Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 07:54 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times

Advertisements

Harp and Fiddle doesn't revolve around TV and they have many evenings that there is live music and dance.
William Penn's Bar that is in the lobby area doesn't have a TV, which is why I enjoy it. The other bar in that hotel is just another TV bar.

I have trouble thinking of a bar in Pittsburgh that isn't a TV bar. One of my favorite bars anywhere is North Country in Slippery Rock. The first floor has NO TV's! Guess that is why it is my favorite place. Are there any cool places that just don't do TV's at all around here? A place that might be into music or actually people talking to one and other without all the TV crap. It is amazing how many bars have stupid sitcoms on and people are there watching it. Why not just stay at home and watch something like that? It would be cool if a bar in Pittsburgh didn't have the Steeler game on. I don't watch the first half the season because it isn't as interesting as the second half. Maybe I am the only one. Guess I am looking for something a little more stimulating that watching a sitcom or a sports event at a bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 07:58 AM

The Naked Grape in Sewickley! I love that place and there is NO TV!

Old 06-13-2011, 08:39 AM

Goodness, I forgot one of the places I go... Cross Keys has a nice little bar with NO TV! It is funny these are places I seek out, but was hoping for some more. I have a feeling I may be the only person that will post on this thread for obvious reasons.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:41 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
I think The Map Room in Regent Square doesn't have a TV (or if it does, it isn't noticeable). Of course in general, places with outside seating are good if you don't want to be near a TV.

As for the logic of bar preferences--you can also drink alone at home without a TV on. Bars are generally for people who want to drink around other people, and other people sometimes like to watch TV together. If that isn't your thing that is fine, but it isn't illogical for other people to have different preferences for their social time.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:46 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
This isn't going to help add to the list, but I'm just wondering if it literally has to have no TV to count as not revolving around TV? Because when I'm in, well, usually it's a restaurant with bar, but the bar area typically has a TV, but in most cases at least right now with things like hockey and football out of season the TV volume is not on even if the TVs generally still are. I figure that may be the case in a lot of places right now.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I think The Map Room in Regent Square doesn't have a TV (or if it does, it isn't noticeable). Of course in general, places with outside seating are good if you don't want to be near a TV.

As for the logic of bar preferences--you can also drink alone at home without a TV on. Bars are generally for people who want to drink around other people, and other people sometimes like to watch TV together. If that isn't your thing that is fine, but it isn't illogical for other people to have different preferences for their social time.
I think you are missing the point. In many other cities there are tons of places to go without TV's as the main source of entertainment. Many have stages for performance or are music oriented. Pittsburgh seems like it is all sports bars and TV crap. It isn't very stimulating to many people that... well have half a brain. I mean if you are into Maury Povich, I guess that is your taste, but one would think there would be some people out there that might want some other form of entertainment. I suppose Club Cafe is another.

Yes, the Map Room. I of course go there for certain events that revolve around music.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:49 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Oh, I get you. It seems like most places that revolve around music are very specifically about that and are set up for covers and such. But then, I'm not really the right person to ask. You're the one that tries out every bar around. I like Club Cafe when I go, but I don't go just for the heck of it because you're shelling out some $$ for tix.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:52 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,665 times
I'm pretty sure the Sharp Edge in Crafton--It's been a little while since I've been there though. Either way, it's well worth visiting if you enjoy "liberal" beer.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
This isn't going to help add to the list, but I'm just wondering if it literally has to have no TV to count as not revolving around TV? Because when I'm in, well, usually it's a restaurant with bar, but the bar area typically has a TV, but in most cases at least right now with things like hockey and football out of season the TV volume is not on even if the TVs generally still are. I figure that may be the case in a lot of places right now.
I do understand the sports thing when the Steelers and Penguins are playing. There used to be a bar called the Parlour in Sharpsburg that had no TV. It sure was an interesting place with pool tables lots of different beers and great food. It is now closed, but the reason it closed wasn't the theme.

There are bars that are very successful without TV's. I named North Country in Slippery Rock because it is PACKED with people all the time and has no TV's. Can't Pittsburgh have that? Does Hofbrauhaus House have TV's? I cannot remember?

Old 06-13-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
I'm pretty sure the Sharp Edge in Crafton--It's been a little while since I've been there though. Either way, it's well worth visiting if you enjoy "liberal" beer.
ha ha ha, "liberal beer"!

The Sharp Edge in Friendship has TV's all over the place. More of a distraction than a main source of entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh