Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2012, 09:51 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,629,899 times

Advertisements

I feel like I'm reading a transcript from one of those boring round table discussion shows, you know the one where those 80 year old fogies bicker at each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 10:13 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
the legislature his party controls being willing to act on those recommendations

It's not clearly the case that the Gen Ass is willing to act. Corman's bills (SB 4, 1326, 1327) and the Hanna-Frankel counterparts (HB 2099, 2101, 2112) are all still stuck in committee and neither the Senate nor House transportation cmttes have meetings scheduled for the next few months.

Meanwhile, Stephens & Godshall (and Jack Wagner) are making noises which are hardly transit-friendly, and both Tony Norman's column today and this piece reiterate Corbett's opposition to increasing registration and licensing fees.

Corman appears to be the only ranking Republican in the Gen Ass to be taking the issue seriously, he isn't likely to gain much traction for SB 4 with Corbett dead-set against it, and SB 1327 isn't likely to prosper with Wagner & co. making noises about the Turnpike's need for cash.

The only significant force in the Gen Ass making noises for increased funding for PAT and other mass-transit systems is the Allegheny Co delegation. I doubt whether they have the clout to force the opposition to budge Corbett's Norquist-inspired "no retreat" order. Elsewhere, there are some murmurs but no sign of an uprising and certainly no serious intention by the majority to defy their governor's veto.

PAT isn't going to get any roadside assistance when the wheels fall off.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Right now, I'm expecting his plan to basically stick to the "You screwed yourselves, so we're screwing you even harder" line.
Yep - That's where the safe money is.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:28 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
It's not clearly the case that the Gen Ass is willing to act. Corman's bills (SB 4, 1326, 1327) and the Hanna-Frankel counterparts (HB 2099, 2101, 2112) are all still stuck in committee and neither the Senate nor House transportation cmttes have meetings scheduled for the next few months.
I agree it is not proven, and won't be until they actually do something, but the process last fall was shut down by Corbett, which is why everything is stalled, and everyone is waiting to see what he recommends in his upcoming budget. Which he is keeping silent about for now.

Personally, I'm not very hopeful about what Corbett actually proposes, but I am hopeful that he will not rule out any possibility of compromising. In other words, if he retreats from the pure "veto" stance and starts working with the legislature, there may be hope for at least a partial remedy--whether he will do that or not is currently unknown.

I would note again, by the way, that there is a very wide range of stakeholders lobbying the legislature and the Governor to act, including a lot of the chamber-of-commerce types. Those types don't always beat the Tea Party types, but they don't always lose either.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
if he retreats from the pure "veto" stance and starts working with the legislature
That's the point - at the moment, he is working with the legislature. There's very little sign of opposition.

Quote:
a very wide range of stakeholders lobbying the legislature and the Governor to act, including a lot of the chamber-of-commerce types.
You mean lunch at the country club? It's a bit late but if you leave now you may catch the Q&A.

Last edited by squarian; 01-31-2012 at 10:48 AM..

Old 01-31-2012, 10:47 AM

So far, the only sign I see that Chamber of Commerce types are taking a serious stance is coming from the Allegheny Conference, which held a meeting a week ago and plans another next month. "More than a hundred" businessmen in a room is not something to provoke yawns from Mr. Corbett, but so far this is a lonely initiative.

Port Authority cut proposal riles businesses - Pittsburgh Business Times

Port Authority of Allegheny County proposes route cuts, employers explore options - Pittsburgh Business Times

http://www.alleghenyconference.org/P...Cuts011812.pdf

Old 01-31-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
That's the point - at the moment, he is working with the legislature. There's very little sign of opposition.
I'm not sure those are the right terms to use to ask the question. There is basically no chance the Republicans in the legislature will actually override a veto from Corbett. In that sense, they will never be "opposition".

However, they may have more interest in doing something substantial about adopting the TFAC's recommendations. So for something substantial to be done, Corbett does have to back off, but I don't think he necessarily needs to lead the charge.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
So far, the only sign I see that Chamber of Commerce types are taking a serious stance is coming from the Allegheny Conference
There is also the Keystone Transportation Funding Coalition:

More voices join chorus on transportation funding

For that matter, the TFAC itself was stacked with such interests.

Edit: I believe this is the Keystone Coalition's membership list:

http://www.reconnectpa.org/WHO.html

Last edited by BrianTH; 01-31-2012 at 11:16 AM..

Old 01-31-2012, 01:29 PM

And speak of the devil - the Allegheny Co Gen Ass delegation was out in front of a picturesque local beauty spot today, banging the drum.

State Democrats lobby for transportation funds (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12031/1207180-100.stm - broken link)

Rep. Joseph Markosek (D, Mumbai) is quoted as saying "Republicans and Democrats in the Legislature are "standing shoulder to shoulder" in support of more transportation funding".

But oddly enough, the politicians quoted in the piece were Sen. Jay Costa (D, Old Corruption), Rep. Frank Dermody (D, Machineville) and Rep. Dan Frankel (D, Grant St).

Maybe the Republicans were standing shoulder to shoulder somewhere else?

Old 01-31-2012, 03:38 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I think I made my view clear.
At least 5,368 times. Now go back to the borough and suck down some single malt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh