Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 11:50 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,895,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I don't recall the time when PAT workers were agreeing to take low salaries in return for higher pensions.
That happened with every CBA, of course. Both the wage schedule and retirement benefits are always negotiated jointly.

Quote:
I also don't think youll find any meaningful support to find things by increasing any fees or taxes on people as the transportation commission suggested.
As has been noted many, many times in this thread, there is a broad coalition in favor of enacting the TFAC recommendations, and the legislature wanted to act last fall. It was only Corbett who shut them down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
The problem is there isn't a lot of support for doing what it would take for PAT to trim it's legacy costs. There are too many union members in PA collecting nice pensions, and would be worried their's will be next, so they will fight any effort to allow legacy costs to be cut.
And don't forget people who are anti-transit like having PAT's legacy costs as a rationalization for cutting its funding. For example, Corbett is suggesting his potential support for restoring PAT's state funding is contingent on concessions PAT can get in their next CBA. Notably, he isn't talking about asking his allies in the legislature to make cutting PAT's legacy benefit cuts possible.

So undoubtedly, state-law retirement benefits reform is going to be a long term project. However, I actually think it will be doable in the long run, assuming this is the last gasp of the aging, pro-rural, anti-urban, tea-party-types in PA.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:32 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,847,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
As has been noted many, many times in this thread, there is a broad coalition in favor of enacting the TFAC recommendations, and the legislature wanted to act last fall. It was only Corbett who shut them down.
I'm speaking of the citizens of the state - I have seen no evidence that they are wanting and willing to pay more fees or taxes (which is a large part of the TFAC recommendations) in order to prop up the transit system.

More of the usual case of wanting maximum services with minimal payment which obviously doesn't jive.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:39 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,802,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Did you mean to link to the same article that I linked to?

Saying that the drink tax should have helped things doesn't make sense to me. It was most certainly a new tax, but it wasn't much of a revenue increase for Port Authority. It was just a numbers game that the county was playing in order to give Port Authority essentially the same amount as always. An increase of less than 1% doesn't even account for inflation, let alone the soaring costs of gas prices and health care.
Yes I did mean the link to be the same. Being someone that has to pay all these taxes unlike this Blackbeauty that doesn't even live here, I am sick and tired of raising and creating new taxes. Can you understand that at all???????? Don't whine and complain to me about why PAT is always in trouble. The bottom line is actually greed and people being paid too much because of a monopoly, but as someone that actually has to pay the crazy taxes in our county, that is my greatest concern. Shift money that you have around accordingly, but raise my taxes again and create a new tax that is totally unfair and you are going to be voted out. Doing nothing IMHO, is a great thing. Less is more.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:47 PM
gg

Quote:
I'm speaking of the citizens of the state - I have seen no evidence that they are wanting and willing to pay more fees or taxes (which is a large part of the TFAC recommendations) in order to prop up the transit system.
Correct! If you take away blackbeauty who doesn't live in this state at all and Brian, who is always for more taxes, you really have no one left. This thread would be 3 pages long if you take blackbeauty out of it. Keeping in mind she doesn't pay a penny of what we pay. Why? She lives in NYC.

Anyway, there is NO support for increasing taxes or fees as you say UK. Therefore at this time, the leaders that be are correct in DOING NOTHING! They are agreeing with the people. I don't care if two people shout as much as they like, but the bottom line is everyone, but about 2 people are upset over all these new taxes and such to prop up a failing greedy industry. They get what they deserve.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
The only relevant polling I have seen found that 54% of the people in the state rated "Passing a comprehensive transportation plan to fix the state’s roads and bridges" the most important issue or one of the most important issues facing the state legislature, the highest rating of any of the issues tested. Notably this poll was taken after the TFAC published its report and during the period in which the legislature was considering passing its recommendations.

And, of course, our state legislature is not known for its political courage, so the fact they calculated it was better to act than not act on the TFAC's recommendations is also relevant.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:06 PM

6,598 posts, read 8,921,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Yes I did mean the link to be the same. Being someone that has to pay all these taxes unlike this Blackbeauty that doesn't even live here, I am sick and tired of raising and creating new taxes. Can you understand that at all???????? Don't whine and complain to me about why PAT is always in trouble. The bottom line is actually greed and people being paid too much because of a monopoly, but as someone that actually has to pay the crazy taxes in our county, that is my greatest concern. Shift money that you have around accordingly, but raise my taxes again and create a new tax that is totally unfair and you are going to be voted out. Doing nothing IMHO, is a great thing. Less is more.
I can understand being against new taxes like the drink tax, but I don't understand how you can direct that anger towards PAT. The drink tax money goes to PAT, but it was offset by money that used to come from other County funds (sales and property tax). The drink tax had virtually no effect on PAT's budget. All the drink tax did was allow the county to either A.) avoid increasing other taxes or B.) Avoid making other cuts. It has nothing to do with PAT's funding troubles, which are caused by a cut in state funds.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:12 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,857,276 times
Quote:
I can understand being against new taxes like the drink tax, but I don't understand how you can direct that anger towards PAT. The drink tax money goes to PAT, but it was offset by money that used to come from other County funds (sales and property tax). The drink tax had virtually no effect on PAT's budget. All the drink tax did was allow the county to either A.) avoid increasing other taxes or B.) Avoid making other cuts. It has nothing to do with PAT's funding troubles, which are caused by a cut in state funds.
Keep explaining it....someones bound to get through to that guy...

Old 06-03-2012, 05:17 PM
gg

Quote:
...but I don't understand how you can direct that anger towards PAT.
PAT's troubles were the excuse to extract more money from the innocent bar and restaurant owners. They had nothing to do with this problem.

All I can gather is they will need to INCREASE taxes again to keep PAT afloat. I am not for that. Don't you get it? I am tired of more and more taxes going towards pensions for these fat cat monopoly people. I could care less about them and certainly don't want to contribute to their schemes.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:20 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Keep explaining it....someones bound to get through to that guy...
Duh, you keep living in some other part of the country and chiming in on something you don't deal with. Someday you will get it. We are tired of paying more and more taxes! What are they recommending? More tax to pay for this crap. I am here to tell you I DON'T want to pay more. The drink tax was promised to me to help. It didn't. They seem to be using that money to not raise taxes. The bottom line is there is a shortfall. CUT not raise my living expenses. I pay enough!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh