U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 02:31 PM

353 posts, read 764,099 times

Advertisements

Just finding a rental that is near Pittsburgh in Westmoreland County at all is a challenge. Most of the areas of western Westmoreland are single-unit, middle-upper class suburbs... and that is before you factor in the price you are looking for....

Your best bets are going to be the river valley communities... New Kennsington, Arnold, and Lower Burrell, in the Northwest of the county... Monessen in the Southwest. The plus is that both have pretty decent direct connections to the city (though the Northwest is def better, going down rt 28). The downside is that those areas are pretty run down... especially Monessen.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 02:32 PM

353 posts, read 764,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
Moving states to attend a community college?
WCCC has some pretty decent programs for computer science, so it's not actually all the ridiculous.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:19 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,360,771 times
I work at the Youngwood campus and I could say that we get a lot of people from beyond Westmoreland County, especially those out of state. The allied health programs are very popular here as well as the culinary/hospitality and computer science programs. Consider the low tuition and you're basically going here for a lot less than most other schools.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:22 PM

132 posts, read 240,380 times
I live in Murrysville (next to Monroeville), which is one of the closest towns in Westmoreland county to Pittsburgh. I work in Downtown Pitts and takes me an hour to get to work in the mornings under ideal conditions with traffic; in the winters when the weather is snowy/icy + accidents 1.5-2hrs.... just some food for thought. Yes, its "relatively" close to the city, but its kind of a PITA trip to have to make ever day, especially in the winter. Good luck with your search.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:36 PM

3 posts, read 9,455 times
I grew up in Westmoreland County ( North Huntingdon/ Irwin area). I do know that there are some small apts that are rented by private individuals near your price range. The commute to Pittsburgh is a long one, but you are probably only going to do it for a year or two. I would advise you to look in Irwin, North Irwin, Trafford, Herminie, Delmont, Export or Jeanette. It is still a fairly rural county and if you are unable to find an apartment to rent in your price range, you can probably find a mobile home to rent.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:24 PM

6 posts, read 5,164 times
Thank you for your help everyone! We just went apartment shopping and are content with the price range and location of Villages of Easton and Brookside. He will be making a trip back there on Wednesday to look around some more. We do have a community college here in Ohio and affordable apartment living (ask if want to know more to the one person who was inquiring). He will be going for the culinary program since it is the nearest college that has a good certified program. Loved Greensburg and Irwin so hoping to stay around that area. And also love Arona Road so we could avoid tolls after turning around a million times since we kept getting lost and kept paying tolls. Alot hardder moving out of state then I thought. Going to look for some rentals in duplexes within the next few days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh