Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 09:19 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
So, practically speaking there is no way to scale back the legacy costs. Unless, there are savings that come from retiree health insurance premiums? I have to be missing something. Where is Corbett and Fitzgerald hoping that that legacy costs savings come from?
I think when they are using the term "legacy cost", they are mostly referring not just to vested retirement benefits, but also retirement benefits that will be acquired in the future. The latter category can be cut in a new labor contract, like any other terms of future compensation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 09:39 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
So, practically speaking there is no way to scale back the legacy costs. Unless, there are savings that come from retiree health insurance premiums? I have to be missing something. Where is Corbett and Fitzgerald hoping that that legacy costs savings come from?

If the union agreed to pay 50% of their premiums would the retirees would have to do the same?
Although some unions allow retirees to remain members, they are not subject to collective bargaining agreements upon retirement. The collective bargaining agreement offers no protection to them at all, with regulations (federal for private workers, state in this case), ensuring that the pension payments must be paid. A union can bargain for a cost-of-living adjustment for existing retirees, but they cannot bargain to lower the benefit in any way, as benefits are considered vested in the year they accrue.

Workers cost share on retiree health care costs are not covered under any state law, AFAIK. That said, precedent treats these as if they are pension benefits, so even if a union agrees that new hires have lower levels of benefits, it's typically not applied to current retirees.

That said, it has to be stressed that raising the premium share so high would effectively make the retirement age the date Medicare eligibility, rather than the actual age specified in the pension plan.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:45 AM

By the way, I wonder if you could do something like ask current employees to partially bail out PAT by contributing money to the retirement funds in exchange for no benefits. I have no idea if that is even legal (there are a lot of laws regulating what you can and cannot do as far as retirement funds are concerned), but so far it is the only way I can come up with that current employees could potentially agree to help out with PAT's actual legacy costs.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:57 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
By the way, I wonder if you could do something like ask current employees to partially bail out PAT by contributing money to the retirement funds in exchange for no benefits. I have no idea if that is even legal (there are a lot of laws regulating what you can and cannot do as far as retirement funds are concerned), but so far it is the only way I can come up with that current employees could potentially agree to help out with PAT's actual legacy costs.
You can do this for retiree healthcare through a VEBA (the UAW did this with the Big Three in 2007). It's illegal to do do this with pensions.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:30 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Portland's TriMet transit agency is eliminating its free rail zone in downtown Portland effective Sept. 1. The free zone was introduced by the agency in 1975 to promote the use of transit in light of air quality issues in the city. The change is expected to generate nearly $3 million annually in additional fare revenue.

The agency is also eliminating the zone system at the same time. Beginning Sept. 1, a systemwide, single ride ticket will be $2.50 and a single day pay will be $5.00. The zone system was originally created to keep fares affordable for minority and low-income riders who lived in the central city... travel and population patterns have changed and the zone system is no longer necessary for the city
Portland's TriMet eliminates free rail zone - TRAINS Magazine

Old 08-09-2012, 12:53 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Port Authority of Allegheny County, transit union have contract deal - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 08-09-2012, 12:57 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Let's see what happens.....

Old 08-09-2012, 01:30 PM

Hopefully the state has privately signed off on the deal as well, in which case the only remaining hurdle would be the member approval.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:45 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
I would hope that the Port Authority management would only agree to a deal if the deal would be approved by Corbett.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I would hope that the Port Authority management would only agree to a deal if the deal would be approved by Corbett.
It is possible (although I hope not likely) that Corbett would refuse to actually give approval in advance.

But yes, if approval from Corbett was in fact obtainable, one would hope they obtained it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh