Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 06:39 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
iPhones are for people who want to be seen with their phone.
Painting w/ a broad brush, are we? I've had my iPhone 3GS now for 2 years. It works as well today as it did 2 years ago....no noticeable degradation in battery life and use it extensively. Never had a problem with reception anywhere in the Pittsburgh area, either. I have AT&T and while I'm usually not thrilled at their customer service, I've never had a problem with reception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 06:51 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgal198 View Post
Hi everyone,
We just moved to the area and I have to get a new cell phone. What network seems to be reliable in these parts? We'll be living in Wexford if that matters. Ideally I'd like to get an iPhone, but if those don't work here, I can get something else too.
Thanks
Verizon Wireless's regional headquarters is in the Wexford area, service is great.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:05 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I have AT&T and my calls are CONSTANTLY dropped from inside my apartment. I'm not a happy camper. You'd think one of the nation's largest metro areas would have better coverage from AT&T, but apparently they don't care about competing with Verizon here.
That hillside spot is a tough one probably. Reception would be better if you were all the way in the valley, or on top of the hill. In the middle is often the worst. Have you tested another company's phone there? I wonder if you might have the same problem with all of them.

From what I understand it's not the type of system that the companies use but more the frequencies they use them on that makes a bigger difference in stuff like penetrating buildings. (Sometimes it's the location of towers, but often enough they can have antennas located on the same towers.) Still, there are frequency differences in AT&T vs Verizon and that is why Verizon signals sometimes in the same spot be better at penetrating buildings. But it's not universally one better than the other, as SammyKhalifa can attest. Soon enough AT&T and Verizon will both be on 4G LTE (you can get a couple Verizon phones on this now, plus data service that's really fast), but this alone won't resolve all reception differences.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:24 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
We have had Sprint for 6 years. Frankly, we haven't had a problem with it. I realize that iPhones, AT&T and Verizon are more popular but we don't need the latest technology so they work for us. If you want to save a few bucks I would consider Sprint. In a city like da Burgh pretty much any carrier will be ok.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:38 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,872,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
For what it's worth, I absolutely hate hate HATE Verizon and its customer service. Especially the customer service. I've never had the "pleasure" of dealing with such people until I had the audacity to try to buy Internet service from them.

I just can't switch my phone because I'm grandfathered into a deal that's too cheap for me to drop.
Every time I've called Verizon customer service they've been friendly, pleasant, and helpful. One month I forgot to pay my bill and even the collections guy that called me was terribly polite.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:19 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
From what I understand it's not the type of system that the companies use but more the frequencies they use them on that makes a bigger difference in stuff like penetrating buildings. (Sometimes it's the location of towers, but often enough they can have antennas located on the same towers.)
That is largely correct, but the FCC has tied together the frequency and technology in the way it grants licenses. All that is also entangled in tower locations, because often in rural locations AT&T/TMobile would actually need a lot more towers to provide the same coverage.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:47 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
I find it interesting this discussion. I have ATT and never have dropped calls. I even go to very rural areas in Northern PA and ATT was the only provider where my dad lives, so everyone had it.

I was talking to a few people at an ATT store and they said it depends on the phones you use. Iphones aren't very good with ATT system, but Nokia's are great. I have had Nokia phones for a very long time and never want to change them due to the great coverage I get.

All I can say is this has been my experience and others that work in the stores at ATT. No idea why and don't really care as long as the phone I use works well. If I had an Iphone, which I never will, I would use Verizon, but I have had a cell phone since the mid '80's and really don't like them. The novelty has long ago worn off and my use of cell phones have dropped to almost no use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: