Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 02:28 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times

Advertisements

Foreign Workers Flee Silicon Valley | NBC Bay Area

Pittsburgh has the most educated immigrant labor force in the nation, says Brookings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 02:42 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Our immigrants are in fact awesome. Few in number, but great contributors to the region on an average per capita basis.

So if we could figure out how to double our the immigration rate while keeping the immigrant mix approximately the same, it would be a huge boost to our regional development. Unfortunately that would probably take some changes in federal immigration policy--but on the plus side, people are starting to talk about the relevant sorts of changes.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:56 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Thank you. Thank you. I have been counseling young folks who want to move to Oregon to check out Pittsburgh. So much better for a person starting out. Funny, I don't know if I have changed anyone's mind. That branding again. But, it seems the smart ones are catching on. Good for you all.

We keep attracting layabout bongo slappers and Range Rover driving yoga instructors (admittedly fewer in number), but then we do have a reputation to uphold...

Old 06-16-2011, 05:51 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
I don't mind some filtering for migrants who prioritize practical factors like cost of living over following the hippest trends. For that matter, I don't mind some filtering for migrants who prioritize those factors over having the most prestigious employer or highest possible salary. Pittsburgh doesn't have to be the right place for everyone, just for a small minority, in order to get on a sustainable and health growth path. And I kind of like the practical, unpretentious, not-such-a-ratrace vibe of Pittsburgh as it stands today (probably because that fits so well with who I am).

Old 06-16-2011, 10:28 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Oh come on, you know you want some of these....
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_0fVacnZ-gJ...d_hipsters.jpg

Old 06-17-2011, 12:56 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Sexy.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:04 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Been to Lawrenceville lately? LOL!

Old 06-17-2011, 10:11 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
I'm not sure the Silicon Valley article is a ringing endorsement of Pittsburgh--it sounds more like a warning, IMO. Here's a quote:

"At least 30 percent of the country’s working-age immigrants, regardless of legal status, have at least a bachelor’s degree, while only 28 percent lack a high school diploma.

If they took our jobs, it's because they were more qualified. And were OK with living in Cleveland."

So the way I read it, people are moving in who are more qualified, willing to take lower pay, and willing to compete with the local population for jobs. And not just the undesirable jobs. Those with college degrees are going to be competing for professional positions. Is it a good thing? Maybe, maybe not. Pittsburgh will get more diversity, which is a good thing, and having more residents with degrees can be a good thing, too. But, it may not be good news for local people looking for a job.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:14 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I'm not sure the Silicon Valley article is a ringing endorsement of Pittsburgh--it sounds more like a warning, IMO. Here's a quote:

"At least 30 percent of the country’s working-age immigrants, regardless of legal status, have at least a bachelor’s degree, while only 28 percent lack a high school diploma.

If they took our jobs, it's because they were more qualified. And were OK with living in Cleveland."

So the way I read it, people are moving in who are more qualified, willing to take lower pay, and will compete with the local population for jobs. Those with college degrees are going to be competing for professional level jobs. Is it a good thing? Maybe, maybe not. Pittsburgh will get more diversity, which is a good thing, but it may not help the local employment situation.
Local Employment situation?

Old 06-17-2011, 10:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
I read the two articles, also the Brookings report itself. As usual, the "back story" is a little different from the headlines, which of course are not written by the authors of the articles, anyway. There is nothing to support "foreign workers fleeing Silicon Valley". There is no sentence stating that Pittsburgh has the most educated immigrants in the nation, although the "skill ratio" (something of the Brookings Institute's own devising) is highest for Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh also has the second lowest immigrant population percentage, at 3.0, above only Jackson, Mississippi. As an immigrant population increases, the skill ration will naturally decrease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh