Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2011, 07:17 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Interestingly, this forum, and thread, are full of people that have been called "Pittsburgh cheerleaders" and the like, and it appears that none of us familiar with Philly are willing to agree that Downtown Pittsburgh has Center City beat.
You can be a "cheerleader" while simultaneously being a realist. This isn't another particular sub-forum where many of the regulars think the area has no flaws and anyone who does point out its flaws must be squashed. I love Pittsburgh dearly, but, alas, it DOES have its fair share of issues that really shouldn't be disavowed or ignored when broached.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 07:24 AM

4,692 posts, read 8,986,882 times
I do think Pittsburgh has an awesome downtown, and I think our downtown IS vibrant, especially compared to other downtowns in the midwest (Tulsa, anyone?) and rust belt. We've got a great downtown, but obviously it's not Chicago or Center City Philly -- it's too small! I think we should look at places like St. Louis and maybe Milwaukee to draw comparisons.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post

Even off beat places like Donnies or Pegasus couldn't cut it downtown. Might as well call it a day.
If he was homophobic, I don't think he would be so upset that these gay clubs moved from downtown...

Maybe he just thinks Pride marches are silly? I'm not condoning his sentiment (I was in the march!).

Old 06-17-2011, 08:19 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,540,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
You can be a "cheerleader" while simultaneously being a realist. This isn't another particular sub-forum where many of the regulars think the area has no flaws and anyone who does point out its flaws must be squashed. I love Pittsburgh dearly, but, alas, it DOES have its fair share of issues that really shouldn't be disavowed or ignored when broached.
Well, you get a lot of disagreement on what actually constitutes a flaw: weather, litter, stupid drivers, etc.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:27 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,777,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
If he was homophobic, I don't think he would be so upset that these gay clubs moved from downtown...

Maybe he just thinks Pride marches are silly? I'm not condoning his sentiment (I was in the march!).
My point was, the cutting edge places like Pegasus and Donnies both are gone from downtown. The march comment was me messing with Steel a little. Guess he didn't find humor in it. I could care less about the march stuff and don't have an opinion on how people choose to live their lives. Means nothing and any type of couple should be able to be legally married. I mean how silly not to allow it. Geez Steel, I thought you would see the humor. Lighten up.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:40 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,206,281 times
This cheerleading actually was started to counter the negative perception many outsiders had of Pittsburgh. Sure, some of the bad press was legit. However, those who lived in the Burgh knew that smoke coming out of those mills meant prosperity. That smoke from the mills built institutions like Heinz Hall, Carnegie-Mellon, Cathedral of Learning and on and on. So outsider's perception was somewhat correct in that the city was indeed dirty. Where it was flawed was assuming that Pittsburgh was full of only a bunch of Yinzers with no culture. Pittsburgh has had a ton of culture almost as long as it has been making steel. When my parents would go Down the Jersey Shore in the 1950s, people from NYC area and Jersey would make fun of them for being from Pittsburgh because in those days Pittsburgh was always the butt of jokes. Now New Yorkers and Jerseyites want to move to Pittsburgh because we offer much of the same, just with a better quality if life. So the cheerleading is an age old tradition here for always being defensive about our city's great attributes that were never discovered by outsiders very much until recent decades. NYC never had to be defensive because it is the greatest city in the world.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:00 PM

I also remember a couple years ago, when I first started coming to this board, there was a lot of negativity about the city. I remember there being more negativity among residents of the city, too. The cheer leading was definitely a response to that. I think attitudes toward the city have changed a lot in the last 2-3 years that I have lived here.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:15 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,871,363 times
I still think the G20 was an important turning point with respect to tone. Tons of positive press coverage came out of the G20, and since then it has slowed but never ended. Strangely enough, we are an "it city" right now, and fewer and fewer people are scratching their heads each time we end up high on some ranking.

However, probably the biggest single factor is just Pittsburgh's ongoing relatively good performance during the recession and recovery (and I stress "relatively", since we didn't dodge it all). Doing this well, this long, relative to national averages hasn't happened for a very long time (if ever).

Old 06-17-2011, 03:42 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,932,160 times
It is nice to have good news about the city. I was here during the 80s when the botom fell out and nobody thought things would ever be the same again. It took several decades, but we've now reached the point where others are taking notice. It's turned into a really nice place that kept the best of the old building the new, and is attracting a wider array of people. Physically, its natural setting was always magnificent and now the quality of life is great. I agree that the turning point may have been the G20. Sure, it has problems and issues like everywhere else, and there are a lot of things I'd like to see improved upon, but I think we're making incredible progress.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:26 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,164,327 times
BlackBeauty212, Dt. Pittsburgh has a great arena. It has 3 river stadiums. Downtown has lots of natural settings. It's very well developed with no surface lots, which Philly's Center City has alot of. The cultural districty is outstanding. I can go on and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh