along Route 30 in the vicinity of Westmoreland Mall. The former can be costly as it's an upscale Hibachi restaurant but the latter is very affordable and down home Italian food albeit with an upscale atmosphere. If you want Mexican, there's El Patron and Cozumel, both also located on Route 30 in Greensburg. Downtown Jeannette has an upscale seafood place called the Nest which seems to be pretty popular with the locals and people outside the area.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:30 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
Restaurants in Greensburg that you might want to check into are J. Corks (American/Steak), The Supper Club (Gastro Pub), One Eleven (American/Seafood), Valozzi's (Italian), and the Headkeeper (Tapas).
Do you have a favorite of those? Greensburg is really a nice place. We had a great lunch there at some little place called the Cellar Door Cafe. It was very good, but a lunch place only if I remember correctly.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:12 AM

780 posts, read 1,384,729 times
Been One Eleven several times and enjoyed it. Wife and I love Headkeepers and even the kids like many of the tapas.

We haven't tried J. Corks or The Supper Club yet but intend to one of these days.

Valozzi's crab cakes are pretty good but I think I like One Elevens slightly more (Monterrey Bay's are still slightly ahead of both, though).

There is also DeNunzio's (Italian) in downtown Jeannette or their other location out at the Latrobe Airport.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:57 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,611,952 times
No, no, no... I almost forgot. You definitely want Nardi's in Monroeville. White table-cloth dining on the top floor of the Jonnet building... best view outside of the city. Definitely exactly what you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh