Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2012, 09:34 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,992,376 times

Advertisements

The solution to this situation is to just set fares which cover the cost of providing the service.

That same solution would work for the USPS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 09:42 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
Cost shifting is the name of the game today, Enough_Already. At the local level there are screams for the state to provide the unicorn. At the state level, they scream for the federal government unicorn to intervene.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:56 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,632,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
The solution to this situation is to just set fares which cover the cost of providing the service.

Makes sense, but they keep raising fare prices, so there doesn't really seem to be a fare that it should be set at.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:58 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:

Sure is an interesting puzzle. Why are all these places hurting when they used to work in the past? I personally feel at the Federal Level of our government, the money has stopped. Most of our budget is spent on military, therefore there are no funds to enhance our lives at home. We are now left for fend for ourselves, yet we are paying taxes for what? Not much. The system is truly broken. The quality of life in Pittsburgh is like most other cities. Public services are being cut left and right. Sure, NYC can keep it going due to that massive numbers of people, but that isn't true for most medium/smaller cities. I wish it would somehow stop, but I fear it will continually get worse and worse. From top to bottom, the entire system is run on fear. It works for big government, but does it work locally? No!

Old 01-20-2012, 10:01 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,574 times
Quote:

I'll agree, the second that we hold all other forms of transportation equally responsible. I'm sick of my taxes subsidizing suburban and rural roads.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:25 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,632,037 times
One more PAT story re: drivers.

Note: not all of the details are known as to if the driver is at fault, but I seem to rarely ever hear about a bus driver ever being at fault for an accident, even though there are witnesses that say they are.

Bus Hits Woman Downtown - Pittsburgh News Story - WTAE Pittsburgh

Old 01-20-2012, 11:04 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,160,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post

Note: not all of the details are known as to if the driver is at fault, but I seem to rarely ever hear about a bus driver ever being at fault for an accident, even though there are witnesses that say they are.

I don't know if Pittsburgh (or PA in general) works this way, but when I lived in CT, if a state-owned vehicle (read: plow truck) hits you, regardless of actual fault, the liability is always on the end of the driver in the privately-owned vehicle.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:04 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post

There aren't many details as of yet, but if she was struck while jaywalking (including starting into a crosswalk when the red hand had already started blinking red, which is a HUGE pet peeve of mine) then I don't have much sympathy. If the bus just turned into the crosswalk as soon as the light turned green and took her out, then, yes, I have a lot of sympathy here.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:05 AM

Jobs are flowing out of this country due in a large part to our tax structure. Until we get government spending under control we cannot have a tax structure which encourages companies to grow in the United States. It is time for the government to stop subsidizing anything and everything. Setting the fares based on cost would be simple. Then we would not need taxes to subsidize services that do not make economic sense.

I am tired of being stuck behind buses that stop every few feet. Nobody ever computes the cost of the time lost when people are behind buses in traffic. I am tired of seeing buses in the evening and night on the road when the are empty or nearly empty. That is a waste of taxpayer dollars.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
I'll agree, the second that we hold all other forms of transportation equally responsible. I'm sick of my taxes subsidizing suburban and rural roads.
Gasoline taxes paying for roads is much closer to a user fee than people who pay taxes to support bus service they never use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh